« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Subway

Won't Throw Phelps

Back in Water

2/7/2009 2:25 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael PhelpsEveryone knows the first rule of marketing is to know your audience -- the kind of audience that orders two foot longs and a bag of chips a little past 4:20 each day.

Either way, Subway has decided not to ditch Michael Phelps following his incident with the device that's generally sold "for tobacco use only."

Subway says "Like most Americans, and like Michael Phelps himself, we were disappointed in his behavior. Also like most Americans, we accept his apology. Moving forward, he remains in our plans."

At least Michael knows where he can get his next meal, even if it isn't a bowl of Kellogg's cereal.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

texwife

Subway has just lost my business! Last time I checked pot is still illegal.

nick

So Frane. Ya know oral sex and tattoos are still illegal in certain states. I guess you've got a problem with that too. Can't you come up with a better reason for infringing on peoples personal freedoms.

filmguy

Headline: "Subway Won't Throw Phelps Back in Water"

Response: "Subway Threw Our Business Out the Window"

Moi

Always loved Subway!, now love them even more!!! I don't indulge in pot smoking but I'm not against it either! I have a handicapped daughter that has it prescribed to her by a physician to reduce her extreme pain!! So what!, if MP had a hit! He's still an 8 medal gold winner!,... And you get get those Stoned!!!

Moi

oops,... meant 8 gold medal winner and you don't get those medals stoned!!

shnjohns

. so he was caught smoking marijuana...big deal! its just weed for crying out loud, now if he was smoking crack that would be a whole different ball game. Lots of people smoke marijuana, its harmless..all of those anti marijuana commercials they always show are false, it can't kill you, funny how they never show anti drug commercials for drugs that really can kill people like heroin, cocaine, or meth, I don't even consider weed a "drug" people really need to stop being up and arms about something that really isn't a big deal, who cares if he was hitting a bong? its not like he was using steroids, damn people there are a lot of other things in this world people should be worrying about.

Posted at 11:36AM on Feb 7th 2009 by Jay

This guy has been seen smoking pot, BIG DEAL Kate Moss was doing coke and was able to keep all of her ads., Stop putting this REAL GUY ON SOME KIND OF THROWN HE IS A PERSON JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. AND YOU KNOW WHAT EVERYONE IS ALLOWED ONE MISTAKE IN THEIR TIME OF FAME SO F-N LOOSEN UP AND GET OVER IT. I SUPPORT HIM ALL THE WAY

shnjohns

62. oops,... meant 8 gold medal winner and you don't get those medals stoned!!

THANK YOU.

tickles

Michael Phelps is a role model to many due to the fact he won 8 gold medals in a single Olympics. Michael Phelps is a role model because he is a world class swimmer who has worked extremely hard for 10 yrs. to become the fastest swimmer in the world. Michael Phelps is a role model because when he was a child he realized he would have to work harder, train harder and focus on his goals in order to achieve them. That is the behavior I want my child to emulate.
When my child has questions about drugs I (as a responsible parent) will sit down with my child and talk things over with him and teach him about the dangers of drug use and alcohol. I never expected Michael to be perfect and I certainly was not expecting him to be held to a higher standard than the fornmer president of the United States.
I admire Michael Phelps...he made a mistake and he has admitted it. For the record...he wasn't caught doing anything...a picture was taken of him apparently smoking a bong. He could have denied it...but he stepped up and has taken responsibility for it. Anyone with sense realizes that there is no way that Michael is a pot head. During the Olympics and through all of his training for the Olympics he passed every single drug test. He even volunteerd for more intensive drug testing done by the OIC and passed with flying colors.

Miztah_J7

Man made beer, God made weed. Who do you trust?

kb

Obama smoked pot. he is the president. The last two presidents smoked pot. Are we going to impeach the president? Hell, most of you voted for Obama. Now you cant say smoking weed is for losers. LoL!

nick

Geez, I wish I had some good bud right now. Oh well, I guess I'll just go to Subway instead. They seem like cool understanding folks. Don't they?

I Remove Heads From Asses

everyone did something stupid they didnt wish they did..remember college to all you people who are calling him a pot head. He won 8 Gold Medals for the U.S. even though he is a pot head, think about that before you persecute him. He didnt kill anyone driving drunk he probably took a long nap after this...

filmguy

"Man made beer, God made weed."

Yes, and God also made hemlock...

Masked Poster

And another gathering round of dopeheads and weedheads and bongheads and stoned heads coming to support this guy--anonymously, of course... Users, users, users, and users, all with hilarious, childish rants about drugs use. What a country!

Dan

Personally, I dont smoke pot but I think everyone is overracting to the situation.
and the LAST thing it would be is a performance enhancing drug...worry abou THOSE with atheletes, even if it wasn't against the rules at the time...should still be an asterick..

1996 days ago