Will Brown Be Charged with Beating Rihanna?

3/1/2009 5:23 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Now that Rihanna has apparently decided to forgive Chris Brown for that unfortunate beat down, the burning question is whether Chris will beat the rap.

Rihanna and Chris Brown
Here's the lowdown. We're hearing the case will be turned over to the Los Angeles County D.A. next week, and a decision should be made soon thereafter on whether to file criminal charges against him. The two most likely charges: Making criminal threats and domestic violence.

As for a possible criminal threats charge, we think it's now less likely the D.A. will file because of Rihanna's change of heart. First of all, sources tell us the main reason he was arrested for this is because he allegedly told Rihanna something to the effect of, "I'm going to kill you." It's a terrible thing to say, but lots of people say it in the heat of battle, so it's thin to begin with. Add to that -- Rihanna may well testify she never believed he meant it and the case looks a bit lame.

Domestic violence is a whole other thing. When the jury sees the pictures of a clearly battered Rihanna, it's probably more powerful than any testimony she'd give. In fact, if she were to get on the stand and say she started the fight or somehow deserved it, it would not ring true ... especially because he was hardly the worse for wear when he was busted.

And there's this ... given the picture, it's going to be a tough call not to prosecute Brown.

Finally, we're told more than half of the D.A.'s domestic violence cases involve women who have either recanted their stories or have gotten back together with the alleged abuser.

We think a decision could come down sometime next week.

He's just another Idiot

Maybe Rhianna has a Death Wish.

2001 days ago

Macho Man

He needs to do a little time so he can build his street cred. He cannot be promoted to OG without a hard time degree.

Stephen D'Andrea

This guy's a F***ing LOSER. Next he'll be asking her to say she started it. Sadly, this will happen again; the cycle repeats

susie

I guess we have another OJ in our midst! Guess the LAW will only help when Rihanna ends up like Nicole Simpson! Shame on you Chris

Bear

PLZ prosecute the loser!

JustSaying...

I think the case is tough to simply just prosecute because Rihanna was out there acting a fool and that's the part that's' missing. I love both of them, but I think they just had a BIG OL' MOMENT OF DRAMA, and people don't want to see that part. I think they probably BOTH were swinging. He should not have hit her back, but I wonder if all these people saying he should go to jail have ever hit their husbands or boyfriend (or s-- buddies). I wonder if any of y'all have ever swung on anyone. Chris IS wrong if he did this but remember for yourself that time when someone on the road or in the store or in your relationship has taken you over the edge and think about how you reacted. It's not right. It's certainly not healthy,but sadly these things happen. They are young and she is forgiving him cause she KNOWS she was a part of it too. Love her to pieces but she played a part in this... a BIG part. It's time for ladies to stop playing manipulative victims and just assuming the guy is wrong because we've been done wrong and take credit for the crap we dish out AND the time we (not me but y'all accusers) hit as well. Thanks

Delicious

rihanna is a bad influence to the young girls that follow her.. Not it makes me think maybe she deserved to get hit why feel sorry for her she obviously liked it that's why she went back with him..

Delicious

rihanna your a dis grass i guess you like to get beat on... you're a loser! If a man hit me that's the end point blank no matter how much I love him. She probably hooked to his HUGE P nis I heard his got a big one.....

Fan Since 2007!!!

If II may repeat myself. I just came off a jury last year for domestic violence last year. Of course the wife ABSOLUTELY defendded her husband. Given the evidence of pictures and other testimony we BURIED the mother effer.

Fan Since 2007!!!

oops, said "last year" twice.
My bad.

3K

It's common knowledge this type of behavior, domestic violence, is acceptable in the African American culture.

Sunshine

What do people expect. She is a young woman who is in love. What woman on TMZ comments who say they would not reconcile with their attrackers. This is typical victim situation.

uhHuh

MIKE: YOU ARE RIGHT ON IT.
This was an opportunity for a high profile icon that kids & adults look up to and respect and SHE BLEW IT. She could certainly have made a stance and gave light to a common problem many live with because they are too weak to walk away. I think this act has definately tarnished these two artist' careers and I can now say I will never support her again. How much ya wanna bet we'll be seeing them in "Stop the violence" infomercials soon (required as part of their "community service" .
Even Tina knew when to kick IKE to the curb. And they were secret about it. Anyone who's been involved in a passionate violent relationship knows this doesnt just happen 'once' . It will again & again.Chris Brown destroyed his career by not being able to control his anger, Rihanna just may have destroyed hers by being with him again & so soon.

Idiot

I believe she is completely stupid. Seems to question the validity of her "so called" beating as well. If he hits her again, the cops are going to be a lot less likely to help her. She is just as stupid as he is. I do not feel sorry for her at all.

magentapyramid

Lock him up and throw away the key. Please.