Etta James to Beyoncé:

I'll Whoop Your Ass!

2/4/2009 8:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Etta Goes Off: Click to listenThis is not a joke: 71-year-old Etta James actually threatened to beat the crap out of Beyoncé Knowles -- and it's caught all on tape!

The war is all over Etta's song, "At Last " -- Beyoncé sang the tune at Obama's 1st Inauguration Ball on Jan. 20th ... but last week at a concert in Seattle, James was still pissed.

While on stage, Etta told the crowd, "Your President, the one with the big ears ... he had that woman singing my song. She gone get her ass whipped."

She continued, "The great Beyoncé ... I can't stand Beyoncé," according to audio from Crown City Media.

Ironically Etta didn't kick up this sorta fuss when Beyoncé portrayed her in "Cadillac Records."

Reps for Beyoncé had no comment.

Donna

I thought Etta James was dead. She is lucky that Beyonce made her song famous again. She just wish she was young again and looked like Beyonce, why else would someone as old as her get a gastic bypass. Lol, get over your old, washed up drugged out life self, you are so forgotten!! How dare you talk about our President!

geek

Hell has no furry as a women scorned.

They women of the last century cannot get over there is a talented women of this century.

Being bitter is not a trait to be admired regardless of what talent she might or still might have.

Taxcut

Etta was wrong. She is 71 years old and disrespecting in a vulgar way Beyonce for singing the song for the President. This is the most rude and unprofessional thing. Its foul. Beyonce is sweet as pie. And hell she beautiful and talented. Beyonce brought Etta azz back from the abyss.

Tee

I was honored to have seen Ms. Etta James in concert at The Hollywood Bowl this past summer. There is NO comparison. Beyonce is Beyonce and Ms. James is Ms. James. Ms. James is F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S! And when you live to the tender age of 71 and can still perform the way she does she has the right to say whatever she want to! And if you get the opportunity to check her out the next time she comes to your town you will know exactly what I am talking about. You Go Etta!.
Tee- NYC

Justbeingme

I love "At Last" and true Beyonce' is not Etta James, but what Etta did was wrong. It was juvenile and pathetic to see someone of her age get on stage and blast not only Beyonce' but our newly elected President. I understand that Etta may have wanted to sing her song but from her comment she probably would not have sung it for him any way since President Obama is not "her president". And to make matters worse she must have been phoney the entire movie premiere. Yes there are better singers than Beyonce' but Ms. James would probably be saying the same things about any singer who may sing her song. I will always love the song but in my mind Ms. James is a jealous, spitful, and classless person. And the only question at mind is, can Ms. James still sing the song the way she use to?

Sassy P

I can't believe what Ms James said about Beyonce and President Obama, there are a lot of haters in our mist. I thought it was distasteful for Ms. James to make such comments. Don't get me wrong I love Etta James' music but I've lost some respect for her after her hateful comments. The drugs must not have fully left her system..

Sam What Am

Watch "Dreamgirls". Jennifer Hudson sang twice as well as Beyonce Knowles. Knowles is an attractive young woman in her stylized way, but not a great musician. The fact that the Obamas wanted 'their song' to be "At Last" but sung by Beyonce, says more negatively about the Obamas than it does about Etta James.

NICOLE

ETTA IS A COMPLETE ASS!!!! SHE IS OLD AND JEALOUS. HER TIME IS UP, HAS BEEN UP AND SHE CAN NEVER GET IT BACK! BEYONCE DID A WONDERFUL JOB AND THE OLD BITCH IS A HATER. IF ANYTHING SHE SHOULD BE THANKFUL THAT BEYONCE WANTED TO PLAY THE ROLE OF HER OLD ASS. AND AS FOR BARACK AND MICHELLE, THEY ARE YOUNG AND FRESH THEY DON'T WANT AN OLD HAS BEEN SINGING TO THEM ON THE MOST IMPORTANT NIGHT OF NOT ONLY THEIR LIVES, BUT THE WHOLE COUNTRY! PLEASE ETTA ENJOY YOUR LAST DAYS AND LET BEYONCE BE THE STAR THAT SHE IS! SHE'S TOO CLASSY TO COMMENT TO SOMEONE WHO PROBABLY HAS DEMENTIA!!!!!!!!

LensmanCT

Good for Etta!! She has a lotmore talent. I like her comment about Obama too.

Who Caresss!!!

Etta James is honored. She is in the rock and roll hall of fame. Beyonce? NOT!!!

sara Getsinger

Etta James in an old jealous bitch, Beyonce is nothing but down to earth and gracious. Beyonce has more class in her pinky than Etta does in her body.

sara Getsinger

P.S. - What is up with these old generation singers like Etta and Aretha? What do they have against a fellow talented black woman? They should be proud.

Cynthia Madison

Ms. James,
I was very appauled at yor remark about Beyonce. instead of you making those remarks about her, you should have been GLORIFYING in the fact that your song was presented as the Presidents dance song I don't think that you should be hating on her like that!!!!!!!!! You are will always be a legend, but you should also respect the fact the fact that the younger generation has the right to gain some spot as well as you!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whether it was your song or some one eles's song, you should feel honored!!!!!!!!! Beyonce deserves the same level of respeact that you had when yopu were her age!!!!!
May the LORD continue to BLESS YOU RICHLY.......................

ebony b

I have seen the movie and beyonce sound better than etta. she is a hater and jealous. she should be grateful Beyonce put her back and her name back in show business

Katie

Beyonce is trash compared to the great Etta James!!
She and BO have a lot in common----"look at me, it's all about me!"