Weakness in Chris Brown Case -- Prior Attacks

2/12/2009 4:28 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Chris Brown , RihannaChris Brown may have gotten lucky because the charge he was booked on is kinda weak, law enforcement sources tell TMZ. But he's still in big trouble, and Rihanna says it's not the first time he's attacked her.

Sources say the Los Angeles County District Attorney kicked the case back to the police for further investigation because evidence that he made criminal threats against Rihanna is kind of thin. Our sources are quick to say he will, however, almost certainly be charged with felony domestic battery, a lesser offense but still serious.

Here's how it went down, according to the police report. After Chris received a text message from a woman who wrote about getting together, an argument erupted. By the way, initially, Rihanna would not tell cops what started the argument.

She did, however, tell them that during the argument, he started hitting her. According to the police report, she ordered him to drive her home and "faked a call" to someone, saying things like, "He's dropping me off. Make sure the cops are there."

Rihanna told cops the fake call enraged Brown. He said something to the effect of "You are really fu**ed up now. I'm going to kill you." This statement is the basis of the criminal threats charge.

At that point, according to the report, Brown allegedly began a violent attack with his fists. At some point, Rihanna took the keys out of the ignition and threw them outside.

And there's this. According to the police report, she told cops this was not the first time Brown hit her. She referred to it as an ongoing and escalating abusive relationship.

We're told the criminal threats charge is based on that one statement Brown allegedly made. As one law enforcement source told us, "It's kinda weak, and the D.A. is not going to prosecute a high profile case like this unless it's solid." That's why it was kicked back for further investigation.

Given the brutal nature of the attack, which the photos clearly show -- contusions on the face, swollen eyes, cut lip, bloody nose, bite marks on fingers and arm -- a felony domestic battery charge is virtually a done deal. That, however, is a less serious offense than making criminal threats.

concerned lawyer

if he beat her like thr claiming he did then tell me why is he not being charged with assualt and battery....making criminal threats...come on...if he really beat her he would have been arrested for assualt and battery...the media should put out the right information

Steph

Chris, I hate to state this but if I were you I would get myself locked up in jail on purpase at this point cause anyone who is close to Rhianna (family) that sees pictures of what you did to her, YOUR IN FOR SOME HEAT cause I don't know what your thinking laying your hands on a women PERIOD. You need to fess up and take responsibility for your actions cause that is the only way you can turn this around and not let it happen again to the next women in your life. Be a man and admit your wrong doings cause this is absolutley the saddest thing I have ever saw looking at what you did to her beautiful face!

anonomous

I feel really bad for this girl. However I am glad this photo got out. One of the key pieces of a violent relationship is secrecy. This cats out of the bag, she can no longer make excuses for him and he can't deny it. He is notorious now. But I am sure the bimbos will be lining up to get with him even if he is a woman beater.

If she will only stick to her guns he is powerless. I hope she doesn't go back to him after this. What a sad role model she will be for all the young girls out there. And she would be setting herself up to get severly injured or even killed eventually. this abuse will never end and only escalate.

Rihanna you don't deserve this. This is not normal. You need to raise your standards!

a grown woman

first not saying what he did was right but if its not the first time then why hasn't she left him? there are some men and women who seem to thrive on being abused and personally if my boyfriend was abusive and we were in the midst of an argument instead of asking him to drive me home i would have gotten out and called someone to pick me up or gotten a cab its not like she couldn't afford one. as for him hitting her because he couldn't creep that just goes to show his true character that of a weak person, yes there are two sides to every story and if these pictures are the real thing then i hope she takes this as a wake up call and leave. no person deserves to be a human punching bag, no me personally i would have definitely got some hits in, it is not right for a man to hit a woman but like my momma always told me don't hit anyone unless you are willing to get hit back

Crystal

A real man does not abuse a woman. I hope Rihanna has the brains to prosecute him to the full extent of the law. I'm a domestic abuse survivor and I prosecuted my ex and held him accountable in court. He remains in prison. Rihanna needs to do the same to Chris and every woman who is abused should not keep quiet about it but denounce monsters who choose to abuse. It's a power trip for abusers. Once an abuser always an abuser.

