The Best

Oscar Speech Ever

2/23/2009 11:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

"Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto" -- Kunio Kato, winner of best animated short, said it ... NOT US.

videos

Thankyoupencil

He totally said thank you my pencil hahaha

ashley

First of all he is not an American.
Second of all it doesn't matter if he can't speak English cause he's a film maker!!
You ppl make me ashamed for being an American. No wonder rest of the world hates us.

Vinster

His film production company is called Robot. That's why he says: "Thank you my company, Robot. Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto." and throws in the Styx joke.

puhllleeez

I wonder if the Academy offered him a translator and he didn't want to take them up on it? Either way, that was great. #37 above is right, my daughter is taking Japanese and it is a difficult language to learn.

Fan Since 2007!!!

Great shot, hh!

How ironic that those who trash others who are struggling with English can't speak or spell their OWN freaking language worth a freaking DAMN...

faith

hahahahah...its hilarious..it amazes me that many didnt understand...DOMO ARIGATO MR. ROBOTO...THE SONG FROM THE 80S...

poppy

FUNNY,GENUINE AND SINCERE.

Breno

TMZ and some people here are extremely "not cool"
The guy does not have to learn ENGLISH... He is Japanese and not american or british or canadian or ...
HE DID VERY WELL... I UNDERSTOOD WHAT HE SAID... Thank you is enough.

Try to make a speech in Japanese.

I am happy for him... nice speech and very nice movie.

Karen27

are you guys kidding me with the racist, ignorant comments? This guy was great! No it wasn't perfect English, but he was trying, and I could understand about 85% of what he said. His company is named Robot, that is why he said The line from the Styx song. He has a sense of humor AND an Oscar, what do you guys have! I looked at my husband when he was finished, and said " that was the best speech ever!" and I still feel that way.

loci

"coulnt understand a work he was saying"

bit like your grammar

Jennifa O Jenny

Yeah - that was funny. But I doubt anybody under the age of 35 yrs old got the joke.

Moi

I thought he was funny, but then I am 41 and was a teen when the Styx song came out, so it was funny to me.
I could never learn Japanese! I did speak Mandarin when I was a tot but didn't continue with it once we returned to the U.S. I took German for several years and am not fluent lol. No reason he has to be fluent.

Gypsy

People always ask me why after 26 years living in the United States I haven't gotten my citizenship and the comments posted on here are part of the reason. I don't want to be an American because they are narrow minded closet racists.

Mr. Kato is Japanese and selected by the Academy to win. He is NOT American so why should he have to learn this language that half of your morons butcher on a daily basis. Seriously, read your own comments. Half of you can't spell and the other half make no sense.

The reference to the song was hilarious. Take it for what it is... Or better yet.. Travel to another country where they speak another language and see how they treat you. You'd be surprised and maybe realize that America has the biggest a holes on this planet.

blondie

alrt yall. im asian. i gotta say.....
it is funny. lol. but it was also cute.
give this dude a break he wasn't born nor live here, his short film prob wasn't even in english.

however, #53 - u can kiss our yellow asses as asian r buying your debts.
oh unless u r not american. ha.

japanesespeakingamerican

I loved his speech. I cant imagine the shock, surprise, and sheer stress of accepting a nationally televised award in Japan in Japanese...I'd probably faint before I got to the stupid podium. Gokurosama, Kato san. Ganbatte!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments