Ramblin' Men Burglarize Gregg Allman

1/8/2009 8:49 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Gregg Allman's Georgia home was hit by burglars.

Law enforcement says the thieves got away with a pistol, a collection of silver dollars and unreleased live recordings of Gregg. All of the property was recovered except for the handgun. Two dudes have been charged with burglary.

The home is 20 miles south of Savannah. Gregg is revamping his security system.

Jimmy The Tenor Sax Player

I knew Gregg a long time ago. I also knew Duane very well. We jammed together at the Wheat Street Club in Columbia, SC right before The Allman Brothers released their first album under the ABB name. Gregg was always kind, always driven musically. I will go to my grave remembering the few times I jammed with the band. I was a tenor sax player. I visited Duane at his apartment in Atlanta right after the Live At The Filmore album was recorded. He played the tapes for me. He had just bought an orange Volvo sports coupe. We jammed together that night and it was the last time I saw him. I remember standing back stage at the Atlanta Rock Festival with Duane. We were right across the lot for Jimi Hendrix who was leaning against his black Cadillac staring at Duane. Duane chuckled and said "You know Jimmy, I can make a good musician out of a good person a lot easier than I can make a good person out of a good musician." I also remember a Gregg quote from the last time I saw him in a Macon Recording Studio, I walked in and he remembered me from The Wheat Street Club, He said, "This guy plays the saxophone to death." It was the greatest compliment anyone ever paid me. Thanks Gregg, you hang tough Brother, I saw Bunky about a year ago, he said you're doing well. I see you every time you play anywhere near us, have tried to speak, but security has been too tight. Take care of yourself. BTW I've been clean and sober for 8 years now. Jimmy

2007 days ago

Melissa

No Drugs?

2080 days ago

booyahboy

Weak sauce. I once saw a fox humping a dead fox. This story would of been like ten fold better if the picture had Gregg Allman sideboob.

2080 days ago

lost in lalaland

A collection of silver dollars? That's hilarious. Has he been collecting them since "Midnight Rider" came out in the 70s? ...."the road goes on forever. And I've got ONE MORE SILVER DOLLAR. But, I'm not going to let them catch me, no. Not going to let them catch the midnight rider". Classic!

2080 days ago

They about to get paid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I rode by his house alot when I worked in the area,small house on the river,everybody knew he lived there,just a mater of time before someone tried to do a lick on him, he rides his harley davison all over Richmond hill Ga,he looke like a bum,so not maney people really reconize him with all his gear

2080 days ago

Courtney

Yeah, the collection of silver dollars sounds a little too poetic to be true! "Oh you can tell them other men Sweet Daddy's on his way!"

2080 days ago

katie

Gregg Allman is a very nice man. He came by one day when I was getting a tattoo and paid for it, and took pictures with me. He also paid for my tattoo artist's leg when he lost it in a motorcycle accident years ago. That's awful that someone would break into his house, I'm glad they caught the losers!

2080 days ago

Eh???

Collecting Silver Dollars is an American hobby, born in traditionalism. None of you who are poking fun at it can clearly understand the draw of numismatic collecting. A hobby of Kings and the common man.

Hey Gregg, did you have Carson City Morgans in there?? Or maybe Rush era Trade Dollars?

Glad you got them back......always searching for a MS70 Carson City Morgan.

2080 days ago

99centz

sweet melisa....look'z there going southbound...down to the whipping post...............

2080 days ago

Cashdollar

Gypsys, Tramps & Thieves...Whoa!

2079 days ago

janet

call me dummy but doesnt he look like that guy from the house wives of orange county. gretchens man?

2079 days ago

mr.dna

The next time he sings Midnight Rider, he'll say "I've got no more silver dollars"

2079 days ago

Mik

Youtube >jessica Alba Montage:Allman Brothers: "jessica" BTW.. Hold on to your socks .

2079 days ago

V.L.

Gregg Allman was Cher's second husband and also is father of her son Elijah Blue. Did you know about them? Sorry to hear that someone break in his home and stole the property items.

2079 days ago

Gloria

Those thieves should be tied to the whipping post! LOL! Glad to hear he got most of his stuff back.... As for those live recordings, it sure would be nice to hear them! Of course, only if Gregg releases them.

2079 days ago