The "Lost" Diary -- The Little Prince

2/5/2009 4:42 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

DanielHey everybody, Daniel here and after a long, protracted contract negotiation (kidding) ... welcome back to another edition of the "Lost" Diary.

Here's a thought I had the other day that proves I am not all there:

If you were contemplating suicide – I mean REALLY contemplating it – would you factor in that you would never find out what happened on "Lost" into your pros/cons list? I mean, if I were really on the edge and about to end it all, I'd have to try and hang on for another year or so til "Lost" ends.

Sometimes I have too much time on my hands.

Anyway, for all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes: I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. I've decided to quarantine myself tonight and watch "Lost" by myself – I didn't want to risk exposing Ari and Lauren to the Ebola/E. coli/E. leprosy disease I seem to have contracted. Let's roll:

9:00 -- If I am ever in a car crash or shot by a gunman or something, I hope I hear a voice that says "Previously on Daniel" before my life flashes before my eyes.

9:01 -- The 180 I've done on Kate is now full fledged -- every time she comes on screen, my ears bleed. Figures the whole "Kate is Aaron's son" idea was hers.

9:03 -- I hope we learn this week that Sun sent the lawyers to scare Kate. It's pretty obvious it was her.

9:04 -- Sun gets secret files in the mail and a box of chocolates with a gun. I hate the ones with coconut in the middle, so I imagine the gun-filled ones don't taste very good either.

9:09 -- Has Juliet earned the right to call Sawyer "James"? I don't think so.

9:10 -- Why did Kate go and see the lawyer who was trying to do a paternity test on Aaron? I thought she was going on the run.

9:11 -- Exchange of custody ... interesting. Perhaps I am way off on the whole Sun thing.

9:12 -- "I have to make them come back, even if it kills me." -- Locke

9:13 -- Miles has been underused so far this season, don't you think?

9:14 -- Apparently Jack was suspended for all the pill-popping. Makes sense.

9:15 -- "Dude, I'm totally cool. I'm in L.A. County Lockup." -- Hurley. Really? Totally cool?

9:17 -- Sayid just strangled a guy with his own IV tube. Let's see Jason Bourne do that!

9:18 -- "That's Kate's address." -- Jack

(1/3 of the way through the show -- has anything really happened?)

9:22 -- Coming this fall to ABC -- he spent his entire life on a magical island being bossed around by a ghost. And he's an Iraqi torturer trying to find his way in the big city. They're "Ben & Sayid." Part of an all-new TGIFridays on ABC.

9:24 -- "Do you know when we are?" was cool ... the first time I heard it.

9:25 -- Here's a thought -- that light that is coming up from the ground reminds me of when the light that came up from the hatch back in season 1. Now I hear -- and forgive me if I'm way off here -- the sound of Claire screaming. Is it possible the "when" they are is season 1?

9:26 -- Yup -- it's Claire and Kate and Claire is giving birth. I am on fire this season.

9:27 -- Island skipping = getting old.

9:31 -- I don't want to try and inject logic or anything here, but instead of asking Kate what's wrong with her, maybe Jack should mention there are trained assassins after her. Just a thought.

9:32 -- What percentage of this season has been spent listening to people talk while they walk? It's like I'm watching "The West Wing" or something.

9:34 -- Miles and Faraday have a nice little conversation about time spent on the island -- for those of you that think Miles is the son of Dr. Candle, that conversation should make you/us feel good.

9:35 -- Something about boats and airlines and Vegas.

9:36 -- The crew of the SS Minoe is being shot at by some random people. The only thing that could possibly save them now is ...

9:37 -- Another flash. How convenient. I am actually getting angry now.

9:38 -- The woman that wants Aaron back is Claire's mother. Has it ever been explained how she woke up out of the coma?

9:44 -- Jack thinks he can talk Claire's mom out of taking back Aaron. What are the odds he goes inside that hotel, convinces Claire's mom, but when he comes out, Kate is gone?

9:45 -- "Who's Aaron?" -- Claire's mom. Interesting.

9:46 -- "Then who is it?" -- Kate. Yes, my Sun prediction still has a chance.

9:47 -- So this Norton guy is Ben's lawyer. I am still sticking with Sun on this one.

9:48 -- In island time, how long has Kate been gone? A couple of days at most, right? Suck it up, James.

9:50 -- French wreckage? OMG -- are we about to see Danielle?

9:51 -- Or Jin. I was close.

9:57 -- Oh well, turns out it was Ben trying to take Aaron all along. Can't win em all.

9:59 -- French, French, French, broken English, French.

10:00 -- "Hello Jin, I'm Danielle Rousseau." -- young Rousseau. And she's kinda hot!

So what did we learn this week? Jin is alive ... And, um ...

An average or even downright awful episode "Lost" can often be redeemed by a moment or two -- one scene is sometimes all it takes. There have been a couple of good moments this season, but none worthy enough to redeem much of what has gone on this year.

This week, we were treated to another episode of people going from one place to another, talking about going from one place to another, or debating whether or not they should go from one place to another. In all seriousness, what has really happened in the four hours we have watched?

I'll take it a step further – let's say someone asked you, "What has happened this season on 'Lost'?" What would your answer be? Here's mine:

"The island keeps skipping through time and the Oceanic Six are slowly reuniting to go back to the island."

Did I miss anything?