Firenina, you can't be serious? You condone domestic violence? You are just as sick as Chris Brown is. Rihanna had every right to be pissed off about the text that Chris Brown received from some slut. Yeah I'd be damn mad if my husband got a text from another woman. That's cheating. You clearly have a lot to learn little girl.

Crystal

A grown woman, people stay because the abuser has the control. The abuser belittles the victim into believing they are worthless, cannot do any better. Abusers also threaten the victim if they mention anything about leaving. Your just stupid and ignorant and you, too, have a lot to learn.

chrisbrownscousinmel

First of all...if he's hit her before..she should have left him then..why stay in a relationship that is continously abusive? Secondly..no one knows what really happened except God, Chris, and Rihanna so people should stop passing judgement until they know the whole truth. Regardless..I will support Chris Brown no matter what...people are human and make mistakes..I just hope that they both learn from this incident.

PJ

We the fans can not control the criminal outcome of this unfortunate event we have all witnessed - we have proof he beat her after loosing his temper. We CAN control what we buy, what we listen to, what we support. Money talks! I'm confident that we can all send Chris Brown, his label, his lawyers, his manager and his family and friends a strong message HE NEEDS PROFESSIONAL HELP. We all know the deathly potential outcome of these type of relationships i.e. Jennifer Hudson's family. We must all speak up loudly so that those powerful people in the music business and Chris' family get this young man the helps he needs. He comes from an abusive household he needs therapy and some serious anger management.

Lyrics

This case is a prime example of guilty until proven innocent. Yes I said it correctly, no one has really heard the entire story from both sides but yet Chris Brown has already been considered guilty. There are always two sides to a story and so far Rhianna's pictures is all everyone needs to say Chris is guilty. Yes, I am a woman myself and I don't believe a man should put his hands on a woman. However, in saying that, it goes for the woman as well. Yes, Chris should have gotten out of the relationship if it was one of insecurity and jealousy, but at some point people do snap (especially if a person has been abusive to them as well). Yes I'm saying, Rhianna is probably not innocent but if Chris is guilty, she did not deserve to be beat up that way. At some point somebody needed to walk away instead of keep lighting the fire (Rhianna). I think it was immature on both their parts and Chris probably does need some counseling on learning when to walk away and knowing when to let it go. In saying that, Rhianna needs to know if she feels she needs to put her hands on a man to make him act right, then she doesn't need him (this is provided there is any truth to her physically abusing him as well.) Which brings me back to my main point, no one has heard from both sides and everyone says dumb sh........t when they are mad which is dangerous in today's society. Chris and Rhianna are no different from you or I or someone in our families that has an abusive history or just simply snaps at some point, this is just blown out of proportion because it's Rhianna and Chris Brown. One thing I have learned is that in this world, you can't make mistakes and expect to be forgiven and still unconditionally loved by the people, but to Rhianna and Chris, there is only one being that will forgive you both and still love you because he knows we all make mistakes, and that is GOD!!!! Good luck to you both, my prayers are with you.

Name423

well, i think that they're both victims. i heard that chris brown grew up around his dad abusing his mom. well, obviously.. when a person uses common sense.. they would figure out that of course chris is traumatized by what has happened to him and has not dealt with it right, which is defintiely NO excuse for hitting someone. however, it is the reason as to why it happened, he grew up around it. and, i know how it feels to grow up around abuse. i have ever since i can remember, with every form of abuse that a person can think of!! I know how it feels to be a victim of that stuff, and I can see how it can confuse a guy much more easily than a girl. Girls usually become more depressed while guys become more violant and angry. He obviously needs help and he needs to deal with things the right way. It would most likely help him to not be with anyone for a while to get on the right track. Just because people make mistakes doesn't mean they can't hcange, and i'm not defending his actions. i just wish that people would try to figure out why some things happen, becuase once you figure out why, then solutions and other things can be figured out, and people can be forgiven. which is also why holding a grudge and dwelling would be unhealthy for rihanna to do. basically, they both need to realize what they NEED and move on from what has happened. and, it's obvious that he needs space and time for himself, and she needs the same for diff. reasons. Hopefully, he will be embarassed enough to LEARN from his actions and take the necessary steps. but, for her to take him back right now would be completley wrong for both of them if they were to ever be together again. it's way too soon for anything about the situation or them as people to change for the better. things take time. if he were to change it's not like the world would see him change over night. considering, once you grow up or are around abuse a person never really gets over that. it's hard and really complicated. some people get so bad they can't connect cause with effect, or they form disorders from it. abuse is worse than the hollywoodized version that people see on tv. and only people who have gone through it truly know what it's like.

