« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

John 3:16 -- 86'd from Final 4

3/23/2009 10:21 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Some religious dude brought one of those "John 3:16" signs to the Siena vs. Ohio State NCAA Tournament basketball game the other night -- but as soon as he put the sign up, some random security guard rushed in for the steal and ripped it down.

FYI -- Siena happens to be a private Catholic school. Apparently Jesus isn't allowed to attend away games.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Rob

5. 3 cheers for the security guard. Those people walking around with 3:16 signs scare the hell out of me.

Posted at 9:38AM on Mar 23rd 2009 by south
-----------------------------------------------

Apparently NOT!

Frag The Paps

BL, so the Spanish Inquisition was not about Jesus? How about Father Junipero Serra, who brought Christianity to the native Americans. Wanna take a stab at how many people he had killed because they would not wise up and jump on the jesus bandwagon.
Freedom of Religeon is also freedom FROM religeon. Would anyone be a big fan if I sat in the crowd with a big sign that says there is no god and you are all stupid for believing a fairy tale? Peoples personal beliefs should be just that....personal. Keep it to yourself and nobody gets offended. It's when people say my god is better than your god that we get planes flying in to buildings.

Bonton

Dear Frag the Paps, again, that is their own agenda...you mention this Father Junipero--first of all he sounds like a catholic not a christian, only catholics have the arrogance to give the title Father-which is quite a difference from true christianity but putting that aside if you murder ppl in the name of Christ you do not truly follow Christ--I am having a hard time understand why its so apparently difficult for you to understand that-Just because these psychos say they are killing for Christ doesnt mean thats what they're SUPPOSE to do---That is contrary to God, and saying 'oh my God is better than your God' There is only one God-THE GOD-everything else is a conjured mythical non existent thing-ppl just cant except that because they want to do things their own way...but I have said what I wanted to and wasted enough time on here today....I'm sure it will totally disgust you Frags, but I will pray for you and anyone else who needs God's love.....Tootles.....

California Dude

So where is the ACLU on this? Freedom of speech is just that! That Security Guard should be fired, and he should be required to give a public apology, as well as he should be required to attend sensitivity training. I find it very odd that those folks posting on this board that they hate to have religion shoved down their throats find that this form of freedom isn’t acceptable however when the tables are turned they get upset. What about tolerance? Oh I see it’s a one way street.

Trey's pop

Gee if that fat son of a bitch had his taser he would have really shown that evil Christian.

Linda Mott

If it was a Muslim sign in a Muslim school, they wouldn't dare. Christians, Catholics and Jews are all fair targets to the world.

pam

Like many others, I think that arena has a no signs rule. All signs are taken out not just the ones with religious statements on them. The signs block the view of other patrons. If he had printed that verse on a t-shirt no one would have bothered him.

i love the 80

this is what's wrong with this country right now. for all those people who say that person is a nut job, shame on you. it is in the bible about turning away from god. that and denoucning him is what will keep you people out of heaven. im glad he had that sign , it should not have been taken away, whatever happened to freedom of speech? its in the constiution after all. you people are all going to get a huge wake up call when jesus returns. and i cant wait to see it!

i love the 80

FOR GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD , THAT HE GAVE HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON, THAT WHOSOEVER BELIEVETH IN HIM SHOULD NOT PERISH BUT HAVE EVERLASTING LIFE.

17. FOR GOD SENT NOT HIS SON INTO THE WORLD TO CONDEMN THE WORLD; BUT THAT THE WORLD THROUGH HIM MIGHT BE SAVED.

bigdadsav

I am sick of the Obama religion shoved into our faces. We need to go around ripping down all of his signs.

drew

If this guy had a John 3:16 t-shirt they wouldn't have asked him to cover it up. It's a sign thing. No signs. You didn't see any other signs in the stands during the game. No signs. I am Catholic. I'm not offended by the guy losing his sign. It wasn't because of content. No signs. Stop making this about religion. No signs. I think the security guard could have been a bit nicer in his removal of the sign instead of just snatching it out of the guy's hands. Holding up a sign that says John 3:16 is not pushing religion down anyone's throat if you don't know what John 3:16 says. What do you care? If someone held up a sign at that game that read : "I'm here, I'm queer, get used to it" then it would have been snatched down as well. No signs. I would be willing to bet though that had the latter sign been snatched in such a manner there would have been a lawsuit and a declamation for the firing of the security guard.

lowell

this country is goin to hell !!!!

nan

Whatever to happened to freedom of speech and freedm of religion? He has every right to express himself any way he chooses! This is AMERICA! What do you want to censorship? You can flaunt you behind but not your faith? YOU PEOPLE SCARE ME! When you can silence someone by force or intimidation when does it stop! Boy is there a frightening double standard here sounds earily like communism. "I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death your right to say it." That is AMERICAN!

tryingtomatter

If no one cares about this person's religion, then why all the uproar? I wish before it's too late - if that time has not already come - people would open their eyes to how the freedoms so many of our ancestors, friends and relatives fought to preserve are being quickly eliminated in the name of fairness and political correctness. If a guy holds up a JOHN 3:16 sign, then he's a religious zealot who should be suppressed immediately. But what if he shares a kindness or generosity? What if he offers mercy? What if he lives to serve others? What do you do then? These also are charges to those who follow Christ, but they are not actions solely enacted by Christians. How do you identify who's who? Maybe we should all be required to wear a symbol of our belief or carry a card identifying our belief system. Oh wait, that's been done, hasn't it? I don't think that worked out too well. The point is, regardless of your beliefs, is there not something you hold dear that government cannot take from you? If we, as Americans, don't soon put a stop to this abuse of power, we will lose the opportunity to do so. And these angry anonymous exchanges serve simply to starve mankind and feed the beast. God bless America!

Say YES to Socialism!

Jesus was a socialist... why aren't you?

Matthew 19: 16 - 21
16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him…if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness.
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love they neighbour as thyself.
20 The young man saith unto him, All of these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come follow me.

Luke 6:35-38
35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.
37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:
38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

Matthew 25:34-46
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments