Miley Digs Herself a Hole All the Way to China

2/5/2009 11:55 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Hanoi Montana doesn't seem to get why people think she's mocking Asians in this picture.

Miley Cyrus

During a half-ass non-apology she just posted on her website, Miley claims she was simply making "goofy faces" with her friends and "In NO way was I making fun of any ethnicity." Ok, it's a plausible explanation ... BUT WHY ISN'T THE ASIAN DUDE MAKING THE FUNNY FACE?

Hanoi then deflects responsibility even more by joking that the only reason people are mad is because "... now that Britney is back on top of her game again, they need someone to pick on!"

Her full statement can be read after the jump.

"Ive also been told there are some people upset about some pictures taken of me with friends making goofy faces! Well, Im sorry if those people looked at those pics and took them wrong and out of context!

In NO way was I making fun of any ethnicity! I was simply making a goofy face. When did that become newsworthy? It seems someone is trying to make something out of nothing to me. If that would of been anyone else, it would of been overlooked! I definitely feel like the press is trying to make me out as the new 'BAD GIRL'!"

I feel like now that Britney is back on top of her game again, they need someone to pick on! Lucky me! haha Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know what is on my heart. You guys know me and have been by my side every step of the way!

You guys know my heart and know the most important things to me are my friends, family, fans, and GOD! In NO WAY do I want to disappoint any of you! But, when I have made mistakes in the past, I feel like Ive owned up to them and apologized.

Anyway, I really wish everyone would stop focusing on my personal life and get back to focusing on what I love! Music and Acting! Hopefully, I will be touring again this fall! Yayy! =] It will be a nice change to be back out on the road again!"

xoxo Blessings.. Miley =)

sue

The only thing that disturbs me about the picture is she sitting on a 20 something guys lap, and all the people in the picture are visibly 5 plus years older than her. One even looks like he is holding a glass of wine. I understand she very well could be more mature than most 16 year olds, however its healthy for her to have friends closer to her age, and her parents should really be careful who she is hanging out with. I don't think she wants to look back on herself as a teenager and realize she never got to be one.

alex

Forget about "making faces," can someone tell me why she's hanging out with "friends" who drink wine? This girl is 16 and her "friend" on the right is holding a glass of wine.

This girl needs to get lost, and her parents should be a little bit more strict.

empak

Growing up in school system in which I was one of the few Asian kids, I would occasionally encounter other kids mocking me by speaking gibberish ("ching-chong" and the like) and using this facial expression. It hurt every single time. This is probably the reason people are getting so upset over this photo. What is this saying to the many young fans she has out there? That it's okay to make fun of other people just because they're a little different?

poopsi

TO ANYONE WHO THINKS THIS IS NOT RACIAL, THAN YOUR PART OF A GROWING PROBLEM, WHAT WAS HER PURPOSE FOR EVEN DIONG THIS , WHAT ABOUT ALL OF THOSE ASIAN,KOREAN. CHILDREN WHO ADMIRE HER AND PURCHASED HER CD, WHAT ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO THINK

who has the facts? ME

The girl is growing up WAY too fast...if her parents aren't careful, she will be the next Britney Spears. Do these Hollywood parents never learn?? Dating 20 year olds, hanging with people who are drinking, not a good image.

Prince Von A-Hole

Go getum Peerez OH! I mean Harvey. Being a child is no excuse for
doing things chilren do RIGHT. Im sure the prssure will eventually
drive her to drugs also. Then you can be proud how you ruinned a
young life for future stories. We know you can do it. You did it to
Britney.

Ang

OK, yes she is a kid and yes everyone has done this at one point in time, Yes it was a mistake, Yes she is sorry she got caught. Yes she is in the limelight so everything she does is more focused on her BUTSad to say my daughters LOVE her. I More over you'd think she'd remember all the controversy during the Olympic and that b-ball team. I think it is just a way for her to get attention since more parents are realizing she is not a good role model Do I think Miley is a bad influence, yes but not for the face she is making, I think people would be more concerned with this 16 year old girl "hanging out" with friends that are obviously WAY older than her and drinks being served and sitting on her 20 year old bf lap.

Asian Persuasion partially causation

The asian kid is making a funny face. He is opening his eyes WIDE. White people should be furious that Miley Cyrus would hang out with someone that puts down white people. For shame.

Mr B

To me it looks like the asian guy is doing a kaukasian face! His eyes even has eyelids! "Funny faces"? Totaly plusible to me...
PS: Like you all havent been making funny "asian" faces in your life!? Get real!

ugh

um, isn't there an asian kid in the picture with her? If he's not having a problem with it, then why is everyone else?

Resiak

Normally I'd be right here making fun of a celeb. But that's just silly kid stuff. They're all like "I want to be Asian too" So they slanted their eyes. He's obviously having fun.

lamberto

wow. ok. as i was reading these comments from people defending miley, saying she was only a "kid", i thought oh, she must be 10 or 11... but no, she's 16. she's not a kid! and she definitely should know better. when i was that age, i and everyone i knew had better sense. but i wouldn't go as far to say what she did was racist, however it was definitely insensitive. and they're ALL making the same face; there's not just one random "slant eye face" in there. it's obvious what they were doing. so, i think everyone can stop trying to deflect the incident by saying it's just a goofy picture. look, i'm asian and i'm not really offended by this picture. (i hardly care about anything miley does.) but i understand how some people might be offended. they called her out on it; so just apologize and move on.

Summer

I blame her parents....first of all they allow their 15 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER to date a 20 year old (15 will get you 20...hmmm) and secondly, why is minor/Miley...who is 15...(did I mention that) hanging out at what looks like a party to me where alcohol is served? Oh so sad....AND with the economy the way it is... with people losing their jobs and houses every minute... you would think SOMEONE in her outfit would grow a BRAIN and start making her over priced, cheap plastic Hannah Montana USA bought but oversee's produced for less right here in the USA....Text book gluttony

Krispy

I don't think she meant harm by this she's a child and if she's mocking someone of asian descent I am sure it wouldn't be right in front of someone she cares for. The more important question is she's so young why is she with people so much older and in an environment not for her age. Sitting on one guys lap (obviously quite a bit older) and See the dude with a glass of wine??? I think that's more important!

Mike Hunt

I'm gonna put a push-up bra and thong on top of my head so people think i'm making fun of breasts and asses...