Etta -- "At Last" She's Been Exposed as Hypocrite

2/5/2009 1:35 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

If Etta James thinks she should beat down Beyonce for covering "her song," then by her own logic, Etta has a couple of ass-kickings coming her way too -- 'cause Etta's version of "At Last" was a cover too!

Etta James
Etta went on stage in Seattle last week and told the crowd she's gonna lay the smack down on B for "singin' my song" at Obama's Inauguration Ball. But not only did the 71-year-old not write the song, she wasn't even the first -- or second -- to record it!

Glenn Miller did it first in 1942, followed by Nat King Cole in 1957. Etta got around to recording it in 1961. In fact, Glenn's version ranked higher on the Billboard Pop Singles chart than Etta's ever did.

FYI -- neither Miller nor Cole ever threatened to beat Etta's ass -- although it's about time someone knocks some sense into that lady.

Etta James Audio

HowEmbarrassingForEtta

I am not a Beyonce fan whatsoever, but if Obama is not Etta James' president, what the heck is she ruffled about?
If Etta James authorized/approved Beyonce portraying her in the upcoming movie, what is Etta complaining about?
Did she approach the Obama's to sing the song? I doubt it, if she really feels that Obama is not her president.
I've always liked Etta James music, however, I find her reaction and more importantly, her reaction, tasteless, unprofessional and incredibly petty and embarrassing. Beyonce hardly butchered the song and the Obama's and the public seemed to enjoy it. Perhaps if James offered to sing at the inaugration parties, Beyonce would have had to pick another song. So, stop whining Etta - it's easy to complain from the sidelines.
Whatever happened to passing the baton to the next generation? What a compliment to James that someone of Beyonce's generation wanted to pick such a classic song to sing rather than some of the awful songs of Beyonce's generation.
James owes Obama and Beyonce an apology for her petty little hissy fit. She won't. She's too out of touch.
Or, is this merely a publicity stunt to get her on the radar again so people will go see the new movie? Think about it? People love drama and headlines. James has been out of the headlines for a long time in any career manner. Maybe this is a stunt to get more people to see the movie when it comes out?
Shame on Etta James.

Chipel

For anyone to say Etta is the more famous---that is an opinion. The quantitative proof is Nat King Cole's version is higher rated. But beyond the lack of class. This was financial stupid for Ms. JAmes.

More people of this age knew who she was because of Beyonce.

And the president has a greater love, approval and fan base than Eta James at this current moment. I think she just may have hurt her bottom line if she is looking for new gigs.

DJ

WOAH! Timeout...I'm not one to comment on these things, but for Jennifa to say that Etta James was a one-hit wonder is a clear indication of ignorance. Etta James IS a legend...with hits like Sunday Kind of Love, Stormy Weather, At Last, I'd Rather Go Blind.... was she right for going off the way she did? No, but I can understand where she's coming from. No matter what this "article" might say, this is HER song. She may not have written it, but she took the words and made something of them where Glenn Miller and Nat King Cole couldn't. And for Beyonce to not only be asked to do it, but go ahead with it is just wrong. Honestly I figured Etta James had to be dead for them not to ask her to sing it. Why wouldn't they?? If Beyonce say had any class in her untalent (but prefectly formed) body, she would have turned the offer down, suggesting that they have Etta sing it....but that's just me!

2024 days ago

THE CHILDREN ARE NOT BEING PROPERLY SUPERVISED...PERIOD!

Etta James made the song "AT LAST" very popular........................period

Beyonce with her country ass swag screws the song up.

DS

It's a sad day in America when a person gets upset when another person singing a song that is well liked and respected around the world by the person whom made it famous ( Etta James). I have always loved the song, and thought that Christina Aguilerabought it home with her version! So tell me why Etta did not get upset with Christinia? Poor taste Etta, should have kept your mouth close, you showed so much disrespect for the President and Beyonce. I thought Beyonce did an excellent job! Shame on you!!

