« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Angels Pitcher Adenhart Killed After Ball Game

4/9/2009 11:49 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Los Angeles Angels starting pitcher Nick Adenhart was killed in a felony hit-and-run car accident in Fullerton, California early this morning -- hours after he pitched in a game last night.

Nick Adenhart: Click to watch
Cops say someone driving a minivan blew through a red light, causing the Mitsubishi that Adenhart and three others were riding in to hit a light pole. Three of the four people in the Mitsubishi were killed in the crash -- Nick, another man and a woman -- while the fourth person remains in the hospital.

Cops say the person driving the van fled the scene -- but was later caught and charged with felony hit-and-run. The suspect is also being treated for injuries in a local hospital.

We're told one of the other men killed in the crash was also affiliated with the Angels organization.

Nick was 22 years old.

FYI -- Nick pitched his ass off last night, striking out 5 guys in 6 scoreless innings. His performance was hailed by sportswriters as a "brilliant effort by a 22-year-old right-hander making his fourth Major League start."

Story developing...

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Ryoichi Morita

Only 22 years old. What a shame.

jenneifer

omg i know him..he grew up in my hometown in williamsport Maryland..this is so sad he grew up with my brother they played ball together.

Black Power

This story is true. The news stations in L A are reporting it. TMZ was just quick enough to get it on their site even before the Angels site. What a waste. I hope the best for his family and wish the Angels luck in their grief.

GM-Carson

This is disturbing news. I watched the first couple innings of the game last night, the kid had a promising future.

james

ESPN just reported it. I guess theyre a little late...

WowReally

My condolences - what a tragedy.

Just for the record - no one died Monday night at the stadium when the concrete fell. Get your facts straight before stirring the pot!

StaycQ

Way to go TMZ..first to break the news.. CNN just announced it, but said police are not naming the "high profile" victim!

StaycQ

I should also add, that I do feel saddened..so young with such a promising career ahead

Jerry

OMG!! I was at his last game! He did a GREAT job! How sad...

s

awful tragedy. whoever hit him is a coward and will pay for this.

Todd

Wow, another senseless death of 3 people, by a hit and run driver. And being a young baseball player makes it even more sad. Just beginning his career of pitching.

BelDi

that is heart-wrenching. Thank GOD they caught the hit & run monster who tried to get away! This is the type of garbage that needs to be kept off the highways - permanently. You leave, you LOSE your license forever. Freaking COWARD killed THREE PEOPLE!!!

tinygeorge

In the late 70's/ early 80's I drove police garage tow rigs, pulling apart accident's like this for a living.
The person who caused them usually was never seriously injured because they were so loaded that they remained loose during the impact, & were alive by the time I rolled up to badmouth me and threaten me to not mess up the mangled bloody piece of crap that used to be whatever they were driving.
Doesn't matter if he was high or not, this a****le ran from the scene leaving not only the other victums, but a friend in his own vehicle without even trying to help.
I hope they lock this fool in a room, throw away the room and keep the key.
My prayers for the family & friends of all the victums. T.G. :0(

Jesus juice

How tragic!!! Thoughts and prayers go out to his family. What a loss!!!

Superfly Caroline

Is there even going to be a game?. How could the player s perform? It wouldn't be fair.... such a Tragedy.

Harvey great job braking the news...