Prez Pup Coming to Obama White House Tuesday

4/11/2009 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

ObamaWe have lots of exclusive details on the Portuguese Water Dog President Barack Obama and Michelle are getting for Sasha and Malia. The pooch will make its grand entrance on Tuesday, and it's coming from a prominent Texas kennel, with the help of Senator Ted Kennedy's family.

The black dog -- a male -- is approximately six months old. We've learned it was bred at the kennel and sold to someone who gave it back. The kennel is now "re-homing" the dog to the Obamas. The dog was named Charlie, but the Obamas will rename it.

Now here's where the Kennedys come into play. The kennel has sold the Kennedys three Portuguese Water Dogs in the past, all from the same lineage. The dog the Obamas will be getting is from the same lineage as the Kennedy dogs. The Kennedy family will be presenting the new dog to the Obamas, but it's really coming from the kennel.

The reason this all sounds so technical is that there are issues regarding gifts to the Prez. The fact that the pup is being re-homed makes it all kosher.

The dog pictured below (right) is the actual dog the Obamas will be getting, courtesy FirstDogCharlie.com.

Launch photos

aleks

too bad he couldn't set an example and adopt a rescued dog from a shelter.

Rhonda Beard

I hope the first thing they do when they get their new dog is have him fixed. If they don't no one, not male or female's leg will be safe. People think if they get a male dog they won't have to worry about puppies. You don't at least at your home.
But the desire to make puppies will be first and always on their mind until they are fixed. I myself have found for a child's pet, females have always been best.

pd

If the Obama's were so set on on a Portuguese Water Dog why didn't they adopt one from the Portuguese Water Dog Breed Rescue Group http://www.pwdca.org/breed/rescue/ I'm sure they have many for him to choose from..

Sounds like Obama didn't want someone else's goods .. Shame he didn't keep his word that he would adopt from a shelter and save a life..

'Don't Breed or Buy While Homeless Pet's Die'
'Until There Are None Adopt One'

Creeder

"Re-homing" (who the heck thought up that term?) or not it's still a PUPPY MILL puppy. So much for getting a shelter dog. America, this man doesn't have the truth in him.

allen antrim

Why doesn't this story move on down the line like the rest?

tmz.fan

I heard this dog was originally being considered to head up healthcare reform, but had to settle for first dog after he got caught beating the crap out of some hooker.

Karen

The dog's adorable and, since Malia is allergic, meets the requirements. My cousin is deathly allergic to lots of things and he has two labradoodles. He and the dogs are thriving.

Mary

Barack broke his word. This is what he said.

"Rejoice! During an interview with ABC’s “This Week with George Stephanopoulos”, President-elect Barack Obama confirmed that the family has narrowed their search for a First Dog - and that it will definitely be coming from a shelter. He said they had settled on either a labradoodle or a Portuguese water hound. “Now, we’ll go to a shelter and see when either one of those comes up,” he added."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nationally known artist Shepard Fairey, whose grandmother lives in Anderson, has created a poster for Adopt-a-Pet.com, the nation’s largest pet adoption web site, to coincide with the Obamas’ adoption of dog to promote pet adoption.

Fairey, who now has a studio in California, is the man behind the iconic image of President Barack Obama that appeared at political rallies through the campaign, appeared on the cover of “Time” and is in the collection at The Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery.

“He takes up for injustice anywhere,” Adopt-a-Pet.com spokeswoman Pia Salk said. “He understands that shelter animals also suffer injustice. He has been a really huge help in getting the word out about saving lives.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Arlington, Va. -- President and CEO of The Humane Society of the United States Wayne Pacelle verified that Barack Obama will adopt a dog. He made the announcement during his dinner speech at the 4th Annual Taking Action for Animals (TAFA) conference.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Michelle Obama announced yesterday on Entertainment Tonight that her family was indeed planning to “adopt a rescue dog,” and we couldn’t be happier about it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
During his dinner speech at the Taking Action for Animals conference, presidential candidate Barack Obama announced that he and his family will be adopting a dog.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Obama, keep your campaign promise. Don't let us down. If you don't keep this promise, how can we trust you? Getting a purebred dog from a kennel is not what you promised.Save a "mutt like you" from the shelter.

Animal welfare groups have been circulating petitions urging Obama to adopt a dog, rather than purchase one from a breeder or pet store.

The Obamas said in a recent TV interview that they will wait to adopt a dog until after the election, win or lose.

gary

if it is from the kennedys they should name one of the pooches mary jo so that people will always remember hoe teddy boy ley her drown

Cork

How cute. It's black AND white, just like obama.

lunarmagpie

Those of you who feel "betrayed" that the Obamas are not getting a dog from a shelter really need to try to see a broader picture here.

I work for a shelter (15 years not) and have been very involved in rescue for many years, and my experience has taught me that I just can't in good conscience recommend an adopted dog for every situation. There are a lot of things to consider, and the Obamas have several unique concerns, not the least of which is a very allergic daughter. Obviously, they can't and shouldn't get just any dog as the potential for someone's heart being broken is far too great.

While it may be argued that they would set a good example by adopting a pet, I happen to believe they are already setting an excellent example by not rushing into an adoption. It's at least as important to be sure the timing is right, and to do one's homework to be sure the right pet is chosen, as it is to be "politically correct" by adopting, imho.

My shelter and rescue experience has shown me that if more people would be as careful as the Obamas are being in choosing the right pet at the right time, there would be fewer pets in shelters in the first place.

Glenn

Who the hell cares!!

FirstDogCharlie

Sorry folks. I am trying to keep the site up. My servers are getting overloaded (attacked). Not sure which. Anyway. I have called my hosting company. Hopefully they are working on it. I will make another post as soon as I can on the site.

FirstDogCharlie

Bochonowner

First, what does this dog have to do with the hostage situation? No sane person hangs out in waters near Somalia and is surprised when pirates capture their ship. Btw, the US has a long-standing policy of not negotiating with hostage takers/terrorists. Why abandon the policy now? The fallout from that would be severe.

Second, adopting a dog returned to a breeder is getting a de facto shelter dog. Most breeders send "unsuccessful" puppies to breed-specific rescue groups. Maybe you people wouldn't complain so much if they'd done it that way, and not have been HONEST about the procurement process.

Third, I suffer terribly from pet-related allergies. I looked for a lower-allergen dog with hair for 8 months with no success. Finally, I went to a breeder and bought one of the older puppies (he was 4 months) they were about the send to a rescue. Yes, I technically bought a pure breed, but I decided to prioritize my health. My bichon is wonderful, I'm glad I saved his ife, and he's been a gerat companion. A win-win-win all around.

Last,this is the campaign promise you're most upset about? Really? I was never an Obama supporter, so don't accuse me of being partisan in his favor. If you're going to get pissed off about something, how about the bailouts? The troops remaining in Iraq longer than promised? All the freaking nominees with tax problems?

urwrong

This doesn't even warrant being on YOUR website yet alone any reputable website. WHY do we care?