Etta James to Beyoncé:

I'll Whoop Your Ass!

2/4/2009 8:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Etta Goes Off: Click to listenThis is not a joke: 71-year-old Etta James actually threatened to beat the crap out of Beyoncé Knowles -- and it's caught all on tape!

The war is all over Etta's song, "At Last " -- Beyoncé sang the tune at Obama's 1st Inauguration Ball on Jan. 20th ... but last week at a concert in Seattle, James was still pissed.

While on stage, Etta told the crowd, "Your President, the one with the big ears ... he had that woman singing my song. She gone get her ass whipped."

She continued, "The great Beyoncé ... I can't stand Beyoncé," according to audio from Crown City Media.

Reps for Beyoncé had no comment.

nira k

I will never understand why Beyonce was chosen to sing THAT song when Etta James is still alive and in great voice. Beyonce is a beautiful girl, very classy and sweet with some talent and a great marketing team. Etta James is a gifted ARTIST with more heart and soul in her than most people could ever dream of. I can understand Etta"s anger. She was the forerunner, and here Beyonce gets to sing her song and sort of kill it in a weak performance. Why they chose to have a cheesy cover over the real deal beats me.

Paulie Wants a Cracker

I think it would of been better of Etta sang it. It is her song and since Etta has seen a lot of racial stuff in her life it would just be right for her to sing it for the President. I voted for Obama but he wants to be hip for my taste. Beyonce didn't move me with that song, the president and his wife did. Etta got a bum deal.

corblue

It's not Etta James song. Someone else wrote it. A lot of people have sung that song. She's the third person to sing it. Etta made it famous.

Troublebrewing

I don't care about either of them. I will say I have walked out on Etta twice now because she is disgusting to watch in concert. Nasty nasty nasty!

Karen

Etta James actually has TALENT, which is not a necessity in much of today's music industry. Some surgery, packaging, marketing, lots of background singers, computers...Beyonce could not pass the first go-around of American Idol.

ttyl

Beyonce should have asked for her permission before she sang at the ball. Beyonce is not original.

Lisa

TMZ said: "Ironically Etta didn't kick up this sorta fuss when Beyoncé portrayed her in "Cadillac Records."

Stop being misleading you bastards. Etta was NEVER feeling Beyonce. When she went to the premier of Cadillac Records, she said that no one ever consulted with her about making this movie about her life, she didn't even know beyonce, and hadn't met her. She was trying to show some grace and not bad-mouth the girl for the sake of the premier, but one could clearly tell she was not feeling this girl, felt a lack of respect from her, and didn't have a huge appreciation for her portraying her in this movie.

I know you guys are sh*t stirrers for a living, but come on now...

Bobp

I think wanting "At Last" sung at your iInauguration, and then passing on Etta James was a foolish decision.
Comparing Etta to Beyond is like comparing the Statue of Liberty to a Barbie doll.

Brenda

Etta can say what ever she wants...I lover her.

amy c

Etta is a nasty old hag

CVS Whore

I'm sure the big checks Obama got from Mr.Beyonce had a lot to do with it.

MacArthur

The Etta James version is amazing.

kb

FIRST OF ALL, LETS STATE FACTS HERE!!! ETTA JAMES DID NOT WRITE "AT LAST"...."At Last" is a 1941 song written by Mack Gordon and Harry Warren for the musical film Orchestra Wives, starring George Montgomery and Ann Rutherford. It was first performed in the film and on record by Glenn Miller and his orchestra, vocal by Ray Eberle and Pat Friday. The song was a major hit for Miller, reaching number 14 on the Billboard pop charts in 1942, and it soon became a standard. Nat King Cole recorded it in 1957 on his number one album Love Is the Thing. So where does she get off with this mess, and as far as her dogging President Obama, she can go to hell with that!!! It's so obvious that she is still a cracked out Heroin Junkie and can't accept the fact that she is washed up and dead!!! She should be so grateful to Beyonce for even acknowledging her ass.

DiamondPrincess

Maybe Etta was high :( Or maybe she like all the Haters are jealous of Beyoncé

thebigO

etta who oh thats right she only had one big hit....lol....stupid troll