Etta James to Beyoncé:

I'll Whoop Your Ass!

2/4/2009 8:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Etta Goes Off: Click to listenThis is not a joke: 71-year-old Etta James actually threatened to beat the crap out of Beyoncé Knowles -- and it's caught all on tape!

The war is all over Etta's song, "At Last " -- Beyoncé sang the tune at Obama's 1st Inauguration Ball on Jan. 20th ... but last week at a concert in Seattle, James was still pissed.

While on stage, Etta told the crowd, "Your President, the one with the big ears ... he had that woman singing my song. She gone get her ass whipped."

She continued, "The great Beyoncé ... I can't stand Beyoncé," according to audio from Crown City Media.

Ironically Etta didn't kick up this sorta fuss when Beyoncé portrayed her in "Cadillac Records."

Reps for Beyoncé had no comment.

uvon123

I was very disappointed in Etta james I have been a fan for years. I would have never thought she would talk about the Pesident or Beyonce. We older people should be happy for the young people. Beyounce is a class act and it is about time that this jealousy stop. The women is pretty,humble and talented. Ilove you Etta and I always will stop hating.

shindei

I've read on another article about this that Etta said 'he's not my president' so I think she's really pissed at the fact that the song was sung for the first B&W American president named Big Ears (make way for noddy!)

Shakespeare in the Bronx

Best to both ladies! My first ejaculation spurted while I looked at Beyonce and listened to Etta sing:

At last, my love has come along
My lonely days are over

And life is like a song
Oh, yeah, at last

Cynthia Madison

Ms. James,
I can't beleive that you are acting like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At your age, you should be an ENCOURAGEMENT to our YOUTH, not a DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I pray that GOD will still continue to BLESS YOU........

denise

i bet that etta is laughing all the way to the bank for beynoce performance she didnt complain then she needs to go sit down somewhere

Yours Truly

Ok let me say this 1st: Everyone on here talking about how horrible Beyonce is and how she has no talent. Have you looked at your bank account lately? If she has no talent and is so damn horrible and still has millions of dollars. You need to get like her and do something with yourselves besides talk about people with money. 2nd: Etta didn't have a problem with Beyonce playing her screwed up life in "Cadillac Records". I mean sleeping with married men and doing heroin isn't something I'll want to portray. But, I guess that was all fine and dandy for Etta. I thought she was dead until the end of the movie confirmed that she hadn't died yet. She should be glad that someone of Beyonce's stature would want to portray her. She should have been honored but just like other washed up artist she can't be satisfied!!! She has to have the world. Thanks to the beautiful Beyonce singing Etta's song, I actually took the time to find Etta's version and listen to it. But now that she's being ugly about Beyonce singing "her song" at the Neighborhood Ball, I'm sorry I spent my .99 on i tunes. It really seems like she's jealous of Beyonce and President Obama. Maybe she was upset that she wasn't there nor was she invited. Hell they probably thought she was deceased because I did. So to Etta and all the other random haters "GET A LIFE BECAUSE HATING IS BAD FOR THE SOLE"

OH Nasty Tina

Then if Beyonce' was so bad, why didn't Ms. Etta get off her ass, go down to the ball and sing the song the way it was supposed to be sung!? You can't hate when someone trys to sing "your song!" Ms. Patti LaBelle used to get a lot of heat for the exact same thing. The only difference is, Ms. LaBelle can usually sing songs better than the original artists! So Ms. Etta, be nice and be grateful. They could have chose another song all together. Some "Divas" make me sick!!!!

Katie

It's not about hate, Yours Truly. And learn how to spell! It's about an extremely gifted woman stating her opinion on Beyonce and her choice of song. And Etta can disown BO if she wants. 50-plus million people didn't vote for him, and now everyone can see what kind of "change" he had in mind if you CLOSELY look at what he's done in 13 days in office!!
To the tune of 900 billion dollars, he's taxing and spending us down the drain with his schemes of "spreading the wealth"---BO is a disgrace, and he is the most disingenuous, unprincipled, naive president we've experienced in modern times. 13 days, and he screws up every single day!! He makes Bill Clinton look like a choir boy.

Lori

I think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion and made into something more than it is. Sounded like Etta as just joking and saying stuff like that to get the audience going. I think it was all said in fun.

Whatever

"At Last" is NOT Etta James' song. Her version, like Beyonce's, is a COVER.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_Last.

This is not meant to defend Beyonce at all. I can't stand her singing myself. But Etta James is being a total liar and hypocrite. She only did a COVER of the song, and others are entitled to do so as well.

Ubiquitous

Who the hell is Etta James?

GaHusker

I think I just lost 50 IQ points by visiting this site. Celebrity worshiping is for losers!

tlp

It is crazy that women don't want to see other women succeed. I think Etta James is an awesome singer but so is Beyonce. We all need to quit trying to push/put down other people just because you can.

bubala

CRABS IN A POT. Why are black folks so prone to destroy any sense of unity and progress for no good reason. Isn't it time for change? While Etta James once-upon-a-time was able to sing At Last much better than B could ever dream, Etta apparently can't do it anymore, and personally, I would not have wanted to hear any of her raunchy crap at the neighborhood ball, let alone for any children to hear it. This is indeed a historical time for change and progress and Etta James has reminded us of the wicked ignorance that holds so many black people stuck in their own spheres of self perpetuating backwardness. I find black folks like her EMBARRASSING AS HELL!

jean d

It saddens me to see blacks tear each other down. Just as Etta James had to fight racism in her Cadillac records days, in 2009 blacks are still fighting the same racism, and to tear another person down instead of extending a hand to pull them up is shameful. Sorry folks, but Etta's display was embarrasing and pathetic. Etta received royalties for the song and the movie, which folks, by the way, was originally not written for her or sung by her. (Google who originally sang at last before Etta did). As far as Etta's Obama comment, well, it's her opinion, and she's entitled to it. But just as Etta is, or was, classic for her time, Beyonce is classic for her time. So much racism and hate out there. You have two talented individuals with 2 different styles. I believe Etta would take it all back if she could. Don't rejoice in hate, people. The world is already drowning in it.