AJ

Loses Sobriety Battle

Again

1/27/2009 11:19 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

AJ McLean is a recovering alcoholic -- so it was heartbreaking to see the Backstreet Boy stumbling out of the Key Club last night, appearing to be wasted out of his mind.

AJ McLean: Click to watch
As McLean nearly falls into the street, one of his friends calls him out -- right out in the middle of Hollywood -- emotionally confronting the guy who went to rehab for alcohol and cocaine abuse in 2001... and again in 2002.

Witnesses inside the Key Club say they saw McLean taking shots and drinking beers during the show. After the confrontation, McLean's friends forced him into a cab and sent him home.

McLean was reportedly six years sober in 2008. Calls to McLean's rep have not yet been returned.

Morg

You know what, it's part of the life of an addictive personality to have back steps. It happens, and yes, it sucks. but you get up and you start over. The important thing is YOU START OVER. Best wishes to anyone out there struggling with addiction. Keep fighting.

1990 days ago

Me

That just broke my heart.

1990 days ago

Coti Zarazaga

How could you publish this? It has really helped you in your pathetic "journalist" career? TMZ how easy is for you to have an story to fill your yellow press section. How easy is for you to talk about someone else's weakness and mistakes. I wonder if it is that easy for you to sleep with your conscience at night. I'm pretty sure that is not... or it wont be in the future.
TMZ you make me sick. Why can't you just let the people make mistakes without you pointing at them with your damn camera? Get a Life... preferably your own.

PS: NOW YOU'RE ERASING MY COMMENTS??? THAT'S CENSORSHIP!!!!!!

1990 days ago

Shannon

Hang in there AJ! Just get some new friend's.... esp ones that don't care about flaunting their crap on TV ;)

I'm not sure what exactly happened but I'm just hoping AJ is alright. *sighs*

1990 days ago

me

to number 33 BW - have you been to an alanon meeting today? or lately?

try to think of something that you really like, and go without it for a month. now imagine if you had cravings for it. so are cigarette smokers selfish? are people that drink caffeine everyday selfish? i know plenty of people that cannot go through a day without either.

my mom went through years of treatment for lymphoma. it will never truly be gone. she understands and accepts my alcoholism.

open your eyes and your mind. it will make your journey through life a lot more fulfilling.

1990 days ago

lauren

this is unbelievably sad. i remember when the backstreet boys were on trl when they had to postpone their tour because of aj's problem. i hope it doesn't get to that again. he was out for nick's birthday, and instead he gave his friend the worst present ever...falling off the wagon. i really hope he gets his life back in order or he's gonna spiral down that same dangerous path he went in 2001.

1990 days ago

Concerned

I love AJ and think it's ok for an adult to drink when they go out. We're not following him day/night to know if he drinks all day or all the time, which I highly doubt. What if this was the first time in a long time, at his friend's celebration? I think it's unfairly blown out of proportion. I was more annoyed at 1. TMZ for airing this out of context and 2. the girls he was with, than at anything else. I didn't know he has a gf so that really breaks my heart. He is very talented with the sexiest voice and I wish him all the best. xoxoxoxoxo M.

1990 days ago

Jazz

Who is the heavyset girl with the tats in the video trying to get AJ away from the spotlight?

1990 days ago

girlygirl

lol about that comment that brian doesnt drink!!! OW HELL YEAH THAT HE DRINKSSS!!! whaha

1990 days ago

Louise H. Jensen

I feel for him. I know several people fighting in the AA program. Personally I am fighting with a food-adiction problem. So I know a lot about this.
He needs, as some of you mention, to get away from the fake people and surrounds himself with. And he need to be with someone he can trust and who cares for him nomatter who he is. Even if he is Aj Mclean or som John Doe from God knows where.
But the problem with abusers, and I am talking about myself too, as food is/can be an adiction too, is that you can´t really help before they are ready for it themselfes.

1989 days ago

wolviefan

omg. not again. god not again. i cant believe this. not again. i have been a loyal dedicated backstreet boys fan since 1997. the first time that i heard about this back in 2001 i just couldnt believe it and i just prayed for him. kinda weird how in the past month all i have been listening to was backstreet boys music. i think that it was a way to prepare me to hear this in a way like with the first time i had a dream that he went into rehab a year before he did but still i cant believe it and last night i stayed up till 4:30 am for no particarly reason which is also kinda weird cause i go to bed about 2am. but still i cant believe that alex is in trouble like this again. maybe he needs to hang out with me so i can straighten him up. i still cant believe it. alex really needs to find god and let god guide him to the right people that will help him through this and not let some bimbos and crazy people who want to see him go towards the bottle and drugs again.

1989 days ago

jasme

AJ's real girlfriend is trying to turn him around. Hopefully all this publicity will and hopefully he reads all this.

1989 days ago

Susan G

Well whatever is going down, it isn't good. My suggestion? Get outta LA, AND AWAY from those S-K-A-N-K-S (the latest screwing partner included) and stay with the people who know you the longest.....like your bandmates!
I think he's getting worse instead of better. I'm worried that he won't live to see 40 at the rate he's going now. I'm serious...

1989 days ago

K

Wow... that was really hard to watch. He seemed like he really valued his sobriety, so to have this happen is really upsetting. Sad stuff.... :(

1989 days ago

richard g

NICE ONE DUMPING ONE AND GETTING WITH A PERSISTANT ONE!!!!...NICE TRADE ID HIT IT THAT HO TOO...I BOUGHT HIM A DRINK THAT NIGHT HE MENTIONED THAT HE NEEDS TO GET OUT ONCE IN A WHILE IT WONT KILL HIM HELL BE ALLRIGHT HES GOING TO BE HOLDING A KEGGER AT HIS PAD SOON!!....ALCOHOL IS NOT AS BAD AS U THINK PARTY BE MARRY!!!!....FEAR MORE BEER!

1989 days ago