Travolta's Son -- Fatal Blow to Head

1/3/2009 2:36 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned what may have killed Jett Travolta, and it's not what police have suggested.

We've spoken with John Travolta's lawyer and close friend, Michael McDermott, and family attorney Michael Ossi, both of whom are with John in the Bahamas. They tell TMZ it appears Jett's fatal injury was the result of hitting his head on the bathtub, toilet seat, or both. And they say the intimation that Jett went undiscovered for hours is absolutely false.

Police have said the last time anyone saw Jett was when he went to the bathroom on January 1. His body was discovered by nanny Jeff Kathrein the next day at 10 AM. In fact, McDermott and Ossi say it appears Jett went back and forth to his room and the fatal injury occurred "very shortly" before Jett was found on the bathroom floor -- McDermott called it a "small window of time."

McDermott and Ossi tell us two nannies were present on the trip and Jeff was by his side 24/7. There was a baby monitor device by Jett's side and there was also a chimer in the bathroom when the door opened.

McDermott and Ossi say it is still unclear if Jett fell to the floor as a result of a seizure or if he had a seizure after falling or slipping. There was blood on the floor of the bathroom, but "not a tremendous amount." It appears the striking of Jett's head was the cause of death, though it won't be clear until the autopsy is performed Monday morning.

Jett's body will be embalmed Monday afternoon. There will be a local showing on Tuesday and later that day the body will be flown to Ocala, Fla. for burial.

McDermott says both John and Kelly are night owls. John often goes to sleep at around 5 AM. But McDermott says both nannies were at the hotel and Jeff always present.

McDermott tells us a hotel manager was first on scene with Jeff and the two of them administered CPR. John came in shortly thereafter and John took over for a "substantial period of time [and] was performing CPR and continued that until EMT came and took over."

McDermott says as for Travolta and Preston, the pain is "unimaginable and unquantifiable."

UPDATE: The Grand Bahamas health minister confirms that the autopsy will be conducted by two pathologists to ensure a proper evaluation has been made. A clinical and forensic pathologist from Nassau, that is U.S. certified, will fly into Grand Bahama on Monday to help perform the autopsy.

Lisamst

I have no idea why people such as your selves would leave terrible comments about something you don’t or chose not to understand. How dare you judge this family!

GET OFF THE CROSS!!!

Lisa England

justice is served

And the super sleuths have a new reason to get up in the mornings.

drinthehouse

#97, So your saying Drs cant read gossip columns or celebrity websites? We are human too. What makes us immune to reading and knowing whats going on in the news and entertainment industry? We cant have an ability to express our opinions? Are you saying only uneducated should be here on these sites? I am not really getting what your comment means?

Just to clarify, I am not posting ANY information on my patients or their diseases? nor am I stating I know Jett's dx. I am clearly giving my opinion like the other readers........maybe you should go back and Re read the comment!!!

JJ

Why does a 16 year old kid have a baby monitor with him, and a nanny always by his side? There has to be more to this story than we know. The Travoltas are very private, but I think there was something worng with this kid. Things are not adding up. I am sorry that any parent has to go through this, and my thoughts are with the family of Jett Travolta.

