Obamas "Stunned" by Etta Slam

2/6/2009 2:15 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Etta JamesBeyonce might be mum on Etta James' wacko verbal slap, but Barack and Michelle Obama, apparently, were taken more than a little aback.

A White House insider tells the Chicago Sun-Times the First Couple was "stunned" by James' remarks. "It never crossed anyone's mind that there was anything inappropriate about Beyonce singing that song," admitted the source. Worse yet, "I'm sure some of the younger people involved didn't even know she is alive!"

Etta said yesterday it was all a big joke. Hilarious.

GypsyGirlLA

#1: Beyonce could only HOPE that she could sing that song as 1/10th as well as Ms. James. Beyonce is SO overrated. Please, the girl is not one og the greats that should go by only one name. #2 (and MOST important) Is Barack The Fraud JOKING or is he a joke? Mr. Obama has not only brought hope to Americans but to the WHOLE world-those of us who care and are smart enough to know better, anyways. Bush was the joke and the fraud and as far as corruption goes, Cheney and Halliburton anyone???

2081 days ago

rapitt2

I have to agree that Etta should not have berated Beyonce. Etta does that song SO much better and I am sure she felt hurt she was not asked. Well, it's like water under the bridge now. And I am sure Etta is sorry beyonce sorry......One thing that movie did, was draw my attention to Etta James. I had never heard of her. I have bought several CD's since and plan on buying more. Her songs are astounding!
Now to the Barack's dancing to Etta's song........so elegant and so serene for us as American's to witness a black man and black woman in our White House. What a fitting song for their dance too! I watched the whole inauguration. Yes, my reply to the previous writer.......we are all in amazement at this man's desire to change the awful things the Bush regime did. We now all have a chance. And in case you want to know. I voted for Barack and I am a white norwegian. To be honest, I have not prayed for a president before. I have prayed for this one.

2081 days ago

JimmyTheFoxx

Etta is right-Beyonce needs her ass whupped. I can't stand her either!

2081 days ago

Kristina P.

Okay do you guys realize that Etta was NOT the first person to sing this song!!!! she ripped it off from someone else. Not that i am saying Beyonce did anything wrong but if beyonce is wrong Etta is even worse!!! Its irritating that she is so high and mighty I live near seattle and i really REALLY dont want the double talking self centered brat to come back!! For that matter anyone who participated in her rant should really not be sheep. Know the facts before you side with anyone!!!!!!!

2081 days ago

Jasmine

lol I did not even no who Etta James was until Beyonce' brought her back to life. lol lol

2077 days ago

Angela

I think that there, obviously, was some jealously on Etta's part and there should have been better verbal exchanges between the two, because using language as vulgar as she did in, my opinion, wasn't indicative of a joke. I believe what happened was that the information traveled futher than Etta wanted it to so she decided to say it was a joke, to save face.

2075 days ago