Salma Hayek

Got Breast Milk?

2/11/2009 1:07 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Salma did her duty for a malnourished baby in Sierra Leone!

0211_hayek_youtube_video-1
The line forms to the left.

DeeMama

To EWW,(#30)
YOU ARE SO WRONG!!!!!!!! TO ASK A MOTHER TO COVER UP WHILEBREASTD=FEEDING? GET OVER IT! I BET YOU CAN GO BY A BILLBOARD OF AWOMAN MODELLNG IN SEXY UNDERWEAR AND NOT EVEN FLINCH, BUT YOU SEE AWOMAN USING HER BREASTS FOR WHAT THEY WERE MADE FOR AND YOU HAVE APROBLEM. NEXT TIME YOU SEE A BREASTFEEDING MOTHER IN THE OPEN GOSTICK YOUR OWN HEAD UNDER A BLANKET. P.S. I'M BREAST FEEDING MY OWN CHILD RIGHT NOW :-P

Mr. Chow

I'll take some Salamalac any day!

Sarah E

Yet again, the ignorance of Americans astounds me. First of all, the likelyhood of getting AIDS from a baby nursing on you, outrageous! Selma is obviously well off, I think she knows about how to care for herself, so for people to bring up the idea that she may transmit something to the baby, ridiculous!
One thing that was stated on the tv show tonight, that really disturbed me, was the mention of formula. Back in the 70s, there was a huge controversy over the fact that the Nestle Corporation gave formula to people in Africa- people who didn't have clean water to mix the formula in. Babies died as a result. Why would things like that be different now? To suggest that people who can't afford foor give their babies formula is ridiculous.
Honestly, I did not read every comment posted here. So I can only address a few. No, one time nursing is not going to save the child's life. But those little bit of immunities given to the child will help. There is nothing gross about the act of nursing a child. Even here in America, there is a history of wet-nursing. Within this country, there are protocols that people usually follow to make sure everything is safe for the child. But when you are staring into the eyes of a hungry baby, and you have the means to feed it, why not do so? As I said before, I'm sure she knows the state of her own health. I do not think this was just a publicity stunt. Although she did admit that part of her reasoning is that she wants to erase the stigma against nursing in Sierra Leone.
World Wide, the average age for weaning a child is 5 years old. This is because of the number of countries that do not have clean water or adequate food supplies. It is the only way for some women to keep their children alive. Interestingly, I believe that they also have lower rates of breast cancer (breastfeeding lowers a woman's risk). Just because American culture has told us, inaccurately, that women's breasts are for men's enjoyment and nothing else, that formula is better (disproved over and over again), and that women can't work and nurse their children.... doesn't mean that our culture is right.
TMZ- the next time you want to do any stories related to breastfeeding, check your information. Read up on what La Leche League International has to say about it.

LongJohn69

Anytime she wants to whip out her boobs is fine with me.

Erica

If I had a baby and if some lady breastfed my kid, I would seriously kill her. Why not give that baby some formula?

ckat

sick

del

She would have done the baby a bigger service by giving its caregivers all the formula that could have fit in her giant, Gucci bag, or selling the photos of this scene to the media, then donating the money to the care of that child. She could support 60 orphans on what she spends on shoes in a year. How much cash does she give vs. using a starving child for a photo op to boost your career? The child did more for her than she did for the child in this case.

Draka

I can't believe this crud. The woman gives the one thing the baby needs most in life and all anyone can do is comment about her breasts? She's being filmed because of who she is, but she did what she did out of kindness, not for a publicity stunt. TMZ, you, and many other people here, are just flat out in the wrong. Breast milk is absolutely the best thing for a baby. Any baby. Especially a baby who is malnourished. AND even if the baby had AIDS it's not like there's any chance of her getting it from the baby. My goodness people...educate yourselves. Shameful, just shameful.

Pistol

That is an incredibly classy and sweet thing to do.

SalmaFan

The ignorance expressed here is amazing. Can someone who believes you can get AIDS from breastfeeding provide a link proving this assertion? Of course you can't. Breastfeeding is natural, and there is no need to cover up. Those that think that it should be hidden are themselves guilty of turning women's breasts into sex objects. If you think breastfeeding is dirty, why is that? Because you have issues yourself. Get over it.

Here is a link to the National Institutes of Health page on breastfeeding: http://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/Breastfeeding.cfm

Educate yourselves.

SalmaFan

Oh, and the reason providing formula in these countries doesn't help is that fresh water is so scarce that it would be difficult if not impossible to sanitize bottles or even make formula with it. It's simply not practical.

Ditto

I cannot believe the ignorance of not only the people of TMZ, but the idiots who have replied thus far. Breastfeeding is NOT obscene or disgusting. To tell her to instead offer formula would make these children worse off. That is what formula companies like Nestle are already doing. They tell women in these 3rd world countries that westernized women formula feed and it is best for their baby, and then they give them just enough samples so their milk dries up and then they have to buy their own, and guess what, they can't afford it! And ieven if they could afford some, they end up using unsanitary water and water it down so it will last longer, and this is fatal to the baby. You people seriously need to educate yourselves before you open up your fat mouths and spout trash you don't even know about! Breastfeeding is normal. Breasts were made to nourish children, and the WHO suggest at least 2 years of doing so. Contrary to popular belief, God did not bless women with breasts so men can get their kicks. Grow up people! Excuse me while I nurse my child.

Bob

Most of these comments illustrate the ignorant and piggish attitudes of many of your viewers, and the story you broadcast did the same for your shallow, snarky, celebrity-wannabe staff. If anyone bothered to view this story on Nightline or any place (other than TMZ) that it was covered, they would realize that Ms. Hayek was trying to set an example for the women from that culture, where the infant mortality rate is the highest in the world, primarily because of malnutrition associated with the stigma attached to breastfeeding. Those piggish men will not have sex with a woman who are nursing, so they pressure the women not to breastfeed their children. People should also learn about the negligible risks of women contracting HIV from a breastfeeding child. I usually view TMZ just as an entertainment-only program, but you made an egregious mistake with your coverage of this story. If you're going to apologize, even jokingly and half-heartedly for the koala debacle, you should at least do the same here. I'm as fond of breasts as almost any man, and think Salma is terribly beautiful and sexy. Her mission in Sierra Leone makes her even more attractive to me. Shame on all of you!

2080 days ago

af001

God bless her, i say she is one brave lady.

2080 days ago

Mommato3babiesUT

I think what she did was just incredible! Being able to nurse a child is such a beautiful experience and she helped save another little one. Wow! I don't see how people can look at her chest, when what she did was so natural.... She is a beautiful woman and this just shows how truely amazing women as a whole are Famous or Not.

2080 days ago