« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Did Dr. J Steal From George Burns?

1/23/2009 6:23 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Dr. JGeorge Burns must be rolling in his grave -- because some schmuck with the same name is suing a basketball legend in one of the dumbest lawsuits ever.

Burns -- not the dead comedian -- claims he and a guy named Rodney Junior came up with the "novel idea" to put Dr. J in a Dr. Pepper commercial ... and "also for more commercials starring other famous but fictional and/or real-life 'Dr's.'"

Brilliant stuff.

In the lawsuit, filed earlier this week in Clark County, Nevada, the guys claim Dr. J turned down their idea -- only to star in a Dr. Pepper ad a few months later. Now they want $20k in damages ... good luck.

A rep for Erving was not immediately reached.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

biscuts

I think the real smuck is Mr Erving. He stole someone elses idea and now the LL (LOW LIFE ) is getting sued. I bet this is just the beginning of the story. I bet he settles for Millions. Hey Good Dr. If you think you can win let him just take you to court and make a real fool out of those to guys . I bet we will see your true colots

2042 days ago

DRE

I THINK TMZ SHOULD LOOK INTO THE CASE RATHER THAN JUST LETTING SOME ONE SAY WHATEVER THEY WANT GEORGE BURNS THE SCHMUCK YOU AE TALKING ABOUT IS MY FATHER HE HAS BEEN SITTING ON THAT DR J DR PHIL COMMERCIAL FOR ABOUT A YEAR BEFORE THIS WHOLE THIG CAME ABOUT. DR. J . JUST THOUGHT HE COULD GET OVER ON HIM BECAUSE HE DOESNT HAVE AS MUCH MONEY AS HIM. IT IS OK THOUGH WHEN THE CASE IS OVER THE TRUTH WILL COME OUT, AND HE WILL BE VICTORIOUS. THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO EAT THE BULL YOU SPEAK.

2037 days ago

99centz

ya dont mess with dr j....the judge will toss for three..........

2077 days ago

ozzman

jackass...

2077 days ago

George William Gockel

I saw Dr. J and the Phildelphia 76ers beat the Los Angeles Lakers at the Fabolous Forum 103 to 96 during the 1977-78 NBA season after the game I cried. I also the Los Angeles beat Dr. J and the Philadelphia 76ers at the Faboulous Forum 116 to 114 in double overtime during the 1981-82 NBA season. I am a Los Angeles Lakers & I also am a New York Knicks fan.

2077 days ago

Nostradamus

Hey TMZ, just because Obama won does not mean that you have to expose all the blacks in your postings ( including criminals)

2077 days ago

Andy

Doc J is a legand.Hope Burns chokes on his own tongue.My $0.02.

Justice

If Mr Burns is not lieing would this story be considered slander? I suggest you check your facts before you TMZ get sued for slander...