Mickey Rourke -- Comforted By Puppy Love

2/18/2009 12:10 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Following the loss of his beloved dog Loki yesterday, Mickey Rourke couldn't help but pet every pup that passed him by last night in NYC.

Click to view!
On his way out of dinner at the Waverly Inn, Mickey explained that his beloved Chihuahua died around 5:00 AM, but the saddened actor said he still didn't have the words quite yet to express how he was feeling.

Loki was 18.

nivrat

Very sad but life goes on. I lost my 21 y/o cat last week.

2051 days ago

SLC

It is easy to see how much you love your dogs, Mickey, and that is just so touching. You seem like such a caring person. I am so sorry about Loki. I know that you will find it in your heart to keep your love for animals alive. Animal lovers such as
yourself are truly needed! Take care of yourself, and I must also say, I am so glad to see you back. You are a fine actor.
Love, SLC

2051 days ago

nickname

Mickey diserves the oscar he's a legend

2051 days ago

Miriam

OH NO! Loki has been with him through some very bad times! My heart goes out to him; as a dog owner and lover, I know what it's like to lose a friend who gives you unconditional love. Prayers and good thoughts to you, Mickey. Hang in there.

2051 days ago

greytalli

Mickey,
My heart hurts for you. I know how you feel. Please rescue a dog soon and let all this love you have for Loki go to heal the dog you rescue. I'll take dogs over people any day. I have 2 rescued Chihuahuas.

2051 days ago

melcat

Very sorry for your loss mickey. Hope you can keep the fond memories of the 2 of you very present. Btw, anyone who hasn't seen his new movie, "The Wrestler," GO SEE IT. Mickey is awesome in it! It should have been nominated for an oscar for best picture.

2051 days ago

Gia

So sorry to hear of your loss Mickey. Please consider adopting from a shelter.

2051 days ago

dido

so heartbreaking..this guy has been through so much and now this...I hope he finds comfort in knowing that he gave that dog a wonderful love-filled life till the end of it's days...our hearts are saddened for your loss Mickey!! Win that Oscar!

2051 days ago

Mia

Mick,
I am so sorry for your loss. Rather a trite statement, but for those of us who live for our furbuddies, we understand.
I have never replaced a pet. I have found new loves by adopting and rescuing. I do not have dogs now after nine years following the death of my 2 pups. The time is not right for commitment. I hold the bond too highly to selfishly acquire new dependents. My resources are gone, and I am in transition. So I will endure the loss and look forward until I can adopt new dogs in a secure knowledge that I can offer them my best.
You seem to really love your animal family. I hope you endure your loss in the loving memory of the gift of your dog friend. I am sending you sympathy, knowing the sense of helpless loss, and the love of the gift that you found in your pet. Thanks for loving your dog family so much!

2051 days ago

from japan

I feel for Mickey. I lost my dog, Liz 2 years ago. She was the same age as Loki.
RIP Loki.

Loki is waiting for Mickey at the Rainbow Bridge.

AT THE RAINBOW BRIDGE

There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth.
It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors.
Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge,
there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass.
When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place.
There is always food and water and warm Spring weather.
Those old and frail animals are young again.
Those who have been maimed are made whole again.
They play all day with each other.

Some of them here by the Bridge are different.
These pets were beaten, starved, tortured, and unloved.
They watch wistfully as their friends leave one by one,
to cross the bridge with their special person.
For them there is no one, no special one.
Their time on earth did not give them one.

But one day, as they run and play,
they notice someone standing by the road to the bridge.
This person wistfully watches the reunions of friends,
for during life, this person had no pet.
This person was beaten, starved, tortured, and unloved.

Standing there alone, one of the unloved pets approaches,
curious as to why this one is alone.
And as the unloved pet and the unloved person get nearer to each other,
a miracle occurs,
for these are the ones who were meant to be together,
the special person and the beloved pet
who never had the chance to meet while on Earth.
Finally, now, at the edge of the Rainbow Bridge,
their souls meet, the pain and the sorrow disappears,
and two friends are together.

They cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.

--- Anonymous ---

2050 days ago

I Will Take Being Born White Any Day - Thats Worth Much More To Me, #6

My dogs taught me what unconditional love is all about. I was too selfish to figure it out on my own.

2050 days ago

KATHY =( ^-^ )=

Very sad.. :( Being a lover of animals myself(and owner of 4 cats,once 5),and knowing that he said that was his only friend..I am very sad about this..I had lost one of my best cats that I had for 14 years.. It is very sad...I hope he mends soon ,and that he finds a sweet shelter puppy that will help him keep alive the memory of his poochy..

2050 days ago

Gigi

I AM SO SORRY MICKEY LOST HIS DOG. BEING A DOG LOVER MYSELF AND ALSO A CAT LOVER I TRULY BELIEVE A PERSON THAT LOVES ANIMALS IS A DECENT GOOD PERSON.
WE JUST LOST OUR CAT, WE NOW HAVE OUR 2 SMALL DOGS AND ONE CAT, ALL IN THE SAME AGE RANGE AND IT BREAKS MY HEART TO THINK OF LOSSING THE OTHER ONE'S ALSO. I UNDERSTAND HOW HE FEELS. IS THERE SOME KIND OF A LAW THAT SAYS MEN CAN'T GRIEVE FOR THEIR BEST FRIEND,B/C PETS ARE TRULY THE BEST FRIENDS ANYONE CAN HAVE. I KNOW AND MICKET I FEEL SO BADLY FOR YOU.
RIP LOKI AND BLESS YOU MICKEY FOR BEING SUCH A CARING PERSON.

2050 days ago

Beth B

I'm really sorry to hear about Mickey's dog. I too am dog lover especially small breeds. My little dog is my constant companion - I can't imagine losing her. I feel for Mickey and will remember him in my prayers. I also wish people who leave these mean spirited comments would remember that although Mickey is a celebrity - he is a person with feelings. Please consider that your jokes and mean comments are hurtful and a tough time.

2050 days ago

canuckgirl

I've been a fan of Mickey's since I was 13 and that was over 20 years ago. I don't care if he doesn't look like he used to, and he's definitely rough around the edges and says what's on his mind. He's not a plastic, fake Hollywood puppet like so many other successful actors and actresses out there today. He's raw and real and that's what makes him so interesting and such a fantastic talent. It's obvious how much he loves his dogs, and Loki in particular. And the fact that he doesn't have a family of his own and, in the past anyway, didn't have too many friends to lean on when times were tough, well I guess his dogs really were all that he had to keep him going. That just makes it 100% more painful when he loses one. Hopefully he has some people close to him now who can help him through.

2050 days ago