Travolta's Son -- Fatal Blow to Head

1/3/2009 2:36 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned what may have killed Jett Travolta, and it's not what police have suggested.

We've spoken with John Travolta's lawyer and close friend, Michael McDermott, and family attorney Michael Ossi, both of whom are with John in the Bahamas. They tell TMZ it appears Jett's fatal injury was the result of hitting his head on the bathtub, toilet seat, or both. And they say the intimation that Jett went undiscovered for hours is absolutely false.

Police have said the last time anyone saw Jett was when he went to the bathroom on January 1. His body was discovered by nanny Jeff Kathrein the next day at 10 AM. In fact, McDermott and Ossi say it appears Jett went back and forth to his room and the fatal injury occurred "very shortly" before Jett was found on the bathroom floor -- McDermott called it a "small window of time."

McDermott and Ossi tell us two nannies were present on the trip and Jeff was by his side 24/7. There was a baby monitor device by Jett's side and there was also a chimer in the bathroom when the door opened.

McDermott and Ossi say it is still unclear if Jett fell to the floor as a result of a seizure or if he had a seizure after falling or slipping. There was blood on the floor of the bathroom, but "not a tremendous amount." It appears the striking of Jett's head was the cause of death, though it won't be clear until the autopsy is performed Monday morning.

Jett's body will be embalmed Monday afternoon. There will be a local showing on Tuesday and later that day the body will be flown to Ocala, Fla. for burial.

McDermott says both John and Kelly are night owls. John often goes to sleep at around 5 AM. But McDermott says both nannies were at the hotel and Jeff always present.

McDermott tells us a hotel manager was first on scene with Jeff and the two of them administered CPR. John came in shortly thereafter and John took over for a "substantial period of time [and] was performing CPR and continued that until EMT came and took over."

McDermott says as for Travolta and Preston, the pain is "unimaginable and unquantifiable."

UPDATE: The Grand Bahamas health minister confirms that the autopsy will be conducted by two pathologists to ensure a proper evaluation has been made. A clinical and forensic pathologist from Nassau, that is U.S. certified, will fly into Grand Bahama on Monday to help perform the autopsy.

Correction

Okie Doke--perhaps you should learn to read for better comprehension. I said you were making uneducated guesses about the FAMILY, I made that patently clear in my initial response to you. I even clearly said that while you may be educated about Scientology, you are NOT educated about this particular family, how they deal with their children's health, and whether or not they follow (publicly or privately) all of the conditions of the cult.

Try a reading course. You may find you comprehend the things you read just a bit better. I do not need to learn how to do research, I do it for a living. Can you understand what I have written here, or do you need to get someone to help you?

justice is served

#113, yes there are some religions that don't accept medical help; however Scientology is not one of those religions--as it is NOT a "religion".

drinthehouse

#97...oh yeah one more thing, if posting opinions on TMZ is the scariest thing your doctor has ever done then you should be very grateful ! There are alot more SCARIER things I have seen doctors, nurses, and other health care professionals do!!!

DeeDee

I agree w/Sadieface and a RN that posted as well. If this boy had 24/7 nannies, a baby monitor etc., there was something going on "more" than Kawasaki. My guess is that when he was two years old he started exhibiting signs of behavior that was not quite normal. Most two years old begin to speak .. my guess .. this boy was maybe developmental a little slow. Probably coincidentally at the same time he may have been exposed to toxic cleaning fumes. Then the Travoltas did their scientology detoxification mumbo jumbo on the boy, which I did read about on google. He probably should have been on anti-seizure medication. Obviously he wasn't because he wouldn't still be having seizures. I have a godchild who is epileptic and has been since she was 13 months old. She is on medication and is just fine. She doesn't need 24/7 nannies etc. As a adult one can exercise their free will and follow any religion/philosphy/path they want to follow. To impose that "will" onto your child, especially when it concerns their physical and mental well being, and to jeopardize their life because of it, to me is child abuse. Pure and simple. I believe an investigation should be done and scientology exposed for the cult that it is.

nira k

With a Bahamian autopsy, we may never know what really happened to poor Jett. Bahamas is a small country that does not have and cannot afford a lot of the advanced diagnostics that the US has. I would think that the Travolta's would wish the most up to the minute techniques used. If for some reason it is found that Jett did not receive the necessary treatment that would have prevented this, it is the same as drawing a knife across his throat. I have always admired the Travolta's but have found Scientology suspect. It is certainly good things for John and Kelly, disaster for Jett. Prayers are with all.

justice is served

Sorry, that last post was intended for poster 116 not 113.

Correction

Hey you who wrote the following: 118. For being such a reputable news source, I'm surprised that this article keeps referring to Jett as Jeff. Unacceptable TMZ staff! Crap journalism.

Posted at 3:17PM on Jan 3rd 2009 by jmf

There are two different people discussed in the article: One is named Jett, and the other is named Jeff. Jett is the boy who died, and Jeff is the caregiver who found him. Get it? Two completely different people.

Um Hello???

Let them be - I can read just fine, perhaps I just skimmed over what you had typed because I didn't think it was worth my time, and I was right :) If you do research for a living - then you should really be able to understand that Jett had more than Kawasaki Disease. No, I do not know the family - nor do I care to, but it does not take a genius to figure out what is right in plain sight :)

This will be my last post to you as I feel I am losing intelligence by just reading your comments.

justice is served

What bothers me most about our new doctor friends is that he doesn't have the grammar associated with your average doctor. Alot = a lot; no such thing as "more scarier"---scary, scarier, scariest.

