Ed McMahon Struggles for Survival

3/2/2009 2:04 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Ed McmahonEd McMahon is in bad shape in ICU with pneumonia, bone cancer, and other medical problems. There are reports Ed only has days left. Here's a statement we just got from Ed's publicist, Howard Bragman. Take it at face value or read between the lines.

"I'm not a medical doctor, I'm a spin doctor, so I'm not able to give a diagnosis here. But, what I can tell you is this: I've seen many people come up to Ed over the years and say, 'You were a Marine.' Ed would look them in the eye and say, 'I AM a Marine.' What that means for his current medical challenges is the same thing it's meant for every challenge he's ever faced in life. It means he's a fighter -- not a quitter. It means he's confronting it head-on with strength, courage and dignity. I would ask that those who care about Ed say a prayer, remain hopeful and send their good wishes, because Colonel McMahon is still fighting the good fight. Ed, his family, and friends are looking forward to celebrating his 86th birthday Friday."

Spandex never looked better

When it's his time he will go - not a minute before or a minute after. We all must make the journey that he will undoubtedly be making soon. I hope it's a peaceful experience for him and his loved ones.

Poopy

NEWSFLASH !!!

HUGH HEFNER DEAD TODAY AT THE AGE OF 88.

barb

# 23 (You Are A Fool)................I wish the same to you and yours

beasely

lots of mean comments... the man was a colonel in the marines,,, served in korean war as a fighter pilot... the marines will bring him home, they always do,,

Pete from Bragg

If the man is dying then he is dying. I got that.
But it is irresponsible and insensitive to do a news show declaring his "Final Days."
SHAME ON YOU ET.
I am a fan and Im not saying I wont watch the show again, but I will definitely keep in mind how unsympatheically you handled this coverage.

Pete from Bragg

Sorry about your elderly aunt but all those things say "no purchase necessary to win." Scammed? I dont think so

Mike S.

Ed, no matter what anyone may say about you, you will always be remembered fondly by most. "a man's wealth is not measured by the material he owns, but rather by the regard with which he is held by his fellow man."

You are indeed a wealthy man.

Semper Fi! my brother.

DR WASABI

A GREAT MAN!!!!! KEEP FIGHTING!!!!!! G-D BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!!!!!! A FRIEND FROM BRONXVILLE NY

NiceGuy

As the late-great Phil Hartman of Saturday night live says when he did an impression of Ed,YOU ARE RIGHT ALMIGHTY ONE!
Hope you get better and do another telethon with Jerry Lewis this Labor Day!

Bob Dole rules

God it's so great to finally see so many respectful, positive, comments about Ed. McMahon.

Mr.McMahon is a great American who bravely served his country during WWII and the Korean War. And he has bee a true friend who was there for all those who neede him from Johnny Carson to Jerry Lewis. A comforting rock-of-Gibraltor father figure to all the young contestants on Star search and the Muscular Dystrophy Telethon. The 2008 telethon showed that Ed still had it. He [and Jerry ]did a great job as always.
I salute you sir and am praying for your full recovery. Take care and God Bless.

been there-never again

Ed,sometimes the soldier re-emerges in us,but we are NOT technically soldiers anymore.

Connie

Your in our Thoughts and Prayers

g-dawg

God Bless You Ed! No matter what mistakes you may or may not have made in life, I pray you have a peaceful passage into the next world. Best Wishes.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3