Prez Pup Coming to Obama White House Tuesday

4/11/2009 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

ObamaWe have lots of exclusive details on the Portuguese Water Dog President Barack Obama and Michelle are getting for Sasha and Malia. The pooch will make its grand entrance on Tuesday, and it's coming from a prominent Texas kennel, with the help of Senator Ted Kennedy's family.

The black dog -- a male -- is approximately six months old. We've learned it was bred at the kennel and sold to someone who gave it back. The kennel is now "re-homing" the dog to the Obamas. The dog was named Charlie, but the Obamas will rename it.

Now here's where the Kennedys come into play. The kennel has sold the Kennedys three Portuguese Water Dogs in the past, all from the same lineage. The dog the Obamas will be getting is from the same lineage as the Kennedy dogs. The Kennedy family will be presenting the new dog to the Obamas, but it's really coming from the kennel.

The reason this all sounds so technical is that there are issues regarding gifts to the Prez. The fact that the pup is being re-homed makes it all kosher.

The dog pictured below (right) is the actual dog the Obamas will be getting, courtesy FirstDogCharlie.com.

Launch photos

beachy

Oh - get real. Who can tell the difference from the First Dog and the First Horse (oops), I mean First Lady.

Oh - for God's sake - who freaking cares what they do??????????? May he be gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Q

I certainly hope the dog has been properly vetted.

jen

chynna....Very witty post.....LMFAO........

Reyna

That dog sure is ugly lmfao

beachy

#30

Too funny!

You know that dog has back taxes that are due. But- it was just an innocent mistake.

Wonder if Big Barry will think that way when I don't contribute to his bringing down of our country next year?

Selena

Was her name Mary Jo, the lady Ted K. left submerged with her fingernails clawed deep into the dashboard in drowning. He just left her there. Swam back to shore, next seen with his lawyers hours later telling where she was. Water savior dogs?? Sounds ike guilt ridden dying man to me.

jared

Of course he wants a dog that looks like Oprah

steelersrock!!!

I hope that PETA has a few things to say!! Just like they did with Bidden! Read up on it on yahoo.com. Are the Obama's going to say that this dog is be saved because it is being "RE-HOMED? Should be getting a dog from the pound!!

whocares

So much for the shelter dog. Yeah right if you expect me to believe this dog is being rehomed because it was given back. That is B.S....spare me the spin weather it is fox news or cnn...it all spin. On my gosh, go to petfinder.com and you can come up with hundreds of hypo-allergenic dogs. (No such thing but a reduced allergy dog is more accurate). I got my hypo-allergenic dog from Petfinder.

gossip fan

Portugese Water dogs are very prone to Addison's disease. I had a lab with that a few years back but I'm sure they can afford the meds for it to live for quite a few years. I'm glad they can afford to take care of it. Sarc off! The last thing they need is a dog, the prez can't even take care of our hostage ship captain or the country

Marina56

Quite a number of haters, of the nastier kind, on here.

For those who are actually interested in information, rather than not-so-clever "jokes":

1. One of the girls is allergic to dogs. PWD's are one of the few breeds that can be tolerated by people with dog allergies.

2. At 6 months of age, and having been returned by the original purchaser, the dog qualifies as a "rescue" because there wouldn't be a market for him any more. If the breeder hadn't taken him back, he would have ended up in a shelter or with a breed specific rescue group.

3. All of my dogs have been rescues, which means all of them have had other names previously, and usually I have not even known their prior names. All of them have adjusted just fine to their new names. In the one case where I knew the prior name but didn't think it suited the dog, I just "hyphenated" the old and new names for a week. At the end of the week, I called her with her new name, and she responded immediately, while she ignored it when I called her by her old name. I figure she was telling me that the old name didn't have any positive associations for her.

whocares

At six months old a breeder still can sell this dog. Plus, you know it has already been trained so it won't pee or crap in the white house, which took at least two months to fully train this dog. There going to lie to use and say this dog couldn't have been sold. Some purebred dogs which are retired still sell for as much as $500.00. I am happy for the girls but again disappointed in the lie. The spin.....

dee

It's cruel and inhuman to rename a 6 month old dog!

Overboard

The dog is already six months old!?!! Not a puppy they could train themselves! No puppy for the girls?!
Males lift their legs on anything and everything! They'll have to cage him! LOL!
Why not a white puppy -for the Whitehouse?

Rebecca

I don't like Obama, but in defense of dogs and renaming....

I have 2 dogs. The first is named Master Chief (after the Halo game). We call him Chief, however, he also answers to Fathead, Chief-retard, or just plain Tard. He's 1 1/2.

The second dog is named Candace. She also answers to Candidi, Deeter, Dee Dee, Deeds or Deet-da-deet. Dogs will answer to anything as long as you love them!

Yes, my three kids all have goofy nicknames, too!