« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

8 People, 1 Bong Arrested Over Phelps Pot Pic

2/10/2009 2:10 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael PhelpsOVERKILL - noun - 1) the amount by which destruction or the capacity for destruction exceeds what is necessary. 2) excessive treatment or action; too much of something.

Eight people connected to that infamous Columbia, SC pot party where Michael Phelps was photographed taking a bong rip back in November have now been arrested by the Richland County Sheriff's Department -- seven for possession and one for dealing.

Included in Sheriff Leon Lott's arrest extravaganza: The suspected owner of the bong -- who wasn't even at the party -- but was allegedly trying to sell the bong on eBay for $100,000, according to WIS.

The bong is reportedly not responding well to Lott's questioning -- and is blaming it on a loss of short-term memory.

Don't worry -- Phelps is still a free man.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Lucy

the idiot that put the infamous bong on ebay for money was justifibly arrested

stabby

He told on everyone else so he wouldnt get arrested. Duh. They have proof that he was smoking because there is pictures and he was not arrested. That is why... he NARCED!

jay

Kim, you're obviously one stupid bitch. Kindly throw yourself into a wood chipper head first.

riley

I lived in Columbia, SC for a couple of years and that collection of red-neck eunuchs that passes for a police department had to practically be walked to any "crime" they didn't make up themselves. I lived in fear of those bible-thumping bumpkins the whole time I was there and I never so much as double-parked! Common sense doesn't exist in SC. If Michael Phelps doesn't want to end up in jail, I suggest he never go back there.

Laura

I live in SC and I have to say "welcome to South Carolina!"
The first thing they ask you here is Where do you go to church? If you don't give the "correct" answer they immediately want to try and save you.
I'm not a drug user and I don't agree with it, but come on! No wonder SC is so deep in debt they can't pay unemployment benefits to people who need it! We're paying for potheads to sit in jail getting 3 meals a day! The food should go to the hungry families that are loosing jobs and homes! !

riley

SCgirl, the Where do you go to church? question is SO TRUE! I was told I'd be going to Hell just about every week. Horrible place. You have my condolences. I hope you're able to leave soon. ;-)

Laura

I actually like it here. I wouldn't live anywhere else. I've come up with a lot of good answers to the questions. They look at me like I have 3 eyes or something.
I guess you get used to it after a while. I just don't understand how the good 'ole boys in the police departments in all of SC can get away with some of the stuff they do! The spending is outrageous and the jails are always overcrowded. Where does the money go?
Sherriff Lott should be ashamed of himself!

KM

What about all the Stars w/ cocaine pictures/vids???? No one arrested there.

Dave

They will all ask for a jury trial and IF the charges don't get thrown out , no jury will convict them and the sherriff will look like an idiot for wasting the countys money. This kind of thing is what gives cops a bad name.

craig

First of all, not a druggie - never have been - never will be. That said, someone needs to explain just why it was wrong of this guy to try to sell the bong on ebay. Since I don't smoke pot, and it might have some sort of collectable value, if such a item came into my possession I too would try to make some money off it. It called capitalism and now he pays a price for this? Unless its illegal to pedal drug parafernalia on ebay, all these people calling him stupid are quite stupid.

lyn

The problem with Sheriff Lott is he loves to see his name in the spotlight and will do whatever he can to get media attention. Most of the people in Columbia agree it's a waste of taxpayer's money, but he his still hell-bent on bringing this case up. We have a string of ATM robberies and plenty of other crimes we need to worry about BEFORE worrying about a few pot-smoking college kids. Heck, the crime happened in the City of Columbia limits, yet the City cops aren't wasting their time with it, so why is he?? argh..

Ben

Seriously, WTF. way to make the tax payers pay for a publicity stunt. I'm all for decriminalization of Pot. Just imagine the money we could save for not having to pay for these people to be cared for in jail.

ROORBONG

THE BONG IS THE BRAND ROOR, THAT PARTICULAR BONG WAS ONLY SHIPPED FOR SALE IN EUROPE. UNLESS SOMEONE BROUGHT IT BACK UNUSED I THINK THE PICTURE WAS TAKEN SOMEWHERE IN EUROPE. THEY DO NOT SELL THAT MODEL IN THE US AT ALL. THE WHOLE THING IS B.S. TRYING TO MAKE SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING...TO QUOTE A GREAT "ATHLETES ARE NOT ROLE MODELS, PARENTS ARE". LEAVE HIM ALON,E WHAT HE DOES ON HIS OFF TIME IS NOBODYS BUISNESS..WHY DONT LAW ENFORCEMENT LOOK AT MYSPACE AND ALL THE KIDS POSTING THERE POT PARTIES FROM THE WEEKEND BEFORE? BUST THEM..OR DO WE WANT TO JUST GO AFTER PUBLIC FIQURES AND RUIN THERE LIVES?? MICHEAL...CHOOSE WHO YOU HANG OUT WITH CAREFULLY AND COLLECT ALL CELL PHONES WHILE DOING SO...

AQ

Um, why hasn't Phelps been arrested too? There is obvious evidence. Oh, wait, that's right - because he's a celebrity.

el polacko

if phelps had got stinking drunk that would have been just fine... but a hit of weed and suddenly it's 1930's reefer madness again. will this country EVER grow up ?!?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments