Etta James to Beyoncé:

I'll Whoop Your Ass!

2/4/2009 8:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Etta Goes Off: Click to listenThis is not a joke: 71-year-old Etta James actually threatened to beat the crap out of Beyoncé Knowles -- and it's caught all on tape!

The war is all over Etta's song, "At Last " -- Beyoncé sang the tune at Obama's 1st Inauguration Ball on Jan. 20th ... but last week at a concert in Seattle, James was still pissed.

While on stage, Etta told the crowd, "Your President, the one with the big ears ... he had that woman singing my song. She gone get her ass whipped."

She continued, "The great Beyoncé ... I can't stand Beyoncé," according to audio from Crown City Media.

Ironically Etta didn't kick up this sorta fuss when Beyoncé portrayed her in "Cadillac Records."

Reps for Beyoncé had no comment.

Patty

Etta is great!!!

T Johnson

Etta James is still on drugs. Beyonce sounds much better now then she could ever sing the damn song.

Edumacated

188. WELL , IF MS. ETTA HATES OUR PRESIDENT , SHE COULD GO TO MOSCOW TO SINGING HER RUSSIAN SONG TO HER RUSSIAN PRESIDENT WITH RUSSIAN PEOPLE .............................

Posted at 11:01AM on Feb 5th 2009 by SHOE SALESMAN AL BONDY

*****************************************************************************

We don't live in a totalitarian state. Americans are free to like or dislike any politician they choose without fear of being run out of the country. This is not (YET) a third world socialist dictatorship. Americans are as free to express their dislike of Obama as Bush antagonists were to stateTHEIR disdain for him. PLEASE, PLEASE learn the basic principles on which this country operates.

DonnaT

PROUD AMERICAN SAID: "For all of you that don't get it. I a light skinned black girl thing. Etta James come from the era of you are better if you are light in complexion if you are black. Etta is jealous. If you notice Aretha Franklin was there to sing, but then she is dark skinned. By the way she mentioned the President, with the remark of the big ears, She has nerve she may be famous for her song but, Beyonce worked it well. Etta James is a hood rat and a sell-out, With the blond hair and the light eyes she think she is better. Etta James is from the Damaged School! I say that for I grew up in the Old School, Meaning watching it develope Because you is stupid. I bet you she was invited to sing, but i bet she decline. She sound like a tupid woman, And she is a hood rat because she lack suffistication and class. ETTA take it from Boyence and First Lady Michelle.go to ettiquit school, Jealous Hag, HOOD RAT, SELL OUT!!!"

**************

And you are ignorant! This has nothing to do with the "caste system." It's about an old drug-addicted (heroine) hag who can't face the fact that her "day in the sun" is over. You are no sociologist so SHUT UP trying to make this an issue about race.

Sandra

Now, I have no idea what you and others refer to by your use of the pseudo-word "hatin'". I am "critical" of anyone who is able to persuade those of little intellect (like YOU and the rest of the unwashed masses) to believe they are "artists," while those with actual TALENT are overshadowed (the elevation of "fluff" over skill). Now, dear friend, I have just given you an example of how one whio is truly EDUCATED expresses herself. And YOU are now free to respond in the usual semi-literate "ghetto" lingo that, sadly, passes for English these days.

Posted at 11:14AM on Feb 5th 2009 by Edumacated

Before you throw stones at other, please verify if you are a "who" or "whio" or whatever else you see yourself as? If this blog is wasting your time you should have done something better with your time, perhaps, volunteer to teach illeteracy or somthing.

Ziggy

Shame on Etta James. Not like she wrote the song herself. Etta James has absolutely no class at all. That was an ugly thing to say. She needs to show a little bit of class. Calling the President names and threatening to kick Beyonce's ass only makes her look pathetic, envious and trashy. What a disappointment!!

KJ7

Ms.Etta you and half the people on this list need JESUS. You should feel blessed that someone is still giving your song some play time. Where is the love?? I thought we were all past the hating on other sisters. Beyonce continue to do your thing and as I think your husband says "shake off the haters"

All glory belongs to God, not Etta, not Beyonce !

fedwrk

im embarrassed as a black woman. why do black women always have to shoot down eachother? whether or not beyonce did a good job, she had a wonderful opportunity to sing on the most historic day of this era, and for our first black president and his wife. congratulate her and then talk about her behind closed doors, if thats how you feel. this just makes us (blacks) look stupid and it lives up to the typical stereotypes of black women. and I thought beyonce did a wonderful job and it was a beautiful moment in history.

Disappointed

I saw Etta perform in Albuquerque about five years ago, and I was appalled. She just sat in a chair on stage rubbing on her private areas, and actually seemed angry her entire set. It was gross, and I will never hear her music the same way after that. I thought Beyonce sang it rather sweetly.

PJ

Good for Etta,
I thought that was crappy when I heard Beyonce was going to sing the song.I mean come on.
Other than being young Beyonce is in no class with the great Etta as a singer.

jimbo

How bouta tag-team wrestlin match : 4 overrated,overweight divas, tina turner vs. aretha franklin & these two bi*ches. So much jealousy in these over-the-hill, limited talents. Big egos,big mouths.

Edumacated

If this blog is wasting your time you should have done something
better with your time, perhaps, volunteer to teach illeteracy or
somthing.

Posted at 11:41AM on Feb 5th 2009 by Sandra

*******************************************************

Sandra, please point to a single sentence in which I indicated this blog was "wasting my time." I merely responded to an unprovoked attack by someone who does not know grade school English. I very much enjoy such responses since it allows me to reveal widespread ignorance by those who should never have received high school diplomas, yet seek to question the intellect of others.

As for teaching a class on "illeteracy," what would be the logic in that? One teaches "literacy," not illiteracy. Most Americans are, sadly, fluent in ILLITERACY at present, and require no further tutelage in that regard. Actually, I have no idea what "illeteracy" (your word) is, since it does not exist in the English language. But I assume you simply made an understandable typo, as did I with the word "who," and you, again, with the word "somthing." But what I don't understand is why you and others are so quick to tell anyone with whom you disagree to leave the board and find something else to do. Why? Is confronting contrary opinion such an insurmountable task for you? If so, how sad.

Cie

Shame on you Ms. James. I respect and honor our elders yet the seasoned people need to respect and honor others. Mrs. Carter and President Obama should be respected. Shame on you Ms. James. I love you but you should know better. You sound like a little jealous school girl!!!! Please!!!!

Sam Castillo

I guess Etta did'nt get enough money so she's trancing Beyonce/?? no need to hate cooperate. Life is too short especially for Etta!!!.

chetman

Etta sounds extremely bitter at a very inappropriate hour. Everyone doesn't have to be glad about our pres. or love Beyonce (tho she's beautiful and talented). Etta didn't write the song, it's not HERS, in fact it's public domain by now. Sad old bitter woman whose time has come and gone can't seem to accept it. AND Aretha was not happy with her performance but I enjoyed it anyway. It's great to see people hanging around who can maintain positive attitudes, not be self absorbed and bitter.