Sully to Tower -- "We're Goin' in the Hudson"

2/5/2009 1:29 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Officials have finally released the dramatic audio recording of the moment Captain Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger called in a double bird strike and warned air traffic control that Flight 1549 "might end up in the Hudson."

Flight 1549 audio: Click to watch
It's amazing how cool and calm everybody acted in the situation, however there was one moment of confusion -- during the brief communication, neither the pilot nor the traffic controllers identify the correct number of the flight -- 1549.

Sully calls it "1539" and the traffic controllers call it "Flight 1529" -- didn't matter in the end though, they still pulled off a "miracle."

ehendricks

This man is a hero

The Dude

True american hero hands down! Not a man who was worried about his image...did his job ..gave all his soul had for the situation, and came out a winner. All his pasengers have stories to tell when thier old.

Lekili

Why is it that air traffic control was not listening to Captain Sully?
Even after he said he was going down in THE HUDSON the air controller was telling him what runways were free. Captain Sully kept his calm even though he knew his aircraft was going to crash land. The calm in his voice is amazing.........a real hero.

Wow

The whole crew is heroic. Grace under pressure saved many lives.

Candy

That is such a miracle. I think the controller did a great job of trying to find him different runways in just seconds. I am sure that he didn't want to hear that it was going into the Hudson. I can't even begin to imagine everything that was going through Capt. Sulley's mind as he was trying to land that plane. I had the news on when it happened and I never thought everyone would live. He is a hero and it's such a miracle and a blessing. I hope they are all doing well.

Dixie

Wow! Captain Sully is a real hero. He was so calm and I dont think I ever heard his voice crack once. Rainbow68 is so right on the whole crew was heroic and grace under pressure saved many lives that day. Seeing them being honored at the Super Bowl was definately the highlight.

Dixie

Sully is truely a hero. God Bless him.

patti

HES GOT THE WHOLE WORLD IN HIS HANDS, HES GOT THE wHOLE WORLD IN HIS HANDS, HES GOT THE WHOLE WORLD IN HIS HANDS, HES GOT THE WHOLE WORLD IN HIS HANDS! Thank you GOD, Captain Sully, u r a hero!!!!!!!!!

1996 days ago

The former shadow of WTC one.

And the clowns in Hollywood think they have some real contribution to spaceship earth? I can't help think of the contrast between Cap Sully and Sean Penn, Michael Moore, Alec Baldwin, Et Al...

KimberlyKay

I'm terrified of flying but I pray to God that if something happens on one of my flights I have someone as cool and collected as this pilot was - OUTSTANDING! Your my hero!

Mich

Amazing, great job Capt. Sully :)

DSC

Congrats to Capt Sully and his crew. He will tell you(and he would be absolutely correct) that ALL airline pilots are subject to yearly training that requires them to handle situations much like the landing in the Hudson. Almost every capt. you meet when flying could have done exactly the same thing as Sully. This is why they used to be paid so much. When a situation arises where they CAN save your lives...they WILL.

gutsygirl

I have more angst in my voice ordering a Happy Meal.

Sulley=True American Hero

Orthodox Atheist

THIS WAS NOT A MIRACLE OR A BLESSING!!! God had nothing to do with building or landing that plane. It was many people staying calm, actually listening and using years of training to overcome a crisis situation.

Tee

I don't think the air controller realized he was going into the Hudson River because the air controller he would have flipped out. It would've been you're landing where? did he just say the Hudson as in the Hudson River. holly cow!

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments