Economy Rocks Sesame Street,

Layoffs Ensue

3/11/2009 5:26 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0311_oscar_bn2-1First Wall St ... then Main St ... now the economy is taking its toll on Sesame St.

Sunny days could not sweep the clouds away ... and now the good people behind the world's greatest children's show have announced they must regretfully cut their workforce by 20% -- 67 positions in total.

The letters of the day are B and S.

When not asked to weigh in on the situation, Kermit the Frog responded by throwing up his hands, and screaming the following statement:

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Isa

thank you #12 for that info. i actually did not know that. despite i watch SS every day for the past year due to my two and one year old. i only knew Muppet Show and Sesame Street to be seperate.

shame on you TMZ!!! must have been the blonde stoner that did the research on that one.

Old School Woman

I first lauged when I started reading this story and then I stopped, but something must be done to save this show. This show has helped educate generations of families. I remember watching it with my son and now I watch with my grandson. He loves the show. I would hate to see its' curriculum reduced. Anyone know where we can send donations earmarked specifically for Seasame Street?

Isa

FYI, Old School Woman, purchasing SS toys, clothes and products contributes directly to Sesame Street. i have WAY too many elmos in my house. you can also visit www.pbs.org for donation sites for your favorite programs.

Phillip

Jacky

Kermit the Frog works for The Muppets NOT Sesame Street!

beeleevr

cute story! I love it!

Sapphyre

Well, we know Elmo is not on that list.

erica

I watched it when i was a kid now my daughter watches it. Y can tv companys pay for shows that have celebreties dancing or people getting dumped on a deserted island but nobody can help a show that teaches our kids their abc's and 123's? Now think about that.

lilninja

what is the world coming to? Big cuts being made on sesame street. Jobs at stake . will oscar the grouch get laid off or maybe fired? He does have an attitude problem. Is he eligible for unemployment? I am sure he is. Will he have to put his can up for sale? Who knows! Will the banks foreclose on the one room shack or will he get bailed out by obama? Even the greenest man on television is effected by the fastly slumping economy. Thanks to former president Bush. apparently he doesn't like green people either.
just another little comment from lil ninja
keep up the good work tmz
you'll are always on time

colleen

I LOVE SESAME STREET! THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!!!!! SAVE SESAME STREET!!!!

SP

They will probably change Sesame St. to Obama street. Thats what they get for voting for this spend spend spend guy. Who knows nothing about business or anything else besides reading a telepropmter.

CLEMSONBILL

The letters of the day are "B" and "S"........that is the funniest freakin thing i have heard in weeks......your writers are amazing

Diane

I'm really surprised that they count so few people in their (I'm assuming, television company, not product production and marketing). 20% is just 67 people? They must operate on a shoestring all the time. Too bad - I know how they feel - my 18 year old daughter is the only one in our household who still has a job. Scary times.

Pat

Sesame Street to lay off the letters Q, X, Z, J, and the semicolon

NEW YORK. – In yet another troubling sign of the flailing economy, iconic television children’s show Sesame Street has announced layoffs, which the show’s producers say will affect 20% of its staff.

However, the cuts don’t stop there ...

1957 days ago