Jackie Mason: Obama's a "Schwartza"

3/15/2009 2:35 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jackie MasonComedian Jackie Mason used what some say is a racial epithet in describing President Barack Obama during his act Thursday night, infuriating at least several people in the crowd.

During a performance at Feinstein's at Loews Regency in NYC, Mason referred to Obama as a "schwartza" -- some say it's equivalent to the "N" word -- others say it's just part of the Yiddish culture and a literal translation of the word "Black."

We're told one person walked out fuming, "He's more offensive to the Jews than Madoff tonight."

We spoke with Mason by phone a few minutes ago, and he was outraged at the criticism, saying, "I'm not going to defend myself. Chris Rock has told a lot more jokes about whites than I have against Blacks. What about the demeaning words Blacks say about Jews?"

Mason added, "If it's a racist society, the white people are the ones being persecuted because they have to defend themselves." Mason called people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson "professional racists."

Mason added, "I'm an old Jew. I was raised in a Jewish family where 'schwartza' was used. It's not a demeaning word and I'm not going to defend myself."

And there was this parting shot: "I'm more talented than Oprah Winfrey and look at how much she makes. I can't even make a living."

UPDATE:
Rev. Al Sharpton just sent us this statement:

"At this stage in Jackie's life and career he should get our prayers more than our responses. It is sad that maybe he forgot he used the same term against Mayor David Dinkins when he was elected the first African-American Mayor of New York City and got in trouble for it. As for him attacking me, maybe he forgot that he has had me on his TV show and has taken me to dinner and commended me for forgiving a white male who tried to kill me by stabbing me while I was leading a non-violent march. I'm sure Jackie just forgot."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

who cares

What are you talking about? Hyphen in their name?

1904 days ago

Al Baby

He is one of the last true Americans love him

MsMo

its 1908 again...

Twinker

Let my people go

noyankhere

ugh, here we go again, the race industry in america will have somethint else to march and yell about now.. zzzz but somehow they are so silent when blacks are beating up on each other publicly and when they go around murdering each other like jennifer hudsons family murder ... you an bet that its going to be all over the place .. there is no difference between the american jews, blacks, hispanics and whites..they can all be a pain when it comes to their endless squabbling that nobody else gives a damn about.. yawn...

Twinker

Oy vey!

ha!

Thank goodness, Political correctness took a break!!!! It s ok to call jews names, Its ok to call gays names. It was ok to call GW dumb, but use a little yiddish slang....... get ready to be drawn and quartered. Give me a break. Jackie Mason rcoks....

Twinker

Blacks and jews should just chill...they both know about slavery.

noyankhere

anyway the same black americans who pretend to be outraged are the same ones calling obamas father a sperm donor... and the same african americans who are quick to distance obama from his african family and background..so they get absolutely no sympathy from me... yawn...

brown recluse

Just another classic case of 'the major sh%ts of the mouth'Hey,i think anyone that uses racism as a form of comedy,needs a swift kick in the mouth along with a history lesson!Sharpton is just another leak that fuels the racism fire!!It's all really tastless and simple-minded and most of all it's LAAAAMMMMMEEEEE!!!!

RedBird

I'm not a Mason fan but I'm sick of the overly sensitive crybabies who look for any reason to pretend they're offended. The word "racist" has been thrown around so much these days that it no longer has any impact or meaning. Kind of like the insult, "bitch." Back in the day calling a woman a "bitch" was a horrible insult. Now if you call someone a "bitch" they're like, "Yeah, I'm a bitch...so what?" The "racist" label is so over-used, it means nothing. If you're white, you're automatically a "racist." YAWNY, YAWN, YAWN.

Bottom line - Mason has no need to apologize and he's right about Christ Rock, et. al.

noyankhere

6. Blacks and jews should just chill...they both know about slavery.

Posted at 1:50PM on Mar 15th 2009 by Pharoh

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

yes, but the jews made it work for them.. they took control and now own everything.. they run everything and yet they are just 2 percent of americas population and hold the world hostage to it..blacks are still on pity mode. still waiting for someone to bring the keys and take them out of the mental slavery that keeps them picking cotton ..the venue has changed, its now the prison yard not the cotton field but its the same thing.. nobody is ever coming to liberate anyone.. and the sooner they get that the better..meanwhile the pity party continues .. yawn...

dumbjew

If he's not defending his comments, then why is he giving a statement to TMZ? Obviously he knows he made a mistake. What idiot would pay to see him?

Loislane

Jackie: This isn't the first time you've made offensive, racist remarks. Just because your racist parents used this word in your home when you were growing up doesn't mean it is acceptable to use the word 60 years later -- and especially on stage! Wake up.. There are words that were used in society a mere 15 years ago that are just not acceptable today. And as for your comparison with Oprah: She has more talent in her pinky than you ever will have in your entire body. Don't blame her because your career is in the toilet; blame yourself and your BIG MOUTH. Face it: You're a washed-up, irrelevant has-been. It is time for you to retire. Go sit on the beach in Boca with your kind..

Maddy

"Schwartza" means "black person" in German and Yiddish. Why is this racist? I refuse to use "African American" as most black people were born in the USA-not Africa. I am not a racist, just tired of the games people play.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments