Travolta's Son -- Fatal Blow to Head

1/3/2009 2:36 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned what may have killed Jett Travolta, and it's not what police have suggested.

We've spoken with John Travolta's lawyer and close friend, Michael McDermott, and family attorney Michael Ossi, both of whom are with John in the Bahamas. They tell TMZ it appears Jett's fatal injury was the result of hitting his head on the bathtub, toilet seat, or both. And they say the intimation that Jett went undiscovered for hours is absolutely false.

Police have said the last time anyone saw Jett was when he went to the bathroom on January 1. His body was discovered by nanny Jeff Kathrein the next day at 10 AM. In fact, McDermott and Ossi say it appears Jett went back and forth to his room and the fatal injury occurred "very shortly" before Jett was found on the bathroom floor -- McDermott called it a "small window of time."

McDermott and Ossi tell us two nannies were present on the trip and Jeff was by his side 24/7. There was a baby monitor device by Jett's side and there was also a chimer in the bathroom when the door opened.

McDermott and Ossi say it is still unclear if Jett fell to the floor as a result of a seizure or if he had a seizure after falling or slipping. There was blood on the floor of the bathroom, but "not a tremendous amount." It appears the striking of Jett's head was the cause of death, though it won't be clear until the autopsy is performed Monday morning.

Jett's body will be embalmed Monday afternoon. There will be a local showing on Tuesday and later that day the body will be flown to Ocala, Fla. for burial.

McDermott says both John and Kelly are night owls. John often goes to sleep at around 5 AM. But McDermott says both nannies were at the hotel and Jeff always present.

McDermott tells us a hotel manager was first on scene with Jeff and the two of them administered CPR. John came in shortly thereafter and John took over for a "substantial period of time [and] was performing CPR and continued that until EMT came and took over."

McDermott says as for Travolta and Preston, the pain is "unimaginable and unquantifiable."

UPDATE: The Grand Bahamas health minister confirms that the autopsy will be conducted by two pathologists to ensure a proper evaluation has been made. A clinical and forensic pathologist from Nassau, that is U.S. certified, will fly into Grand Bahama on Monday to help perform the autopsy.

ChattieDee8991

I am deeply sorry on the loss of your son Jett...My prayers go out to the Travolta family. Losing a child has to be the hardest thing for anyone to go through...Why dont you rude people let them grieve, instead of keep writing about their religion. Just because they are celebrities, they are still human. Rest in peace Jett...

maryK

I have had a seizure disorder for over 40 years. I am on medication, but, occsionally, I still have a breakthrough seizure. Medication is NOT 100%.

My prayers go out to Mr. Travolta and Ms. Preston, their daughter, and all who know and love this family.

Wendy

Kelly Preston is one of my favorites. She is a classy lady as John Travolta is a wonderful actor and gentleman. Leave them alone. What a tragedy! I don't know anything about their religion, but the freedom to choose is for everyone. My heart goes out to them.

steve

seizers or not jett still fell over his own two feet and didnt know how too walk lol the travolta family is all a bunch of psycho freaks who refused too give jett his medicationbogus religion cult fallowers just like heavens gate was lol

Isabella Darwin

@ Welcome Back & Helena

Fact of the matter is.. I DO LIVE IN ANOTHER COUNTRY,, and yes, in Europe. That doesn't make me any less American, however, and I think its disgusting the way people on this thread have been bashing the Travolta family in their grief, and who feel they can just say any nasty old thing they want when they know absolutely nothing about the personal lives of that family. I never said anything bad abut TMZ for reporting the story, so don't put words in my mouth. I said that Americans have no empathy and compassion left, and I stand by that statement.. the insulting and callous comments in this thread is proof of that. And for the record, there are millions of people all over the European Union that would agree with me.

SUSAN OTTERSON

my heart is with the Travolta family. There is nothing that anyone can say to make these parents feel any better. There is no greater loss than a child. as for people questioning why there was 2 nannies and baby monitor, that there must have been more wrong with this boy, it is not our busness. They were parents doing the best for their child, as I am sure anyone of us would do as parents. I send my deepest sympathy to the Travolta family and we should allow this family to greeve privatley.

