Kanye West -- Charged With 3 Crimes

3/18/2009 4:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kanye West has just been charged with three criminal misdemeanors -- vandalism, battery, and grand theft -- in connection with the camera-smashing incident at LAX.

Kanye West: Click to watch
The L.A. City Attorney has also charged Don Crowley, Kanye's manager, with the following crimes -- two counts of vandalism, two counts of battery and two counts of grand theft.

TMZ happened to catch the incident on tape. In fact, Kanye broke our camera light as we were shooting. Crowley is charged with breaking both the TMZ camera and the still camera. Kanye is charged with breaking the flash accessory to the still camera.

The incident occurred last September 11. Both men are scheduled to be arraigned on April 14.

Kanye could get up to 2 1/2 years in jail if convicted on all counts. Crowley could get five years.

Dee

To:AmazingFukrPants Wow ... now you are calling people monkey ..you are just as worst as he is... racist

Anon

The coloreds are violent animals with no self control.

Dee

To: Anon ... You are another KKK.. sick people in this country... so sad...

Dayum

What a spoiled prick. It would have been nice to see the photog splatter Kanye's head all over the floor in retaliation. This punk needs to grow up. It must get tiresome being chased by NO talent peckers that can only operate a camera and badger people but destroying the camera was a wee bit childish......

neecacola

SO KANYE IS BEING CHARGED THREE TIMES! FOR SOME NOSEY PHOTOGRAPHER TRYING TO MAKE A QUICK BUCK BY TAKING PICTURES OF HIM WHILE HE'S IN THE AIRPORT AND KANYE BROKE THE CAMERA AND SOME LIGHTS? WOW I DIDNT KNOW THE PAP HAD THAT MUCH PROTECTION. NO ONE IS SAFE. I HOPE KANYE GOES SCOT FREE. I WOULD DO THE SAME THING IF SOMEONE STUCK A CAMERA IN MY FACE.

taylorrrrr

You know what? All of you people are criticizing him and saying to lock him up, have you ever thought that maybe it gets just a "little" annoying to have people following you every second of every day? I mean come on, half of you people turn away a camera when it tries to take pictures of you at a Christmas party, and yet you expect celebs to just deal with it and be put on display like some kind of mannequin? Come on guys, really, listen how stupid you all sound. He doesn't deserve to be locked up, 99% of us would have done the same thing. Give him a break for Christ's sake. Let the man walk around in PRIVACY. How hard is it? Really.

Mary Cooper

Kanye is a PUNK!!!!!!!
Hope he gets what he really deserves!

JVF

If I was over Homeland and Airport Security, I would outlaw the press from being inside the Airport area. With service cutbacks by all Airlines and long lines and the press (legit and the stalkerazzi like TMZ ) LAX is a nightmare to get in and out of. TMZ and all should be banned ... its just not a safe area and even normal people have to work to get around the jerks that are stalking for a picture while trying to make connections that are hard to make. ALSO, going though the search can be a period of taking off ALLOT since the Homeland Searchers always make attractive people strip down and I dont want people seeing me in my underwear on YouTube and in the press so GETTHE BLOODY HE*L OUT OF THE AIRPORTS NOW!!!
Also, I went to Beverly Hills to find a speciality item on Canon ... not even pricey Rodeo ... I'm not in the least bit connected to the "Industry" , not famous etc. but because I was buying a 20 dollar item (in what was an EMPTY STORE), I was mobbed by stalkers asking who I was and taking pictures ... You always expect an Asian Tourist to take a picture of you on Rodeo, but CANON ... c'mon If I was a merchant in Beverly Hills, I would sue these jerks since it appears that every store is relatively empty except for all of the clowns searching for a star.
Harvey Levin the celebrities need to STALK YOU and put cameras up your crotch ... YOU ARE A JERK.

Sarah

I wish Kanye west well. I hope and pray he doesn't go to jail.

R

I think this is pathetic. Come on! Paparazzis needs to leave them alone in the first place! You asked for it, TMZ!

Triple Play

He should also be charged with impersonating a singer. Talentless Hack

Charlene

No. He should not be convicted for breaking a stupid camera. See, these photog dudes just get up all in these celeberty faces not knowing what is going on with them that day. Anything could have happened to him. And because they are so inconsiderate, maybe he just let his fustration out on him. I seen one video of him where he politley asked them not to film him and they did it anyway.I know that it's their job, and the photogs come with the celeberty lifestyle(i guess.) but damn can the people get some type of privacy even if they ask for it? And to those of you who dont like Kanye and thinks that he sucks??? YOU SUCK! Who are you anyway compared to Mr.Kanye West? Keep on Kanye. I will always love you and your music. "Bow in the pressence of GREATNESS!"

me....

I dont think he should be convicted of that stupid reason, i proubly would have broken that stupid camera 2 if it was up in my face

Delicious

Kanye West if you don't like the lime light thn get the fck out of it..... When you're an artist you're def going to have the papz after you.... You got carried away little boy! And the ghetto guy that was with you should also be charged....

Michael Madsen

Make that FOUR crimes - The DA has to include his career.