« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Speedo

Clings to Phelps

After Bong Shots

2/2/2009 7:48 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0202_phelps_speedo_bn-1It doesn't matter what Michael Phelps put in that bong, he's still a hit with Speedo.

The mankini maker slapped Phelps on the wrist over Bong-gate today, but stopped short of axing their multimillion endorsement deal with the Golden Boy. In a statement, Speedo says it "does not condone such behavior and we know that Michael truly regrets his actions."

But they also call Phelps a "valued member of the Speedo team and a great champion." They're clearly hoping the whole thing blows over quickly.

Phelps' had endorsement deals with AT&T and Rosetta Stone, but those expired on December 31st -- long before the bong pics became public.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Brangelina Hater

SO FREAKIN WHAT?!?! its not heroine or meth! and its not like he tested dirty for the olympics. Alot of celebs do drugs, and pot is one of the milder ones. leave it alone already!!

2004 days ago

Ang

Who cares, the kids been working his but off for a long time, let him be a kid and have fun, he'll be back to training again soon enough.

2003 days ago

Dave

(illegal) Marijuana related deaths 1980 to 2006 #20
(federally taxed and legal) Alcohol related deaths per year #86,000
need I say more.....

2003 days ago

bigdumbgod

To quote the late, great George Carlin: "F THE CHILDREN!"

(I'd say the guy earned at least a fat bonghit)

2003 days ago

Sassy

What is wrong with you simpletons?! Oh let me guess, all of you brain-dead fools defending Phelps are a bunch of potheads yourselves. PATHETIC!! That is the only word to describe a bunch of losers like you! Shame on you and Shame on Phelps! And whoever pointed out that the only thing that moron is sorry for is getting caught is 100% correct! Let the kid have some fun? What kind of a fool says garbage like that? Talk about an extra special kind of stupid! And sorry to disappoint all of the prattling simpletons, I have never done drugs! Not even one little bit! And I am d*mm proud of that fact! I haven't missed anything except.... DUI'S, forgetting where I am at, sleeping with some creep, saying something I would later regret....little things like that! There is no real fun in being an idiot except for a bunch of irresponsible fools, who are h*ll bent on going through life with their heads up their a**! Oh and I hear Mr Kutcher is out defending this idiot! Which tell me that Phelps decided to sell his dignity to go star in some sh*tty little reality series. Trading in his 15 minutes of fame for 15 minutes of shame. Good job Phelps! Can you think of anymore retarded stunts you can do to permanently seal your fate as a guy who went from a shining star to a complete joke? Oh you'll forever be remembered as the guy who won 8 gold medals but that will be remembered along with the guy who went from a hero to a complete ZERO!!
P.S DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DON'T BELIEVE ANY B.S ABOUT HOW JEALOUS ANYONE IS. IF YOU DO, YOUR BEYOND HELP!!

2003 days ago

bigdumbgod

Oh, and 'smartypants' - take a f'ing bonghit and STFU. Much better than that apparent meth habit you aren't telling us about.

2003 days ago

jack

I heard that when they test the athletes they don't test for marijuana, just growth hormones and etc, but really, i'd rather see him smoking than drinking!

2003 days ago

Anti-Lib

Give me a break on all these black comments. If he were black he wouldn't be swimming AND black people get away with murder in this country - no one cares what they do, but if you are white forget it. Sorry kiddo, you are a white kid and your career is gone...

2003 days ago

Kwame

EVERYONE'S MONEY IS ON MICHAEL PHELPS. KIDS AS YOUNG AS AGE 3 WATCHES MICHAEL PHELPS SWIM ON TV AND WANTED TO SWIM LIKE HIM WHEN THEY GROW UP. NOW HE'S BECOMING THE MALE VERSION OF PARIS HILTON OR LINDSAY LOHAN. MORE LIKE THE MALE VERSION OF PARIS HILTON. LIKE THOSE PARTY ANIMALS, HE GOES TO NIGHTCLUBS, DRINKS, DRUGS, AND EVEN WOMANIZES. CELEBRITIES ARE LIKE THAT WHEN THEY ARE 18+.

PARIS HILTON, BRITNEY SPEARS, LINDSAY LOHAN, VANESSA HUDGENS, JAMIE-LYNN SPEARS, MILEY CYRUS ARE THE EXAMPLE OF BAD ROLE MODELS. EVEN BOYS HAVE FEMALE ROLE MODELS. LIKE SHIA LABEOUF, MACAULAY CULKIN AND AARON CARTER ARE THE MALE VERSIONS OF LINDSAY LOHAN.

I PREFER GYMNASTS MORE THEN PHELPS AND POSSIBLY HE IS RELATED TO THE FAMOUS BAPTIST MINISTER FRED PHELPS. I ALSO HEARD THAT MICHAEL'S NEIGHBOR KATIE HOFF AKA FEMALE MICHAEL PHELPS WAS CAUGHT PARTYING WITH THE AUSTRALIAN SWIMMER STEPHANIE RICE DURING THE BEIJING OLYMPICS. AND THE AMANDA BEARD IS ALSO A BAD ROLE MODEL FOR CHILDREN. SHE SHOWS OFF HER NAKED BODY IN EVERY MAGAZINE.

I ADMIRE MARY LOU RETTON, SHANNON MILLER, KERRI STRUG, CARLY PATTERSON, NASTIA LIUKIN AND SHAWN JOHNSON AS GOOD ROLE MODELS.

2003 days ago

dave

If This guy was black or gay, there would be no reporting this at all,...left wing bigots!!

2003 days ago

CH

So you smoke the sticky icky Mr. Phelps. . . good for you. I honestly don't think it's such of a big deal even though you are a role model to kids they WILL eventually smoke some pot in some point of their life time.
Hey hey hey smoke weed everyday!

2002 days ago

chillininbc

What's the big deal? He's young, it's not an olympic year AND it's weed!!! Oh no! Come up to BC Mr. Phelps we'll take care of you!

2001 days ago

AmericanPsychoFan

Funny but Speedo is an Aussie company (as far as I am aware) and lots of Aussie slike their bongs so they are like so what is the problem again?

2001 days ago

tridog

I agree with the 9th posting. In the world of the politically correct we have to deal everything. You think this guy is sitting around the house doing b-hits day and night?? Does anyone have ANY idea of the degree of dedication that it takes to be at this level? What next, he might drink a beer, smoke a cigarette or god forbid... skip a few laps of the end on his practice.
You want to judge - get in the pool - otherwise shut the !@#$!#@%@ up!!

2001 days ago

mike cunningham

Kellogs sells food poison (diabetes,cancer,obesity and God knows what else) yet they come down on the greatest Olympic athlete ever. I'd boycott their products, but I never eat them anyway. I would like to see the A**hole who took the picture and then sold it for a few pieces of silver, get what coming to him. Please let this DOEK get what he deserves.

2001 days ago