Michelle Obama -- Fashion Diva or Disaster?

4/4/2009 1:29 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Sweatergate 2009! Michelle Obama wore a sweater when she met with Queen Elizabeth II this week, and her wardrobe choice has kicked up major drama in the fashion world.

Obama

The First Lady often wears affordable American brand clothes to events, and apparently Oscar de la Renta isn't happy about it. He told Women's Wear Daily, "You don't...go to Buckingham Palace in a sweater."

But in this economy, if the First Lady wears clothes most Americans can afford -- isn't that a good thing?

Ziggy

Let's face it. When was the last time anyone even paid attention to what any First Lady was wearing?

Never!!

It's because she is black . If McCain had been elected and if it were the McCains in this photo, no one would give a damn.

America is full of ignorant trialer park low class trash waiting to spread negativity in any format allowed ~~ racsism.

She's the first lady and she looks fine. Protocol dictates that she not overdress and look better than the Queen. The Brits loved her.

I'd say she pulled this one off with grace and style.

She's way smarter than any of these idiots talking smack about her on this website, that's for sure.

Cindy McCain would have looked like an overdressed Barbie doll hag. Would that have been better?

NOBODYSPECIAL

look at the Queens Dress??? Did anyone ever mention that?? It looks like my Great Great Grandmother housecoat. I think people need to stop worring about the small stuff!

Mrs. Smith

DO ANY OF YOU WHO CHOOSE TO USE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO SEND RACIAL SLURS BECAUSE OF WHAT SHE'S WEARING IS JUST SO SAD. IN THE FIRST PLACE MICHELLE IS A SUMA LATTE..FROM PRINSTON AND A GRADUATE OF HARVARD LAW SCHOOL, SO iIM SURE THAT SHE COULDNT CARE LESS ABOUT WHO YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT HER. aLSO I THINK THE OUTFIT SHE WORE IS FINE.

Mrs. Smith

To Micah...All I have to say is who's covering all these speeches gooo talk to the Nes Networks and stop trying to find something to hate on with the Obama's..Daamm. Just except it.

pat

I just can't get over the fact he is the president they both look so insignificant. America what have you done.

SYB

the sweater MIchello Obama has on cost $298 !!!!!!!!! This is not something MOST AMERICANS CAN AFFORD......

myfashionswap.com

Michelle is a style icon. She looks very elegant, classy and sophisticated.

tarded

That woman is FUGLY!!! My HORSE has a better smile than her! Why does everyone go ga-ga over her? WTF?

monica

To set the record straight, I am a lovely black female with two masters degrees and competent to post on this subject. michelle does look like a linebacker/wrestler in drag. Her goofy smile here, trying to hide those horsey teeth and bulldog jaw, is loathsome. her outfit is tacky for that horrible body. And, NOBODY touches the Queen! Good grief these people have no class. michelle and "dumbo" stand there looking like they think THEY are royalty. these two are so out of their league socially it's a pity. no dresser or anybody else can save these elitist wannabes. As or those of you who fool yourself into thinking this get-up is low key due to our economy, then explain his constant global and inter country jetting around in his self-describe "cool ride" to dine out, etc., costing us MILLIONS!! We have all been duped and are now the laughing stock of the world. put a bag over this woman's head, PLEASE! As for her Harvard education - get serious = she was let in on the affirmative action program - it didn't matter what her grades were. it was a handout.

Susan

Goodness. This is an attractive couple - no doubt about it. However Mrs. O's style is lacking. First she needs to learn to stand up straight. Her posture is horrible and detracts from whatever she wears or even says. Secondly, I think she is experimenting. The sheath dresses work on her. The sweaters and flowery things do not. She is a strong looking woman and should play to it. She needs a stylist and one that is honest. The simple classic dresses in bold colors work on her. She is not a supermodel and needs to stay away from the trendy. She must like the pearls. They are everywhere. She needs to change the asscessories up. She is big girl - not fat - large. Good posture and the right shoes. She looks really good in heals. She should be proud of her height and not slouch.

peps

can someone please tell michelles hairstylist not to spray hairspray on her hair it doesnt look natural give her some soft bangssssssssssssss

tell makeup artist not to make heri eyebrows too high soften the look a little bit

dont let her wear big skirtssssssssss

tell her to stand up straight.

i love michelle.

stopthepresses

I don't live in a trailer, but Michelle sure looks like she stepped out of one. What a horror show! She stole the Queen's snuff box and USED IT by damn! I'm torn: does she look more like a Wookie, or more like a Klingon?

WaitingToSayIToldYouSo

Oscar is just in a jealous little snit because she doesn't pay thousands of dollars for his overpriced crap. I wouldn't either. Class doesn't have to cost money and just because you have money doesn't mean you have class. de la renta is nothing but a name and his opinion doesn't mean as much as he likes to think it does.

del

436. On television the First Lady of France looked gorgeous and her clothes were lovely and appropriate. Our First Lady looked like she shopped at Good Will - clothes too loud and too tight. You're not in South Chicago anymore, Michelle, try to look and act the part. It may be impossible, though.

Posted at 1:05AM on Apr 6th 2009 by Michelle needs a Dresser

So it's BETTER to be an adulterer, gold digger with no education if you wear a Chanel suit? That makes the French 1st lady classy, despite her 8th grade education and slutty behavior bonking a married man? Wow, I guess we know where your priorities lie. One can be an absolute dimwitted whore as long as one dresses well!

1988 days ago

hum

OMG, I should have posted my comment about Michelle O here and not on MTO! I clearly stated that Mrs. O looks like a Tranny (a man in drag) and people went off on me! I think I found a new home here on TMZ! I just called it like I c it!! Everyone took my comment out of context, telling me how intelligent, and classy she is, and I never said that she wasn't, I simply said that she looks like a man in a dress, she has strong ass features! I was kinda feeling like I was the only person feeling that way!

1988 days ago