Tom on Jett's Death -- "Horrific"

1/8/2009 5:24 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

A visibly shaken Tom Cruise finally opened up about the death of his good friend's son -- describing Jett Travolta's death as "horrific" and addressing Scientology's role in the tragedy.

Tom Cruise: Click to watch
Struggling to find the right words, Cruise addressed the emotional topic during a taping for tomorrow's episode of "The View," where he claimed his religion does not prohibit people from seeing a doctor and getting proper medication.

Previous 15 Comments | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17

JT Fan

Susan - I didn't answer because I was away for the weekend and I'm trying to stop reading everything about this story (obviously not succeeding) because it's really upsetting me.

I understand what you're saying, but many, many, many celebrities talk about their beliefs, whether they be political, religious, whatever and the only reason that those opinions are broadcast is BECAUSE they're celebrities, and it seems that everyone wants to know what they think about every topic. They're more easily heard because their fame is a great platform for them to speak about topics that are important to them. But it seems that people only bristle at celebrities spouting off about their beliefs when they disagree with them.

I can honestly say that I've not heard John Travolta say much about medication, and he's been a Scientologist since his 20s, before it became the hip Hollywood religion. I haven't heard many of Kelly Preston's views either, but apparently, she has been rather outspoken about her beliefs, as has Tom Cruise. It may get annoying if you don't agree with their opinions, but I've never seen their voicing those opinions as "forcing" their beliefs on anyone. If beliefs can be forced on you, you're not of very strong mind. I would never do anything a celebrity told me to do just because they're a celebrity.

And, ultimately, there is a difference between someone coming off as a little pushy by saying, "Hey, this is what I've found to be true and what's best for my kids, so maybe everyone should take it into consideration," and coming off as heartless and judgmental by saying, "You believe x, so obviously you're not a good parent and are responsible for the death of your child," which seems to be the conclusion that many commenters here are jumping to.

Staggo

She must bathe in botox.

Xenu

It's a shame that Tom has to lie about his religious ....sorry Cult beliefs. Scientology sees disorders like epilepsy and autism as curable through vitamin regiment, sauna soaks and auditing. Please do your research on the "purification rundown" Jett was on this to "treat" his problems. It is because of Scientology's backwards beliefs that this young man is dead and shame on Cruise for covering for it

Goodmom42

While I'm sure that Tom is saddened by the Travolta's loss, I felt like he was trying a little to hard to respond to that (inappropriate) question. It was almost like he was straining to muster up a tear or two, to show how great of a guy he really is. I agree it was more bad acting on his part. I doubt that he even knows the Travoltas that well; it sounds like he hadn't seen Jett since infancy.

Suavasita

I think its so sad about young Jett dying. I feel scientology is the new era of Jim Jones. That is terrifying. To think people get sucked in to one man's beliefs to the point of letting it fog your mind when it comes to the health of your children and medications etc., it should be outlawed and this founder of scientology put in jail. What has to happen hundreds of thousands of people drink poisen just because this nut jos says so. Just because these people make movies people are supposed to believe there way is great. It's ego's out of control that's all it is. Tom Cruise is weird and way into himself. I feel for John and Kelly Travolta and I hope they find a way to deal with their sorrow. God bless them.

37211

Why do they only give details about one of the nannies?
Who is "Eli"?