Weakness in Chris Brown Case -- Prior Attacks

2/12/2009 4:28 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Chris Brown , RihannaChris Brown may have gotten lucky because the charge he was booked on is kinda weak, law enforcement sources tell TMZ. But he's still in big trouble, and Rihanna says it's not the first time he's attacked her.

Sources say the Los Angeles County District Attorney kicked the case back to the police for further investigation because evidence that he made criminal threats against Rihanna is kind of thin. Our sources are quick to say he will, however, almost certainly be charged with felony domestic battery, a lesser offense but still serious.

Here's how it went down, according to the police report. After Chris received a text message from a woman who wrote about getting together, an argument erupted. By the way, initially, Rihanna would not tell cops what started the argument.

She did, however, tell them that during the argument, he started hitting her. According to the police report, she ordered him to drive her home and "faked a call" to someone, saying things like, "He's dropping me off. Make sure the cops are there."

Rihanna told cops the fake call enraged Brown. He said something to the effect of "You are really fu**ed up now. I'm going to kill you." This statement is the basis of the criminal threats charge.

At that point, according to the report, Brown allegedly began a violent attack with his fists. At some point, Rihanna took the keys out of the ignition and threw them outside.

And there's this. According to the police report, she told cops this was not the first time Brown hit her. She referred to it as an ongoing and escalating abusive relationship.

We're told the criminal threats charge is based on that one statement Brown allegedly made. As one law enforcement source told us, "It's kinda weak, and the D.A. is not going to prosecute a high profile case like this unless it's solid." That's why it was kicked back for further investigation.

Given the brutal nature of the attack, which the photos clearly show -- contusions on the face, swollen eyes, cut lip, bloody nose, bite marks on fingers and arm -- a felony domestic battery charge is virtually a done deal. That, however, is a less serious offense than making criminal threats.

Shy

i think there needs to be more research done. How is it that they are arguing and he just starts beating her? It says at some point she takes the keys and throws them. We're assuming she stays. Why doesn't she run? Why would she throw the keys,if he was supposed to be dropping her off. I'm not standing by the "assault," but don't report a story, that just doesn't sound right. There are some important details missing.

wuht.a.bxtchh

Wow.. Chris has reallyyy fxckedd upp . he said that Rihanna did.???? ohh hell nahh , that boy is definitelyy done.!! Chris deservesz wuhteverr he qehtts , seriouslyy . I meann , itsz alriqhtt for someone to qehtt madd .. buht once the violence startsz happeninqq ; thatsz the que to stepp outt of the relationshipp . i mean i kno im younqq , buht i suree as hell kno wuht im talkinn about (:

.FEE*FEE

ALRIGHT ALL READY SO WHAT HE HIT HER .. IF SHE DID`NT WALK HER BUT AWAY FROM HIM THE VERY FIRST TIME HE HIT HER THEN SHE MUST LIKE TO BE HIT BY HIM.. EVERYONE IS SO QUICK TO JUMP ON HER SIDE HOW YALL DON`T KNOW IF SHE HIT HIM FIRST . SHE COULD HAVE HIT HIM IN HIS NUTS OR SOMETHING

Price

They're just people and just as F'd up as the rest of the fools that we walk by everyday. He needs to get the same time as they give all the broke muthafucca's and maybe he'll slow down after he get's his azz dug into by one of his cellies. I could give a sh*t what they say he went thru as a child because all he's doing is allowing those troubles to bring more problems in his life. Man up, and one day he'll realize that no one is worth the time...regardless! He wasn't the only one with a F'd up childhood (so they say)!

Rihanna, on the other hand needs to stand besides herself and screw that so-called "love" sh*t and go find herself. If he put his hands on her before than that should have been his last time he put his hands on her. We all have choices in life and one of them is deciding which way in life is the better direction for ourselves.

Chrissy

Yea i was suprised that lil tyke Chris Brown was a woman beater...I mean he is not scary AT ALL. A shame, I liked his music, I'm sure i'll still listen to it, but now shakin my head cuz he as that label as a abuser. I won't judge him, but damn did that fool have to bite her? I know he not hungry, wit all that money i'm sure he can afford a Big mac. Plus, why didn't Rhianna just hit him with an umbrella? I have to say she looks F%$ked up...at first i was tryin give the dude a break..but that pic tells a story. I mean what can he say ..it was accident...I didn't mean to punch her a million times and then leave her unconcious but I had things to do. I mean why did he have to "turn himself in"? Did he think she was gonna lie and say Lil bow wow beat her??? Makes no sense. Wazzzup TMZ... I always wonder what the heck does the boss guy have in his cup...he always sippin somthin.

TDC

Definitely, by reading this you can tell that there is a lot of information missing from the story. I have heard so many things, like Chris Brown has been beating on her because she gave him herpes. But by reading this and looking at the photos that he has been beating and hitting her for awhile now. What I don't understand is why would he do such a thing knowing that the paparazzi and the media are always around him and Rihanna no matter where they go. I have been listening to Chris Brown's and Rihanna's music ever since they made their first single and I never thought that Chris Brown would be a woman beater. I always thought of him as a perfect gentlemen and Rihanna as a role model for little girls. But one thing I wish that doesn't happen is that Rihanna goes back to Chris. Also I don't understand why Rihanna faked a phonecall I just think that was a childish move for her to do in a serious relationship. And I also don't understand why Chris Brown would hit her for to begin with.

mho

I think that it is absolutely disgusting that there are people who are actually ignorant enough to say that ANYONE male or female deserves to be physically assaulted by another person, especially someone who has the potential to do bodily harm to their victim. We live in a country that allows individuals rights and trial by jury, so yes Mr. Brown's voice in the matter should be heard. But regardless of what he OR she has to say about the alleged events that led to this altercation, ending a disagreement or verbal argument in physical violence is NEVER acceptable.