In going back to my Prince/"Lost" fan analogy, I am sure I will get several "Daniel you're just hating" emails/comments over the next week. What can I tell you? I flat out have not liked any of the episodes so far. Does it change my feeling of "Lost" as a whole? No -- still love the show, still gonna obsess about it, still gonna write about it.

Ok, I'm better now.

AND ANOTHER THING!!! Look, I think we all knew Jin was going to still be alive, but it's still stupid. He was on board of a freighter that exploded ... and lived. I know "Lost" is not exactly steeped in reality here, but this irks me.

BUT!!! I love the idea of a young Danielle. It will be interesting to see how long Jin gets to hang with her before the island CONVENIENTLY skips again, but it could be educational.

AND!!! This episode wasn't about Prince at all. Liars!

Anyway, I give this episode a D-. The writing has been poor, nothing has been happening, and I can't find anything redeeming about this season so far.

So here's my question – you know how I feel about "Lost" this season, can you convince me otherwise?

99centz

FIRST AGAIN SUCKERS!!!

stephc5

Actually, I have worried that I might die before I get answers on Lost!!

By accident not by suicide...*L*

bee

I totally agree with you on all points here. And, I have thought to myself that if I die before LOST ends, I want to ask God or St Peter or whoever "What happened on LOST?!"

mokacouch

When I was getting ready to watch this episode, I couldn't even remember whether I had watched last week's. I did, but I didn't remember a single thing about it. This week's episode will be similarly unmemorable, except (as you point out), for young hot Danielle.

chelsea

i very much disagree with you. this season has been great so far! you seem to think that nothing has happened, but this was the first episode that actually calmed down and the people talked about what's happening. it was a nice break from all the chaos in the first episodes. i don't even know why i bother reading this. Doc Jensen's Lost reviews are so much better, because he actually does research and gives great insight and predictions. he doesn't just pause it every two minutes to say something about what just happened. i guess it's true. this season is for the REAL fans.... we're weeding out the bandwagon fans that don't have any attention spans.

Jen

I read somewhere about the idea that the island and all it's magnetic powers are to be used to change the mathematical date (the numbers) that a scientist came up with (young bearded guy) that will mark the end of the world...so they brought on people with special powers and scientific knowledge to brainstorm how to change the date. Explains why Ben is so weird about saying he's one of the good guys and so determined to get them all back. Plus, the people all must know each other that survive time travel because they must have their 'constants' with them, so they must have all been connected in the past. This season is only interesting because of this theory to me, otherwise I agree it's a confusing mess so far! Hopefully that'll help start your interest back up to give some feedback again this year! Oh and this is the lost island of Atlantis and the never aging eyeliner guy is the final surviver...

Todd in Santa Monica

I have sometimes thought that 'LOST' will cause me to commit suicide from never actually making sense

Sherryl

I pretty much agree with everything you said too. Sometimes I wonder why in the heck I keep watching it........but I do. One day it's gonna make sense right??? right???
Only thing I didn't get was your 9:01 when you said Kate is Aaron's son. I'm assuming that was supposed to be Aaron is Kate's son. I do enjoy your writing about Loat

Darren

Rousseau was pregnant when she landed on the Island-therefore Ben could not be father to her daughter

TheseDays

Here I thought Sun and Kate had conjured something brilliant when Kate charged off to go see the lawyer......lame offer she made. Was wondering how Jin was gonna come back to us - nice! Just don't bring back Charlie. Almost seemed as if Sayid was a day late and a dollar short when he was on the island (considering he was a special military guy), but this episode brought back some dignity for him, sure liked the way he was ten steps ahead of the deadly nurse. Gotta say, these time warps are on my nerves already.

Mitchell Parker

You people are UNBELIEVABLE! How "believable" was the first episode of the entire show...the second...the third??? A plane crashes and a crippled guy can WALK?? An unseen monster?? A POLAR BEAR??? C'mon, the only reason you haters say you don't like the show any more is because it's NO LONGER NEW!! It's in it's 5th season, and suddenly all that's happened before is supposed to MAKE SENSE??? People...it's a FANTASY!!! There is NO OTHER SHOW ON TV today like it. It is REFRESHING to not know all the answers. I don't want to be able to guess what's coming next. That's called ORIGINALITY! The actors, writers, producers, set designers, wardrobe, photography, Giacchino's score...all BRILLIANT!! LONG LIVE LOST!!! (even after it's gone).

Pookie

I no longer care one whit about the characters.
Let them all die. They all act so predictable. It's become boring.
I can't really figure anything out and now they bring in new characters, a boat load of shipwrecked French!

jenirow

THANK YOU!! I am so over the island skipping in time thing...I am still a devoted fan but they need to pick up the pace! I am actually confused as to where everyone is in time, for example the people on the island vs. the people who went home. I mean when they show the Oceanic Six 3 years later does that mean the people on the island have been there for an actual 3 years?? Or are they skipping around in time so it just seems like a few days?

Julia

Oh my Gosh! I am loving this season! Every episode I have watched so far has made me gasp "OH MY GOSH!" (I do realize gosh is lame)

I just feel like things are coming together the way I want them to and things are happening at a faster pace then say season 2.

Yay for Lost!!!!

Matt

Wouldn't it be better to get someone who actually enjoys the small nuances of Lost to write the acticles. Hey Daniel, check out the reviews of Lost episodes done on IGN.com. A nerd wrote it so he/she/they know what he/she/they are talking about. And yes I did just plug another website on yours. Suck on it.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments