Obamas "Stunned" by Etta Slam

2/6/2009 2:15 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Etta JamesBeyonce might be mum on Etta James' wacko verbal slap, but Barack and Michelle Obama, apparently, were taken more than a little aback.

A White House insider tells the Chicago Sun-Times the First Couple was "stunned" by James' remarks. "It never crossed anyone's mind that there was anything inappropriate about Beyonce singing that song," admitted the source. Worse yet, "I'm sure some of the younger people involved didn't even know she is alive!"

Etta said yesterday it was all a big joke. Hilarious.

Heeeere's Johnny

I am not a Beyonce fan I believe she is marginally talented as a vocalist BUT I watched her perform "At Last" on television for The Obama's and she nailed it. She looked so pretty and her rendition was genuine and flawless. Etta James should be flattered that the younger generation is keeping her "old school" music mainstream and current. She did not have to be so nasty and ghetto with her tirade.

2052 days ago

Nrthdude1

If Aretha Franklin, who lost her voice several years ago and should have retired from the public eye, was thought fit to perform in her "hat" at the inaguration, there is no reason why Etta James shouldn't have been asked.

Etta is alive and well, thank you very much. She's still got a great voice and can belt out any tune. Stevie Nicks, did a great rendition of Etta's song a few years ago, and she's still very popular, but she's white, so she would never have been asked, and Etta isn't "in" with the media.

So we all got stuck with Beyonce and her trashy 1980s "fashions," her mediocre music, and her climbing, graspsing, personality. Ugh. Eventually she'll go the way of Whitney and Mariah, and our national Beyone nightmare will be over.

This was another bad pick by Obama. - First it was the homophobic "Pastor" Rick Warren, asked by Obama to give the inaugural invocation, then Tim Geithner (or whatever his name is), the dude who owes 140K(!!!) who Obama has put incharge of our country's finances, Senator Dashle, Governor Richardson, the list goes on...

Thank God for Hillary.

2052 days ago

Nrthdude1

The Obamas are always so surprised or "stunned" when things don't go smoothly for them as a result of their bad choices.

They were stunned that even thought the Democrat National Commission and its superdelegates nominated Barack, Hillary Clinton still won the popular vote (18 million plus, more than any candidate in American primary history).

They were stunned that John McCain's selection of Sara Palin made him more poplular than Obama until the curiously timed "economic crisis" came about and McCain got swept away with the rest of the Republicans.

They were stunned that they needed the Clintons to win the election and stunned that they had to go to Bill Clinton for help instead of the other way around, because Bill was pissed at being smeared as racist and was furious at Barack's sexist campaign against Hillary.

They were stunned by the immoral, unethical, perhaps illegal actions of several of their nominees- Geitner, Richardson, Daschle, the list goes on...

They're always stuneed when things don't go smoothly for them, don't go their way, or when people disagree with them.

Now they're stunned that Etta James (unlike Aretha Franklin) who is still robust and in fine form vocally, and was pissed that she wasn't asked to sing. Who could blame her?

And the Obamas were once again "stunned..."

2052 days ago

Urnie

I find this article to be offensive by TMZ.com staff writers because it is blatantly disrespectful to President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama by not correctly addressing the President of the United States and the First Lady in the media. As for Ms. Etta James, She is deeply troubled.

2052 days ago

fatu sankoh

OLD LADY ETTA JAMES WAS NOT JOCKING AT ALL I THOUGHT SHE WAS IF IS NOT FOR BEYONCE FOR SINGIND THAT SONG SO AMAZINGLY I WILL NEVER HAVE KNOWN ABOUT HER SHE IS TRYING TO CAPILIZING ON HATING ON OUR BEY FOR HER OWN GAIN SHAME ON YOU OLD LADY I THAOUGHT SHE WAS DEAD GOA BLESS YOU BEYONCE PUT YOUR HEAD UP HIGHT GOD LOVES YOU AND WE YOUR FANS

2051 days ago

len

2051 days ago

len

Etta James is an Icon. But she did not fit the illusion, that Oscama's P.R. machine were pushing at all cost. Their vision: Young {???}, a "beautiful" {???} Romantically in-love { ???} { my ass}, married couple..he wore a tuxedo & bow tie.................she a white virginal dress { looked like a dress with mothballs hanging from it}..........dancing & cooing { drooling more like it } Camelot !!! Camelot !!!..........As we already know , Camelot, was an illusion. The publicity machine may create.......but it won't sustain. Figuratively speaking, my opinion : Hollywood is a pimp. Mr. O , it's prostitute. They bought him. He owes them. But.......in the real world of politics..........Mr. O. is financially "cap" happy............People don't appreciate their "perks" being tampered with..........their financial livelihood being {mal} "adjusted".

2051 days ago

memchee

the obama's are playin' dumb.

Any reasonable person would view that as a slight, especially since beyonce doesn't even sing the song better than etta!

2051 days ago

Mel19*81

I'm only 27, and even though I'm Aquarian (modern in opinions etc.) I still believe in respecting your elders. Etta James is physically capable of singing a song she song before Beyonce was born... or even before Barack was born... It would have made the most sense for her to sing it. I don't understand why people would rather be more respectful to a 20 something woman than to one who's lived 70 plus years. It boggles my mind. Now about Barack.... I don't mind him, at the (same time,) I think it's great that there are some black people (or biracial people) who dislike him. He seems okay, but onlike the media... I'm not in Love with him lol. Just because he's half black doesn't mean a person should love him solely based on that fact. I know people who voted for him simply because of that. Even Martin Luther King Jr. said.... "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." I think it's ironic that now a days... (some people) are still judged solely on the "color of their skin." I have met people who said that they only voted for Barack because of his ethnicity. They didn't judge him based on anything else. As for myself, I'm not black (but) I'm multi-ethnic and female... and was once offered a job solely because I was mixed and a woman... and not on the "content of my character." Also.... random.... but people are so "PC" now a days. You can't speak your mind without someone threatening you or sueing you lol. I bet there's more "Non-PC" people in America than there are "PC" people. :P It only doesn't Seem LIke it because of the biased media. : )

2050 days ago

Nostradamus

That response tells you about the level of mentality on the so called "president Obama": he takes everything personal.........from Rush Limbaugh to Etta James.

He does not know how to be president

It also shows the remorse he and his wife feel towards this country

You just don't get to that kind of level when you are this country's commander in chief, specially when you have bigger problems to worry about............

2050 days ago

Nostradamus

40. Barack the Magic Fraud.............He has only just begun...... & is barely affloat. His sycophants will not be aware of this....... blind followers .......... they will be affronted by what I am saying. Ignorance is a shame. I will sit back & watch. Will I feel pity for those that he will let down. Not at all. They had a choice.they voted for failure. You & I both know why he will fail....Money talks.

Posted at 3:57PM on Feb 7th 2009 by John

right on john!

The law of physics says: "what comes up, must come down", but of course, most liberals wouldn't understand it, they never made it past the third grade

2050 days ago

gary

Ha!! What a big dam joke the liberals are!!! Jay - z and his "crew" acting like a bunch of punk's on the streets who got invited to the "big house on the hill" at a Obama sanctioned event by masking a bunch of outright crude meanings towars Pres.Bush as well as other thing's! I believe he said..."No mo' WHITE lies from bush,...cause my presdent is a BLACK man!!"
Does that mean that NOW,..the lies are gonna be....BIG BLACK LIES???????!!!!!!!! I just cant wait to see the look on ALL Hollywoods face when ..four years from now....It will be Obama stepping on the helicopter waiving a meager "Goodbye!" I cant freaking wait!!!

2050 days ago

c300e517

"At Last" is Etta's song and she is right in saying Beyonce had no business singing it at the Inaugural Ball. If the Obamas wanted that song to dance their "inaugural dance" to then Etta should have been invited to sing it. Beyonce should have been relegated to the background (where she belongs) and she could have sung one of her songs for the partygoers.

2050 days ago

c300e517

Let's all hope and pray this is is a one term president. God help this country for the next 4 years. I hope we can survive.

2050 days ago

herbie Drye

If Etta James had some class & knew how to conduct herself like a lady, She herself would have been asked to sing at the inaugural Ball, but it seems that in 70 something years of living , she has learned NOTHING about being classy or having manners!, she is a great singer but a washed up human being, for a 70 something year old to pick on a young woman old enough to be her grand daughter is pitiful at the least!, she should be ashamed of herself! and to disrespect our president is blasphemous as well, he has done nothing to be dissed like that.... also the last time i checked Etta James didn't write that song anyway!! and even if she did, the remake or "cover" of a body of musical works is the highest form of flattery and quite frankly the name of the game $$$, (ask a music a Publisher), i bet Stevie Wonder wouldn't be mad if someone sang one of his hundreds of beautiful songs!... Etta James Grow up, i have every record you ever recorded and i'm throwing them All in the trash be be with your foul nasty mouth. you are the could of been DIVA that never could be cause you wont clean your act up!!

2049 days ago