Photogal

This story is so very sad. He was just a little boy and now he's gone. His parents have lost him forever. Total devastation.

anonymous

OK so several pics. of Jett show him walking on his toes and articles are reporting that he suffered from seizures...aren't both signs of autism?

LJ

Ok, first off before I make my comment I want to say it is an OPINION/IDEA...I AM NOT SAYING IT IS A FACT! So please remember that before coming down on me. I have read so many negative things about this couple and their lives and tried to put myself in their shoes and what I would do if I were them...from ALL angles, including their "religion". I have read and watched much in these last 24 hrs on this story and did a lot of reading way back to last May in which a man in Ocala, Fl made negative comments about John and how Jett was being raised, to photos of them in Hawaii on the beach, to the video from Dec. in Paris. The fact is Jett was not a "normal/average" 16 yr. old teen. It is very obvious that he could not do very much for himself and had to have help with just walking to the right place whatever the handicap was called. If he did have Autism or a form of it, it would explain almost all of the oddness of the situtation around him. I am NOT a doctor, but a 44 yr old mother of a 22yr old daughter and a 18yr old son. Thankfully, they are "normal" and healthy physically and mentally. Putting myself in John and Kelly's shoes..meaning being a very high profile entertainment couple that is constantly being watched, constantly being asked what is wrong with Jett and being Scientologists (of what I have read on it) I would want to have the best options for everyone as most would too. What would that be??? What would it take to make everyone happy/in a better situtation? To fix whatever is wrong with their son's handicap, which is not an option. To "get rid of" him as many are saying, yes this is true too, but one cannot tell me they do not love their son...not matter what they believe in as a religion. And killing him is...CRAZY. SO the next best thing would be what many have tried and have accomplished in the past...fake ones death. The facts that are coming out do not add up. It took place outside the US? He has to have 24/7 care and yet no one was helping him IN A BATHROOM where he could drown himself??? Burn himself with hot water??? Have a fall??? Cut himself??? Make a mess and require a bath???? Maybe, just MAYBE as parents, as high profile parents, as Scientologists they came to the conclusion that Jett, never being available to be watched/questioned about and being around something he will never come to understand or be a part of is/was the best for ALL involved. He could live out his life somewhere in peace out of the spotlight. John and Kelly would never again be questioned on what is wrong with him/how is he doing/ where is he at ever again. He was/is about to turn a mile stone in age...which again would just stir up more questions about him. What school is he attending? Does he date? Does he drive? Is he getting better??? From what I read and saw on TV, this Kawasaki disease does not go past childhood. SO if they were to keep saying that is what his trouble is, again more questions. And then they have another child, Bella to think of. Here she is too turning 9/10 yrs old and is starting to attend more events with them and as she gets older, she too will be asked about him as well. Is this a very huge lie to take on...YES it is. But one that ends everything once and for all. And after all is settled and they do an interview or two about this...if it even ever comes to that, all would be great for everyone concerned. They are never asked about him and his health again. Jett would never be photographed/taped trying to cope/fit in with their life sytle ever again. And the damn poparattzi can all go to Hell. Now with all that said, I go back to my original question: What would "I" do if I were them and being Scientologists, famous and in their financial situtation??? I would fake my son's death in another country. Buy a perfect place for him/and our family to live out his life away from the poparattzi/photographers/press. And set up a trust fund for life to care for all he will ever need in his life time as well as to find a pair to hire to care for him and make sure he has the best of everything for his "special" needs and then visit him as often as I could "FLY" to him. As Bella got older, I would SLOWLY have her involved in and finally put over his care/needs as I grew older for when I died and to keep it in the family and a secret. As John is a pilot and can fly anywhere without someone knowing, this all could actually work. YES, I know it seems like a movie script or a Scientology scam, but hey if the shoe fits!!!!! All I am saying is it could be this if they really wanted it to be and it would make EVERYONE HAPPY! If this is NOT the case, the whole thing is a very sad, very odd thing for them and I wish them all the best in dealing with what ever did happen and only they would know...not the world watching them now.

Leediebug

First of all I want to express my deepest condolences to the Travolta family. I can not begin to fathom your feelings of loss and sadness. I pray that you will find strength and comfort in the knowledge that having your son Jett, if only for a short time, was truly a blessing.

As for those of you who question Jett's condition or anything else for that matter that is solely the business of this family, you need to not worry so much about how this family handles their business. It is just that: THEIR business. You do not pay the Travolta's bills nor do you have any idea about their situation. My very smart and wise southern grandmother used to say, "sweep around your own door before you go sweeping around someone else's".

Again, my heart goes out to the Travolta's and their entire family. I've always admired how they presented themselves in public. They may be celebrities but they are parents first and should be afforded the respect due parents who will be burying their only son very soon.

wow

Wow, I haven't TMZ's posters this worked up since the release of the Hogan jail tapes last year...

wow

I smell a Travolta family witch hunt ala The Hogans. Nancy Grace's new topic for the next 3 months. Casey Anthony can relax in jail-Nancy will be off that family's back for a while.
Scientology: Not Good