Jeannie

My heart goes out to the to family, this is there time to mourn the lost of there child and who are we to judge, they where a wonderful family that oviuosley loved this child.
When I read some of these comments all that came to mind was what has this world come to when all we can do is condem people for there life styles and beliefs, Wat I would like to know is the people that wrote these comments on there beliefs and life styles Who are you to judge? and I pray that you never have a tragedy in your family for I would hate to know how you handled it.
Lets take the time to pray for them and not throw stones.

les

#10 Cruise's "failed" Nazi movie has made 60 million dollars. Hardly "failed".

les

No one knows for sure what this child had, and I can't for the life of me wonder why it's anyone's business.

From what I have read, Travolta spent all his weekends while he was filming with his family and took his son to sets with him. Not all Hollywood celebrities parade their children in front of the camera a la the Jolie-Pitts. They moved to Florida to stay out of the limelight. Some of you people with the nasty comments may want to watch it - karma is a bit**

les

There are many religious and non-religious beliefs around the use of medicine. For all of you who are screaming for an investigation better start with Jevhovah Witnesses and Seventh Day Adventists. They also have specific beliefs about the use of meds and life-saving blood transfusions.

tsprague1

My heart goes out to John, Kelly and Ella. As a parent who has had a child die (mine was 2 years ago), I know the heartache that they will be going through for the next few years. The best advice that I have is to take what you are going through one instant at a time. It's ok to grieve, it's ok to cry. There is no wrong way to grieve. Remember that just because a family member is not showing grief in the same way that you are, doesn't mean that they are not grieving.

darling nikki

Posted at 2:37PM on Jan 4th 2009 by Mizibelle

Treasonous whore. You are not American, you are Euro-trash.

ScottsdaleCheryl

God allows these tradgedies in our lives to deliver us from false teachings, to turn us from evil and back to a real relationship with him. It is not about religion, but about a relationship. Jesus is the only one who died for us and by his stripes we are healed and cleansed to be reunited with our Heavenly Father and the Holy Spirit. The love, his sacrifice, his peace and friendship surpass all other relationships we could ever have. Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. I pray this precious family returns to Jesus and allows his love, mercy and healing to comfort them through the grieving process. My heart aches for them. God's heart aches for them, God loves them and desires them to crawl into his lap, so he can comfort and hold them. Jesus, no other name, by which man can be saved. Gods healing and peace be with them all. God never created the world for this, but redemption is ours for the asking, he is patiently waiting, loving us, as he does.

JILL

This is a very sad story, I have been a John Travolta fan since I was a kid with his pictures taped all over my bedroom walls. I have seen every single movie and had the great pleasure of seeing him twice at a the ShoWest convention in Las Vegas. I am a single mom with 1 son who is 24 years old. He had been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and with behavior issues when he was young, He chose to not take medication for these things and struggles daily with basic things in life. I KNOW how hard it is to take your eye of your kids for even a minute, especially when they have health concerns and I just want to say to you and Kelly, PLEASE dont ever blame yourselves for this happening, NO ONE has the right to judge, or say what a parent should do, didnt do, or that they were at fault because they didnt medicate their child. This is NO ONE'S business and I hope you know how deeply sorry I am for your loss. I cant say I know how you feel, I can only imagine. PLEASE stay strong and try and find something good out of every loss. It's very hard, but there could be something else you could do in life now that you need to do for another child somewhere. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this extremely difficult time.

Barbara Jean

My sympathy, prayers, and strength go out to the Travolta family during this horrible time of pain and sadness. I cannot imagine loosing my child to such a freak accident. We, as fans need to be showing support and strength not throwing accusations and insults. Just imagine the pain and sorrow this young and loving family must be experiencing at this moment. Shame to all of you writing negative thoughts and throwing around speculations. Imagine if it was you and what you would be feeling.

Again, my prayers and sympathy to the family..........................

2063 days ago
Previous 15 Comments | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments