John Travolta's Son: Meds Ultimately Didn't Work

1/5/2009 5:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned more about the medical condition of John Travolta's son, Jett, and the medication that ultimately didn't work.

We're now told the grand mal seizures Jett suffered were "frequent and extremely serious." Travolta's lawyers, Michael Ossi and Michael McDermott, tell us "each seizure was like a death," with Jett losing consciousness and convulsing.

We now know Jett was taking a drug called Depakote, a strong anti-seizure medication. There have been reports Travolta refused to give his son anti-seizure meds because of Scientology but those stories are not true.

Jett had been having seizures on an average of every four days, until he started taking Depakote. Ossi and McDermott say the drug initially worked, reducing the frequency to approximately once every three weeks.

Jett took Depakote for "several years," but it eventually lost its effectiveness, according to Ossi and McDermott. They say the Travoltas were concerned about possible physical damage. And, Jett went back to having around one seizure a week. So Travolta and Preston, after consulting neurosurgeons, stopped administering the drug. No one is suggesting withdrawal of the medicine in any way caused the fatal episode.

lol

also, i pick my poo hole then lick the tip of me finger.

surtee

Maybe the lawyer deliberately mispelled the drug while talking to TMZ, in order to be able to change it later to a more appropriate drug treatment name for grand mal seizure; until they mention one that is considered "acceptable truth" in scientology parlance. In any even, if there is a problem with one drug, you try another. You shouldn't just stop medication - that is, if you are non-scientology; it's how it should work.

It's dangerous to be a kid with special needs, with Hubbard-dogma consuming, narcissistic parents. But, these parents are victims of this cult too, even if they are not charged. It must be tremendously difficult for them now, and the promise that they are "Homo Novus", a cut above other people not scientologists, is probably painfully melting away.

lol

I have a 5th grade education and believe in the easter bunny, I am a real bright one.

Dyna

This is a cover up and everyone who is posting here defending the Travolta's and their beliefs are Scientologists. I applaud TMZ for not letting them sweep this under the carpet like they are trying to. If anything good can come from this tragedy, I hope that it sheds more light on this evil cult. My heart breaks for this poor kid, R.I.P. Jett.

Let them Grieve in Peace

I have no opinion about their religion and could care less. All I know is that a mother and father recently lost their son. I feel for them as HUMAN BEINGS.

Whatever happened will come out over time but given that this just happened, give these parents the benefit of the doubt and let them grieve in peace, These are real, loving human beings we're talking about not make believe characters in a movie. Some people posting here seem to be unable to differentiate between the two.

I'm always amazed at the inhuman statements made by people who hide behind computer screens. Treat others as you'd like to be treated. If this were you how would it make you feel knowing the vile things you people are saying. Disgusting.

whoever

I have always liked John Travolta and kelly Preston and NO ONE desreves to lose a child. However, they have not served this child well from the beginning. John Travolta admitted on Larry King Live that they obsessively and constantly cleaned this child's carpet and surroundings to the point where he had to go through detox from household cleaners and pesticides---and using a BS Scientology process at that. Any other parents would have been investigated. He refuses to admit that the child was autisitc yet he had two nannies at the age of 16? He was either autistic or brain-damaged from all the chemicals. SO SAD............. I hope the daughter is alright being raised by these two.
I hate to say it but bis condition was a direct result of their actions---exposing him to the chemicals that caused the seizures in the first place and then taking him off of meds----then not supervising him every secnd, KNOWING exactlt how often he was having seizures

PJ

Does the phrase private and confidential mean anything to anyone? Medical records are suppose to be private. As for what the family believes:Religious freedom is an absolute right, and includes the right to practice any religion of one’s choice, or no religion at all, and to do this without government control
Your rights to Freedom of Religion and the free exercise thereof means:
The Freedom of Religion is an inalienable right.
The First Amendment provides for the Freedom of Religion for all Americans.
The Free Exercise Clause provides that government will neither
control nor prohibit the free exercise of one’s religion.
The government will remain neutral.

And for those of you "Christian believers" perhaps you should actually read the Bible and remember this:
Matthew 7:1 judge not lest ye be judged, Matthew 7:2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged! and my favorite:John:8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone

This is a horrible family tragedy! A private matter for the family. Any parents wosrt nightmare! My deepest sympathy goes out to this family

2084 days ago

Wow, LOOK at all the RACISTS...

Okie Dokie - You don't know what Jett's exact medical situation or treatment was. I don't care what you say about Scientology, because I'm a Christian. Just don't go assuming this man and his wife knowingly harmed their son without REAL facts. You are going by what you READ. Be careful about that. Just because some so called new source say's they received a "statement" doesn't mean they did or ARE reporting it as it was said.

Bottom line get a life before judging others.

Linda

These parents are suffering and it is unfair to infer that they have any blame in the death of their beloved child. It's wrong to do so. Put yourself in their shoes. Feel more than just what you feel about yourselft.

polly purebred

If those seizures were that frequent and that life threatening, why would you put him on a plane and take him out of the country? This is a tragedy for all, parents have lost a son and I'm sure they're feeling many things, guilt included. I still believe someone dropped the ball here.

Um Hello???

to May God be With You - I have expressed my condolences regarding Jetts passing. The Travolta family isn't going to read this forum anyhow so I am not going to keep saying it over and over and defend something that I think is wrong in hopes that the family will see it and contact me with thanks, which is what I believe some people are doing.

I do hope that they hold close to one another and find a way to get through this. I have also stated many times that no one should ever have to go through the pain and heartache of losing a child, no matter who they are or what they believe in. Please read all of my posts before you jump on the "Lets attack Okie Doke" bandwagon. Im not a heartless person - I just don't agree with Scientology and their beliefs nor do I feel that the Travolta family did all that they could for Jett. It is my opinion and I am allowed to have it. Others have said the same things as I have - and I don't see anyone jumping on them as you are doing to me.

Bloghappy

Hey PJ, while you're telling others to stop judging you need to apply it to yourself as well.

Leela

Travis, poster #38. I think you may hold the record as posting the most ignorant comment ever.

Bloghappy

And you, Okie Doo Doo, you're here judging from hell to breakfast just like the person you're dogging sooo...

Everyone can say whatever they like. If you don't like a person's post...skip over it. Pretty dang simple.

HOLY ISH

#8...YOU HAVE NOT ONE FRICKING CLUE WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT.......HAVE YOU EVER TAKEN IT? OBVIOUSLY NOT STUPID......WHY CAN'T YOU PEOPLE GET A LIFE AND LEAVE THEM ALONE.....SHAME ON YOU FOR ADDING INSULT TO INJURY....HARVEY, IF YOU ARE ANY KIND OF MAN YOU WOULD LEAVE THEM ALONE.....I CAN'T WAIT FOR A TRAGEDY IN YOUR LIFE, SO WE CAN ALL BLOG ABOUT WHAT A DUMFUK U ARE