SUSAN MAZZOLA

I LOVE J.T. HE WAS BORN IN NJ. I ACTUALLY CRIED WHEN I HEARD THE NEWS. GREASE IS SO POPULAR IN MY HOUSE. ALL THE PICTURES I SEE OF JETT, HE DOES LOOK A LITTLE WEIRD, HE IS ALWAYS CUDDLED UP TO J.T., NOT USUAL FOR A 16 YR ON, THEY ARE ALWAYS AHEAD OF THE PARENTS ESPECIALLY BOYS. I BELIEVE HE WAS AUTISTIC. THEY DIDNT SAY HE WAS BECAUSE THEY WERE TIED UP IN THAT MONEY SUCKING SCIENTOLOGY. NO MEDS. HE DIDNT GET MEDS, SO MAYBE BE DIED. WHY WOULD A 16 YR OLD NEED 2 NANNIES AND A MONITOR. THE DAUGHTER DOESNT EVEN NEED ONE. NANNIES ARE FOR BABIES AND THATS PROBALLY HOW HE ACTED. SOMEONE HAD TO BE AROUND THIS KID 24/7. EVEN DOCTORS SAID HE COULDNT HAVE HAD THAT KOWOSKI DISEASE. SHAME ON J.T. HE SHOULD OF NEVER LEFT THE CATHOLIC RELIGION. I AM BIPOLAR SHOULD I NOT TAKE MY LITHIUM AND CHANCE A BREAK DOWN. I DONT THINK SO. LOOK AT THAT CRAP UGLY TOM CRUISE SAID ABOUT BROOK SHIELDS. WELL IF I WAS J.T. AND HIS WIFE I SURE WOULD NEED SOME TRANQUILIZERS RIGHT NOW. ITS A SHAME ,WE DONT HAVE THOSE PLACES IN NJ, ONLY THE RICH AND FAMOUS. I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN ONE DAY TO SOMEONE, BUT NOT TO J.T. THE AUTOPSY COULD BE A COVER UP TOO. JUST LIKE A.N.SMITH. I HOPE IM WRONG, BUT MY GUT FEELING TELLS ME NOT.I HOPE THAT THEY GET OUT OF THAT SCIENTOLOGY. USE UR MONEY OTHER WAYS. GO TO CHURCH. PRAY. UR GONNA NEED IT NOW.

Jehovah

There are many "religions" that deny certain types of medical treatments....regardless they are still considered religions. I don't support them. However, we live in America, and we have Freedom of religion...if if their religion consits of believing in aliens then so be it...call it what you want. I have four kids and I would run across two miles of broken glass barefoot to save one of their lives, that's my choice.

flour

Its obvious that the poor kid had some medical issues. That is why he needed the nanny and the monitors. What concerns me is conformation of his death due to a blow to the head! When it was first reported that he died due to a seizure I know that could happen but death due to a fatal blow to the head for a kid in his condition is unsettling and needs to be thourougly investigated!! I agree with #107 something is fishy and somebody is trying to cover something up. The truth will come to the light.

Um Hello???

Oh dear let them be - you couldn't be more wrong. I am not making guesses on the childs illness as it is very clear their son had more of an illness than Kawasaki Disease, It is called research - try it, you may learn something.

I am not guessing on Scientology either - just laying out facts for all. If you would take the time to research as many others have, perhaps you would realize this. Scientology is a proven cult - not a religion. The beliefs of Scientology are very scary and many have died from practicing in this cult. Do your research - There are many people on the internet that are former scientologists that have written about their experiences - and they all have the same things in common. All I ask is that you research and read these true stories of people who have been through it and what is has done to them personally. Until you do, until you educate yourself, you will not understand whyt his is bothersome to many.

becka now

I have to say that a nanny and monitor and chimes on door that is a big red flag for a 16 year old come on tell the truth or does your religion teach you to lie or just not face the truth I love john but I have a liitle experience in this area and that child is autistic or has some prioir brain damage , one sign is there eyes and there hand movements . Why is he lying ????????????

LH

People, people, people, Why are the family secrets in this incident any of your business?

Alexa

So sorry to hear this terrible news. There's nothing worse than losing one's child.

jmf

For being such a reputable news source, I'm surprised that this article keeps referring to Jett as Jeff. Unacceptable TMZ staff! Crap journalism.

killa'bro

who cares? John who?

Jehovah

There are many religions that are called a cults. People die from "beliefs" all the time. Parents make the choices for thier children, that's the way it goes. It's not against the law to have their religion. If so many would be arrested. It's a shame, and it's certainly not my way of life....however it's their choice. Apparently he died of a sezuire, not a religious choice of his parents.

Unless of course most of us blogging have the inside scoop on how this child was or was not being treated.

heidi

My son is 21 and has seizures. He requires daily medication or he will have a seizure. He has fallen several times in the bathroom and kitchen, and cut open his forehead and head. Having witnessed my son's seizures over the past two years, it would seem to me that Jett probably suffered a seizure and then hit his head on the bathtub when he fell down. The grand mal seizures cause very violent shaking and jerking, with loss of consciousness for 5-10 minutes. I hope that Jett was allowed to take anti-seizure medication. It is such a tragedy. My heart goes out to his parents.