Academy Goes to Court Over $175,000 Scam

1/27/2009 8:15 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The Academy Of Motion PicturesThe Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is on the warpath against scalpers charging an astronomical amount for tickets to the Oscars.

In a lawsuit filed Monday in Federal District Court, the Academy claims McMurry Inc. and the individuals who run it are trying to sell packages to the Oscars at $175,000 a pop. The Academy says unsuspecting people may be buying the packages, not realizing the tickets are non-transferable and the guests in fact would be trespassers.

And get this ...the Academy claims the defendants are aware of the high security at the awards so the scalpers are doing their own screening for "celebrity stalkers and terrorists."

The packages -- offered on the McMurry website and it's magazine "6" -- include a seven-day stay in L.A., luxury hotel accommodations, a sightseeing trip and tickets to the Academy Awards.

The Academy is asking a judge for an injunction to put the brakes on McMurry. It also wants compensatory and punitive damages.

o

o

2005 days ago

o

I think I still have cedits on my sears card that I got at age six in 1967 right TMZ? AT&T? thanks again paps smear off.Howard Robard Hughes IIV

2005 days ago

interweb

Who cares, Hollywood has become insignificant. Long live the Interweb!

2005 days ago

BoBo

Who in their right mind would pay such an amount anyway? For what? To see a bunch of overpaid people get an award? To see what they're wearing? These people should not be idolized. Most of them are a bunch of selfish douche bags anyway.

2005 days ago

Bex

I hate all celebs, so I could care less about these delusional people....get some better stories on here! No more Travolta, either!

2005 days ago

KWDragon

If all of you people "hate celebs," why are you reading TMZ? Isn't it a celeb sight?

I like watching celebs, which is why I read TMZ and a few other blogs. It's fun seeing what they are doing in the industry, as long as you remember to keep the reality in mind.

Just my $0.02.

2005 days ago

o

DAD should have gotten a award for hidding his ownership of the hollywood sign all those years.My sears card is still good right TMZ? GE .I went to work for SEARs at age six as did my whole step family right AT&T? CBS!

2005 days ago