Girly

This is so sad. When men do this type of thing to women, they forget that this female is someone's daughter, sister, friend or whatever......just like they have daughters, sisters, mothers, friends or whatever.....They would be mad as hell and ready to kill someone if that ever happened to their mothers or daughters! I don't care what kind of person she is, that still does not give him the right to put his hands on her. It seems that fame has really went to his head. When he couldn't get his way, he threw a tantrum and started putting his hands on a female. That's something little boys do in elementary. We all like movies and music but just because he is part of the world that we love so much does not make what he did right. This is just unacceptable.

Paris

Rihanna you should've left chirs brown if he already abuse you before during the time yall was in a relationship, well if i was you I would've left him then....I'm sorry that this had happen to you rihanna I feel bad and sadden. Hopefully Chris brown i hope you change and get your act together cause nobody else does not want an abusive man like you...but really you need to go to anger managment to get help and control your anger...well this all i have to say so far..

Pet

The relationahip between Rihanna and Chris is over. West Indian parents and family would not allow this relationship to continue. Rhianna, listen to your parents, they know best and would not lead you down the wrong path. Chris took advantage of you because you do not have that many relatives, especially brothers, living in LA. Had there been many many brothers, he would have thought twice before he struck you. West Indian brothers do not usually sit back and let their beautiful little sisters be beaten up by a big men, or any man. Famous or not, Chris would have gotten a good whipping. Rhinna, I wish you well.

pw

1st of all it's a shame that it came to this for them, but if she hit him first he has every right to knock the hell out of her and vise verse, just because she's a woman doesn't give her a right to raise her hands to anyone, no matter how big or small. Now, if he did all this awefull stuff to her, there should be some marks on him, was his knuckles red, bruised, blood on his clothing, was he wearing the same clothing from the party when he turned himself in??? Or did someone else do this to her, and he's being a man and covering for her being a slut and saying he was involved, or maybe she's just a nut case and beat her own self and said she'll say he did it. She needs to be investigated more so than him, who cares about he bit of fame, her music, she sounds aweful, can understand a word she says, and what you can understand doesn't make sense, if she displayed herself as an evil little troll as a child you see what it got her in adulthood. CHIRS YOU CAN DO SO MUCH BETTER THAN HER, YOU'RE TO HANDSOME OF A YOUNG MAN FOR THAT SHARK WITH THE HUGE HEAD!!!! YOU NEED A REGULAR WOMAN, HELL YOU WOULD HAVE DONE BETTER WITH PARIS HILTON AT LEAST SHE'S CUTE, AND FUNNY, IF YOU HAVE TO DATE OUTSIDE YOUR RACE TO BE SAFE, THAN DO IT. GOOD LUCK FROM THIS BLACK WOMAN.

VA~girl

Living in Virginia, his home state, we hear alot about CB and Rhianna, and it's usually never anything good on her part. From her clinginess and jealous tirades, to making it a habit to slap him upside the head regularly, in public. I think that if you are going to put your hands on someone, regardless of whether you are a woman or a man, you should expect something from that person in return. I don't condone violoence on anyones part, but both parties should be held acountable. You can't just claim your the only victim because you got the worst of it. Based on personal experience, I had a crappy boyfriend, who I know wouldn't have resorted to getting physical if it wasn't for the fact that I did initiate the hitting at times. There is only so much a person can take sad as it made sound. I think they're both at fault.