DeliciousMammy

Why does everyone hate Beyonce so much? ETTA JAMES HAD HER DAY IN THE SUN---SHE BLEW IT! I was also reading the autobiography of Osama Bin Laden's African mistress Kola Boof and she blasted BEYONCE worse than Etta James did (I guess she's a Whitney Houston fan since her pot-smoking rapist boyfriend OSAMA was so obsessed with Whitney. At least JAY Z doesn't treat Beyonce the way Bobby did Whitney or the way Osama beat & raped Kola's behind--you gotta read the book to understand). But what is with all these people attacking Beyonce?

joan

If I were Beyonce I wouldn't give a rats ass as to what this old has-been says. She was absolutely fabulous singing for our new President and first lady. Old Lady Etta only wishes she could sing as well as Beyonce did. If she was so bent out shape for her singing at the inauguration, then she should have been equally upset when she was making the movie cadilac man.
Etta James is an ugly,ugly hateful person and the only reason why she is saying these things to Beyonce is because she is one JEALOUS BITCH. You people are calling her a Legend "WHY" ? SHE NOTHING BUT A SCAB.

silly me

Oh no! Etta does not like Obama, she must be destroyed.

Sincejan

this washed up old woman is obviously on drugs and it sounds like she;s just smoked her last crack and is hours away from another hit. What a disgusting person. Beyonce's dog allowance is Etta James's life saving. Go Away!!

WriteRight

Great Post TMZ!!!!!

Someone needs to set the record straight regarding what is essentiall Etta's only REAL hit!

When I read the post this morning I was thinking the same thing you posted and that was that Etta was far from the first to sing that song!

She's obviously jealous of Bey, not unlike a whole lot of postes in this thread.

Eat your heart out guys!

She's RICH, WAY MORE TALENTED THAN YOU, BEAUTIFUL AND HAS A BODY THAT WON'T QUIT!

You wish you could be as HOT as Bey!

Get Real!

MJ @ 12:41pm...WELL SAID!!!!!! Jealousy will only get you to your grave much quicker...GET OVER IT!!!!

deb

Go get her Etta. Beyonce sucks.

chip

I cannot believe that Etta James would sink to such a low to insult our president of the United States by stating "the one with the big ears". or calling him "not my president". I used to have such respect for Etta James, but no more. Her insults to Beyonce and more IMPORTANTLY the president are inexcusable. At a time in our country when the economy is falling apart and world wide issues; Etta James has the ignorance to make such a statement and not support our new president.
I call for a boycott of playing Ettta James on the radio as well as Barrack supporters to not buy her CD's, I already threw away her CD's from my collection. Maybe next time, the obviously jealous old bag will think twice before opening her stupid mouth to insult our president and others. BOYCOTT ETTA JAMES!!!!!!

2023 days ago

WALEE

THAT'S HER SIGNATURE SONG OK?! IS BEYONCE GOING TO MAKE WHITNEY HOUSTON'S "I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU " HERS TOO?THE LADY IS MAD BECAUSE BEYONCE NEVER MET HER OR CALL HER BEFORE FILMING CADILLAC RECORDS.THEY MET ON THE RED CARPET! SHOW THE OLD LADY SOME RESPECT PLEASE! SHE IS ENTITLED TO HER OPINION OK? NEXT TIME SHE IS INVITED TO AN OFFICIAL EVENT BEYONCE SHOULD STICK TO HER "CLASSIC"REPERTOIRE IE SUGA MAMA,NASTY GIRL,RING THE ALARM,DIL, FREAKUM DRESS ETC

2023 days ago

steve

if etta james was gonna be this mad at beyonce singing why didnt she go and preform the song at the superbowl oh wait noone of the younger generation knows who etta jaames is nor do they care so they asked beyonce too go and preform the song that etta thought was hers etta should stay quiet and enjoys decrepitude

2023 days ago