Salma Hayek

Got Breast Milk?

2/11/2009 1:07 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Salma did her duty for a malnourished baby in Sierra Leone!

0211_hayek_youtube_video-1
The line forms to the left.

Kayan Phoenix

i don't know why people have a problem with breastfeeding .. its healthy to breastfeed up to the age of 2 .. my son was in the NICU when he was born when i was able to take him home they found some of my milk i had pumped for him when he was in there i just donated it .. I glad Selma is helping .. it'll help the baby!!

K

I think I'm going to throw up.

Sharona

And what about me......I'm starving!

misty1415

I'm all for helping starving babies, but instead of actually breastfeeding someone else's baby, why couldn't she just pump it and feed the baby through a bottle? Then she could have pumped more and left the baby with a couple of days worth. I do think there's something odd about another baby sucking on someone else's mom. Pumping it and bottle feeding seems to make more sense to me.

sarat

This is so disgusting!!!!. She is such a f@#king fame whore, f$%ked up crazy bi$%h. She could 've paid for a wet nurse who would have fed the baby without asking for a whole fleet of cameras to snap away while she pretended to be mother teresa. Or she could've paid for formula milk.Or if she REALLY cared,she could've adopted the baby. Scr#@ed up bi$%h, acting all noble and stuff.

kelkel

I can't believe how stupid, ignorant, and immature people are. Salma did an incredibly selfless thing. Obviously these people have had limited HIV education and have never breastfed. I was shocked to discover how crucial even a tiny amount of breast milk is to an under developed baby. I wish I could have done the same thing.

Dr. Adams

toofastforyou!
___________
There is a prize waiting for you at TMZ headquarters
....(toofastforyou!).....But you must be at our office no later than
2/15/09 3:00pm EST. to claim it.. $15,000.00
Please be advised you must have proof of ID with you in order to
claim your prize, and proof of being first to post
20 times.

lis

Salma Hayek is kinda really stupid...If she knew one thing about breast milk, she would know that the composition of your milk changes as you are post pardon
IE
your breast milk when you are 1 week post pardon, compared to 1 year (as she is) is completely different.
So she may have made a point that she loves to breast feed..
she really didnt do much for the baby.

stacy

Good for her....that is a true gift to that poor little baby. There is nothing icky about sharing your milk as long as you are 100% disease free. Many many women were wetnurses years ago, and I think that Salma did was absolutely generous and thoughtful. I would have done the same thing if I were there in her shoes.

stacy

#66....do you really think they have adequate sterilization of bottles there, as well as adequate refrigeration/freezers? PLEASE...think before you post. She is in the middle of Sierra Leone. There wouldn't be ANY of that there. Plus, babies can get WAY more from nursing from the breast than a pump can get.

Dave

I'd be sucking on those cans too!

Crystal

Shame on you TMZ for giving this a negative light. There is nothing wrong with breastfeeding another child. Salma Hayek was setting an example for other women in Sierra Lione that it is not dirty or disgusting to breastfeed. Formula is not an acceptable substitute for breast milk in a third world country. There are way too many cases of formula contamination because of the water. All this can be avoided if more people in Sierra Lione breastfed. What Salma Hayek did was amazing. There is also NOTHING wrong with her still breastfeeding her child. They're ONE for christ's sake. The american academy of pediatrics recommends breastfeeding for AT LEAST one year. The world health organization recommends breastfeeding for at least TWO years.

I agree completely with a lot of the other posters above, especially #69.

TMZ, you really should do more research on the subject before dismissing it as disgusting. You suck.

Partially Pregnant

43. I have to say i do find it strange too. It reminds me of that movie ?? where the nanny starts doing it. I don't know about passing things back and forth I'm sure she knew everything before she did it, I'm sure she wouldn't risk herself or her child. I'd be worried but it must be safe, about the smoking thing if that is true is sad to be passing to the babies. And it being filmed is a bit strange but she was trying to do a good thing.

Posted at 2:14PM on Feb 11th 2009 by Slagathor

I believe the movie you are talking about is "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle." with Rebecca DeMornay.

DeeMama

Guess what? All you folks that think it is strange to give breastmilk to a baby that is not your own: hospitals do it in the USA. A preemie who is breastfed has a much greater chance of survival than a formula fed preemie and there is a BREASTMILK BANK for just that reason.
I read some of the comments above and there is a lot of ignorance about formula and breastmilk being comparable. THEY ARE NOT!!!! And TMZ you are only adding to the problem. Babies in third world countries have died due to formula feeding: Formula is expensive and in impoverished countries parents may dilute or over water the formula trying to make it last longer (this will cause a baby to be malnurished or even starve), they may also be using dirty water which can carry more diseases or bacterias that can cause problems such as diarea (possibly fatal to an infant in a third world country) . In a place where parents have to choose between letting their child starve or give them water that can kill them, I think that Salma Hayek's gift was received by the baby and his family as just that, a wonderful gift. And all your jokes can't take away how signiificant that gift was. Way to go Salma!

The World Health Organization lists the possible food sources for babies in the following order:
1. Breastfeeding from mother
2. Pumping and feeding the mother's breastmilk to the baby
3. Donated breastmilk from another mother
4. Formula

Formula is FOURTH!!!! SHAME! SHAME! SHAME on you TMZ!!! Breastmilk and formula are not the same.

I will stop scolding you now :-)

P.S. TMZ: If you are going to appologize to a freekin' Koala then you better set the record straIght about the difference between breastmilk and formula and appologize to Ms. Hayek.

P.S.S. I am sure there are typos in this comment as I typed it with one hand while breastfeeding my own little one.

EEWWWW!!!!!

why doesnt she teach those people about birth control?? i am so tired of hearing about all of these poor people and starving children around the world.....perhaps if the would abstain from sex or only have children they can take care of then they would not be in the very sad situation that they themselves have created......besides who would feel like having sex when you live in such poor conditions?