Etta James to Beyoncé:

I'll Whoop Your Ass!

2/4/2009 8:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Etta Goes Off: Click to listenThis is not a joke: 71-year-old Etta James actually threatened to beat the crap out of Beyoncé Knowles -- and it's caught all on tape!

The war is all over Etta's song, "At Last " -- Beyoncé sang the tune at Obama's 1st Inauguration Ball on Jan. 20th ... but last week at a concert in Seattle, James was still pissed.

While on stage, Etta told the crowd, "Your President, the one with the big ears ... he had that woman singing my song. She gone get her ass whipped."

She continued, "The great Beyoncé ... I can't stand Beyoncé," according to audio from Crown City Media.

Ironically Etta didn't kick up this sorta fuss when Beyoncé portrayed her in "Cadillac Records."

Reps for Beyoncé had no comment.

Ren

I can't believe that Etta looked on as Beyonce did her reditiion of At Last as she was approving. Beyonce is a Modern day singer, dancer actress none of which Etta was. Yes her voice was fierce (Etta's) back in the day but lets face it. She's lucky someone sang the song again to breath life back into Etta's dead ass singing career. Go B!! People need to stop hating this ultra talented woman. She's unreal thats it!.

2059 days ago

scarlett

Etta James' version is magnificent ..... no one can touch it.

Lola

Etta James is the real deal! She's got the chops to back it up, too. Beyonce is mediocre at best and her sense of grandiosity is irritating.

lin

Which one is Beyonce?

coolcrappystuffcom

stonermoog

i would pay good money to watch etta james kick beyonce's @ss. i'd pay good money to watch ANYONE kick beyonce's entitled, spoilt, pointless @ss.

somebody needs to give a good whooping to jennifer lopez too, while they are at it.

Debbie31

I had Etta James' version of At Last sung at my wedding. If Beyonce had originally covered the song, I know I would have had a different choice. Etta James is amazing, Beyonce is just well marketed. Big difference.

fay

good grief what the hell brought THAT on?

Duffo

Nothing like setting back a sista when she does good. Please, Etta is just mad she is old and can't sign it like she used to. These old broads are so diva...like Aretha on Inauguration Day, she sucked, but I am sure she thought she was great...hat and all.

Workinaway

I wonder what Beyonce did to piss Etta off so much? Both of them have beautiful voices: Etta's is classic. Beyonce's is modern. They each bring their own to the table.

sick of paris

Well I heard Ms Knowles rendition and thought it was HORRIBLE, no one can touch Etta James.

Edumacated

I'm glad Ms. James spoke up. Good for her! It is so like Obama to elevate form over substance: Give the mediocre, tinny-voiced (yet photogenic) Beyonce an international stage at an historical event, while Ms. James, the LIVING LEGEND who created the art -- and STILL has more talent in her pinky than Beyonce has in her entire fat ass -- was likely not even invited to the ceremony. Obama, once again proving me right in my disdain for him.

Mrs Joe Jackson

Beyopnce is an ass. Hate her. She sucks. She is a no talent bitch.

The HMV store near me is trying to sell off her crappy 2nd solo album. FOR CHEAP.

Cache is gone.

At least she has her fugly husband to give her a litter.

pua

I find it partiially amusing that Beyonce was very very gracious and kind to Etta at some awards show where she protrayed the song right in front of her in the audience. Nothing like someone young, beautiful, and up and coming to remind you of what you once were. There is probably where the rub lays, not in B's singing of her song.

AQ

With all that's going on in this world - war, the economy, education, etc - THIS is what Etta James is pissed about??? It sounds more like she was a McCain person and that's the real issue for her. Get over it. It was a song. It was beautifully done and I'm sure many others with less talent have sung it at numerous weddings thanks to a few drinks and a karaoke machine. Sheesh. I wish I had so little going on in real life as Ms. James seems to.

XEtta fan

Etta James concert was the first and fastest sold out concert in Idaho - people gathered to hear her amazing voice - she was raunchy and didn't sing worth a darn - by the end of the concert less than half the people were still there - what a shame - her records/cd's still show why she is still listened to.