"T4" Producer -- Bale's Tantrum Was No Biggie

2/3/2009 4:38 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Click to listenIt turns out Christian Bale's expletive-filled, volcanic explosion on the set of "Terminator Salvation" was a "non-event"... according to a guy who wasn't the brunt of Bale's tirade.

Bruce Franklin -- assistant director and associate producer on the film -- told us "Christian is a method actor and was completely immersed in his scene ... his reaction was from the heat of the moment."

The target of Bale's attack -- a director of photography named Shane Hurlbut -- was not fired from the movie, despite Christian's threat that if Shane screwed up one more time, he should be kicked to the curb.

Franklin said Bale was under a lot of pressure because of his crazy "Dark Knight" promotion schedule, and that the crew -- Hurlbut included -- ended up shooting for another seven hours.

Zandy

where does he come off yelling like that?? its not like he almost killed someone JEEZ! he took that WAY to far and i'm starting to lose some respect for him. he better watch his attitude or he'll be out of acting all together soon enough!

Thought Dark Night Sucked, SORRY

This guy is a time bomb. He won't be in pictures long. He is good in BATMAN and I think that he is just all pissed off because Health Ledger is getting all the attention. No offense to Health but I think the Dark Night was one of the worst Batman's yet. It was way to loud and I just like didn't like the story line, really their wasn't much of a story. Health is always was the only thing good about the Dark Knight. If Health hadn't died I think the movie would have been a bomb. Health deserves an Oscar just not for this movie. Bale has nothing on Ledger. He couldn't fill just one of his shoes. End of story. BALE IS IN RAGE BECAUSE OF JEALOUSY. GET OVER YOURSELF BALE. I AM SURE WE WILL SOON.

hellofromjm

I have mixed feeling about this incident. Having worked in the entertainment industry in Hollywood most of my life, I can tell you there is nothing worse than working with a "screamer" on the set - usually, it's some prick director. I actually made a conscious choice never to work in an abusive setting again after being screamed at myself on the set.

My other feeling is that the tendency to hire young, totally inexperienced rank amateurs in Hollywood is aggravating in the extreme to those of us who understand the golden rule(s) - such as when the take starts, you do not move, you do not make a sound, you NEVER do anything to interrupt the scene. So what this a-hold D.P. did was inexcusable, and he could be justifiably fired for this.

However, Bale's handling of his justifiable anger was also inexcusable. He should have taken up his concerns with the producer and let the producer handle it. So Bale was also out-of-line, especially the way he just kept going and going in front of the whole crew. Badly done, Bale.

Alpinist

Tweaker.

moonrunner

No one has the right to talk to anyone like this, i don't care who they think they are. If someone talked to me like that, actor, president, Jesus Christ himself, i would put them in the hospital for at least a month and it would be several more months before they could act, or walk, or feed themself again.

Shyler

I used to like him, but that is ridiculous!! How many times can a person use the "F" word in one sentence!!! Absolutely disgusted.

Hate All DP's

I agree that the Director of Photography in question, Shane, deserved that tongue lashing. As a rule, in Hollywood, the most arrogant, inconsiderate , rudest people on any set is the director of photography. I know this guy, and he is the rudest of the rude and thinks nothing of embarrassing his crew in front of everybody. I think that it is a great slice of humble pie for him. I think more actors should treat DP's this way. There are only a hand full of DP's that aren't complete jerks! Karma sucks, doesn't it, Shane! Good job Christian. And for all you people that think Christian is wrong, think about the biggest jerk with the biggest ego at your work and then multiply it by 10, that is Shane. I don't know why anybody would ever hire him again. What kind of a jerk walks around adjusting lights while the camera is rolling? Sure, Shane, you are the most important guy on the set aren't you. Your camera crew is also jerks, rude and arrogant.

Susan

I've worked for CEO's, doctors and lawyers, and Bale's tirade is nothing compared to my former bosses! Anyone who thinks this is a big deal has never worked for top executives or professionals.

aleph12003

He needs to bend over and take it like a man.

Lord Xenu

As punishment he should be forced to star in REIGN OF FIRE 2: GREAT BALES OF FIRE!

TORI

IT'S UNBELIEVABLE HOW PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS SO QUICK TO JUDGE AND HANG SOMEONE OUT TO DRY. NO ONE ON HERE HAS EVER HAD A BAD DAY,EVER SAID OR DID ANYTHING WRONG IN THERE LIFE ?! GET REAL, I NEVER MET ANYONE SO PERFECT AS THE PEOPLE ON TMZ - LOL.

mz

What a man-child. Go cry to mommy cause someone walked in your sandbox. Boo-f*-in hoo.

Mama Zimmaro

ANYONE can screw up..for sure hopefully it would not be someone performing brain surgery. Realizing that a tremendous amount of money is involved in the production of a movie, my hope is that Mr. Bale will begin to "imagine" a more effective way of presenting his frustration. After all, what was accomplished in his favor by berating and shaming ANYONE.

Carlo

This is just another example of what the entertainment public cannot continue to tolerate. I used to like this guy...what an ignorant jackass...I am never going to watch or listen to anything this idiot has to do or say.

JoeyUSA

Bale I am sure you would get alog with Rosie just fine- and you STINK as an actor----