Text Message Ignites Rihanna/Brown Violence

2/11/2009 1:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Chris Brown & RihannaLaw enforcement sources confirm to TMZ Chris Brown received a text message from a woman while he was driving with Rihanna and that's what started the confrontation that left Rihanna battered and bruised.

We're told the text message was from a woman who wrote about hooking up with Brown later.

We've also learned there is a reference in the police report to an argument over a rapper, but we've learned this is NOT what triggered the argument. The woman who text messaged Brown is not a rapper. The NY Daily News first reported the text message.

As for Rihanna's injuries, we continue to learn more. Cops took multiple pictures at the scene. Chris Brown allegedly hit Rihanna so hard with his fists, she could barely open her eyes for the photos -- they were almost completely swollen shut. She had a fat lip, her mouth was swollen, her nose was badly bloodied, and she had contusions on her forehead and both sides of her face.

Chris brown: Click to watchAnd check this contrast out (video on right) -- Chris Brown singing a song about reading street signs with Elmo on "Sesame Street."

tia

it is 2 sides 2 a story... so before everybody say something about Chris they should see if she put her hands on him..

kiki

I really liked Chris Brown (key word LIKED) and altho i've liked a couple of her songs i've never liked Rihanna b/c i think she uses her looks & sex appeal to accelerate her career but she does not deserve what he did to her my aunt is in an abusive relationship and as soon as i read how this wasnt the first time he hit her i was thinking Rihanna get out of there and stay away b/c i remember the first time my uncle hit my aunt it was a "mistake" he was "sorry" he "regretted it and would never do it again" do any of these sound familiar? sounds to me like the same type of thing chris brown uttered unfortunately for my aunt she stayed but what Rihanna can do and take out of this awful situation is talk about it let alot of young girls know that abuse is not good its not "love" maybe since alot of girls look up to her maybe she can do something to help all the women who get battered like this every year and every DAY but never get their story told b/c they're not a "celebrity"

Ladydayo

On one hand I feel really bad for the both of them in this situation, and on the other I think Chris Brown is getting too much heat for this. We are only hearing one side of this and that is that he beat her very badly, when their are three sides to every story (his side, her side, and the truth). I believe there is a lot more to the story that is not being said. I mean what really happened that day? In the case of domestic violence there is a serious double standard. If Chris Brown had any injuries, or if he had sustained injuries worse than Rhianna's would this even be an issue. How many times has she slapped, kicked, bitten, or punched him. I am not saying it is right that he put his hands on her at all, but if this had been him with serious injuries we would have been saying good he probably deserved it. As a mother of a 10 year old son I teach my son that it is not OK to hit women, but on the other hand is he just supposed to sit back and let any girl, wife, girlfriend just continuously beat the hell out of him without defending, because some women are really taking it to a whole other level with hitting their men. This is one of those things that makes me go hhhhmmmmm!!!

curious

Was there a car accident?

iamajewwell

I am very happy that TMZ posted this picture of Rihanna.

It shows the pure reality of what can happen in an abusive relationship. I understand that Rihanna may want her personal life kept quiet, but to do so now on such an important matter is crazy.

Rihanna, you were the victim, you have nothing to fel sorry for, your fans still love you and I am sure that if steer clear of your attacker you will gain a legence of new fans as well including those of us against domestic violence. Though it is a very sad reality, it is just that, reality. Abuse to women occurs on average once every 6 seconds, somewhere in our country.

Do not stay in the cycle. I'm sure he's sorry and all of that, but it's just not worth it. Staying in an abusive relationship only has two possible conclusions; waking up nowing you'll be be walking on egg shells everyday waiting for him to blow up and hit you, or not waking up at all. Your lucky girl.....walk away and don't look back, there are better men and you deserve better.

iamajewwell

OMG!!!! They are not 5 year olds, it dosen't matter who started the fight!!!! YOU DON'T HIT.

Denise

Am i the only woman that feels there are two sides to every story? I am not saying its not wrong what Chris Brown did but just cause she is full of bruises does not make her innocent. Everyone wants to boycoott him because it seems right but its not. The only thing this proves is that he is a human bean who made a mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just cant believe everyone is making her out to be some kind of queen and poor troubled battered woman. A man who hits a woman does not go from 0 to 60 in a minute he works his way up to that abuse and she stuck around to get it.

LUIS

WE ALL KNOW THOSE ARE A BUNCH OF LIES ABOUT CHRIS BROWN HE COULDNT HURT A SOUL... SHE JUST GOT JEALOUS AND FLIPPED OUT AND HE WAS PROTECTING HIMSELF... HOW COME THEY DONT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT HER AND HER HITTING HIM... THOSE PHOTOS ARE FAKE.... AND IT GETS OLD HOW JEALOUS GIRLS WANT THERE MEN TO FALL CAUSE THEY HAVE IT BETTER THEN THEM.. SO QUIT QITH ALL THE LIES AND LEAVE CHRIS BROWN ALONE......LET HIM DO THERE LIFE CAUSE YOU KNOW WHEN THIS BULL IS ALL OVER THEY WILL BNE RIGHT BACK TOGETHER.....SO EVERYONE GET OVER IT....

makayla

i hate cris brown i cant believe he beat her b/c he acussed her of cheating i hope he stays in jail 4 a long time i knew they shouldent have got back together io hate him im so sorry for what he did to you rihannah just live ur life

just me

This little punk could noit have kicked my ass. Rhinna should have fought back. She can whip that little bitch!!!!

2035 days ago

real men don't hit women!

LUIS, you are an idiot! You probably have a man crush on Chris Brown and that is why you are saying all of this. You are just jealous that she WAS with him and you weren't. The picture came from the police so it is NOT fake. You are probably the dumbest person on the face of the earth!!

AllisonDiana

EmJ - I'm Bajan, just like Rihanna and you know what? Many of us can have sharp tongues but it's never an excuse to beat someone up , man or woman. He needs to control himself and if he's not man enough to do that then yes, he deserves for his career to suffer. He's a complete jacka**. It's obvious that you don't have any sisters because if you did you wouldn't be saying this. And if you do, I feel for them. How would you like it if this were happening with your mother or one of your loved ones? It's completely unacceptable and cruel, not to mention pathetic.

And Melina, stop posting! If I see your comment one more time....

DeeRich

This has to be some kind of setup for a big April fools joke.....

Natasha

There is no excuse for his behavior. You don't hit a woman and the worst thing about it is that this little ass thinks he is so hot that he shouldn't get question for his stepping out on her and decides to discpline her for speaking. Ha Ha Ha thats not cool or funny and now he is sorry? I would be sorry to if I faced jail time and the world knew I abused woman. Yeah he is sorry a sorry excuse for a man. He could have just let her go, I would even say he could have stopped the car and got out walking on her, but to beat this woman as if she was some kind of punching bag, it dosen't matter if she was beautiful or ugly to be a man and have that type of rage in you to beat a woman like that is just wrong. He needs to pray that God will take that rage out of him. And this girl she needs to walk away take a break because she will never forget this everytime she sleeps everything she does she will remember what he did and this will effect her deeply. I survived Domestic Violence just barley and thats something you will never forget. God Bless You Girl, I know its hard! And to Mr.Chris Brown I hope someone catches you in a dark alley and beats you until you can't see then you will see how it feels.

Rich

Jesus can't help Chris Brown. He needs to be taken out back behind the shed and get kicked in the sack until he can't walk.
AND...anyone who still listens to his music needs mental help.