Men, what do you do if a woman pushes your buttons? Respect yourself and the other individual involved. Turn around and walk away. You are more of a man for doing so.You will find a mate who respects you for being that noble man. Although someone's words may be hurtful, bothersome, and antagonizing, reacting with physical violence will only cause moral, legal, and ethical problems for you that will haunt you for the rest of your life. (With that said, I am not assuming that Ms. Rihanna "provoked" this assault because I was not there. I merely make this statement in response to some comments that I have read regarding women having the tendency to "ask for" someone to abuse them.)

Women, what do you do if your man pushes your buttons? Respect yourself and the other individual involved. Turn around and walk away. Staying in an emotionally, verbally, and/or physically abusive relationship will only cause you to react to your unhealthy in non-productive ways. Respect yourself first and foremost and you will find a mate that will respect you in return.

Tee in New Orleans

Ok if this is not his first time attacking her....ahh duh. Why ya'll doggin him? it takes to people to fight, if she would have left when it happened the first time, she wouldn't be posted up on TMZ. Women please wake up....DON'T STAY WITH AN ABUSIVE MAN BE IT VERBAL, OR PHYSICAL. She is too young to be going through that. She's pretty she can have anyone she wants...why him? oh I know why she loves him.

stuckey1

First of all. My prayers go out to Rihanna and Chris's families because this incident not only effects the two of them but their families. I could not imagine one of my daughter's being in an abusive relationship but this is an ongoing occurrence. The fact that they are stars justs makes it a public spectacle. It is never okay to hit anyone rather it is a man doing the hitting or a man. Obviously, his temper got the best of him and he hit her, but he just didnot hit her; he caused her emotional distress and physical markings that are visible to everyone. He has a lot of growing up to do and he is young enough to be rehabilitated. She needs to move on. People need to realize that we are outsiders looking in and none of us know these two people all we know is that they are entertainers. "You only know what people want you to know and you only see what they want you to see." If someone eles had not called the police then this altercation probably never would have come to light. Everybody deserves forgiveness,even Chris Brown. It is not fair to compare him to Ike or O.J., I don't believe that he deserves that label but that is my opinion.after all isn't that what everybody is full of concerning this incident. She's a beautiful young lady and a good entertainer and he is a cute young man who is also a good entertainer. Stop "blackballing" this young man who still has a chance to be a better person. Pray that he will get help and take responsibility for his downfalls. My heart goes out to both of them.. My daughters still love Rihanna and Chris but they are upset that Chris would hurt Rihanna

jayjay

For all you women who are so sure that Rihanna HAD to be the one that started this, you are idiots. If Chris Brown grew up in an abusive household, why are you so sure that his attack wasn't unprovoked? Common sense says that it is learned behavior. But you stupid chickenheads seem to be real short on common sense. Chris hasn't seen the need to beat any man that provoked him.

Fallon

Yes this is a crazy and horrible situation...but think about it, there are always two sides to a story. All we have to go on is speculation on what happened. We dont actually know what happened except she got beaten really bad. I cant take sides on this, all I can do is pray that everything and everyone will be okay.

driel5

fire nina, i cant believe you actually believe that as a women. its idiots like you that make men think they can beat up on us. you need to change your thinking hun b/c men want us to think its all our fault when it's not. thats how women end up dead...dont be one of them. it doesnt matter if she antagonized him or not he had no right to hit her even if she hit him first. its the womens double standard. when a guy messes wit alot of females at one time, hes a playa. but when a women does it, she a hoe. thats the guy double standard. and the women's is you cant hit us no matter what we do (unless life threatening and even then its questionable). so ya'll dumb broads feenin' over chris beater dont waste your time. im not sayin support rhianna but dont encourage brown's idiocy...........peace and love (best wishes to rhi rhi)

T-bone

CB is a poosey (mis-spelled so it will post) fart and some Bubba in prison is gonna make him hit the high notes. Squeal piggy squeal...

Aisha

ITS FUNNY HOW PEOPLE TURN ON YOU SO FAST!! Lets not be so kick to throw the man in jail, its obvious he has a real problem and needs HELP not Jail!!!!! No one but Chris and Rihanna really know waht happend and/or why, maybe people should let the court/police do there job and leave it up to a high power to judge!!

Weak Story

First - Young and Jealous

Second - It started out like any argument and someone didn't get the attention or reaction from the other party. Fist started to fly and no one is going to let you beat them down.

Third - then, I'll threat you with the Police to make you stay here with me. That failed.

Fourth - here we go fighting again.

Fifth - with maturity, both parties would have walked away.

Sixth- If someone is a abuser and you are famous and that person is famous? Why are you still with them?

Have a good weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!