Prez Pup Coming to Obama White House Tuesday

4/11/2009 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

ObamaWe have lots of exclusive details on the Portuguese Water Dog President Barack Obama and Michelle are getting for Sasha and Malia. The pooch will make its grand entrance on Tuesday, and it's coming from a prominent Texas kennel, with the help of Senator Ted Kennedy's family.

The black dog -- a male -- is approximately six months old. We've learned it was bred at the kennel and sold to someone who gave it back. The kennel is now "re-homing" the dog to the Obamas. The dog was named Charlie, but the Obamas will rename it.

Now here's where the Kennedys come into play. The kennel has sold the Kennedys three Portuguese Water Dogs in the past, all from the same lineage. The dog the Obamas will be getting is from the same lineage as the Kennedy dogs. The Kennedy family will be presenting the new dog to the Obamas, but it's really coming from the kennel.

The reason this all sounds so technical is that there are issues regarding gifts to the Prez. The fact that the pup is being re-homed makes it all kosher.

The dog pictured below (right) is the actual dog the Obamas will be getting, courtesy FirstDogCharlie.com.

Launch photos

ps

Im just trying to understand where all the haters were back in November on election day!!!!!Because im seeing alot of hate here

Barb

I hope they have a full time groomer. They should have got a lab or a boxer.

Tom

Here is a link to an actual photo of the real dog.

lfr

So this is their idea of a shelter dog! What a bunch of crap! Now everybody will go out and get a Portuguese Water Dog and the breed will go to hell! The Kennedys should have kept their noses out of this if they cared about the breed! And the Obamas should have gotten a true shelter dog like they said they would!!

Joanne

What a bad example they are to their kids. Should have gotten a mutt from the local pound...

Jean

Why is this not a shelter dog? Because it was born at the home of a responsible breeder, you dolts. Responsible breeders always take puppies back if there is a problem and find new good homes on their own--without involving the shelters. This is one way the responsible breeders ae helping shelters, by seeing that their dogs are not dumped into the system. This was a puppy needing a good home. If one is an animal lover as the ARs (falsely) claim to be, you would be thrilled that it is now in a good home where it will be cared for and loved. The Animal Rights movement is full of hypocrites who do NOT want the best thing for pets. In fact, they want to do away with pets altogether.

lneal1670

As usually He has lied to the American People and is not getting a shelter dog. I am sure he will try to explain this away, but we all know that most of the people will just laugh it off because they think the sun and moon shine out of his A$$. But there are a few out there that have not drunk the Cool Aid and will continue to look upon him as A LIER.

Eileen Gatti

Ugly dog. Ooofa! Hope it's a nice dog for the kids.

CRTB

I don't understand why everyone is so upset that first family is renaming the dog. Even if he had gotten the dog from a shelter, he would have changed the dog's name. How many of you have kept the same name of a pet that you adopted? I know that I didn't! Some people name their pets the ugliest and stupidiest names. As the new pet owner, I am not obligated to call the pet that name for the rest of it's life. I rescued one cat whose name was "Chicken Fat" . I got another cat from a breeder who she named "Packidermus". (meaning elephant). Guess what! Animals learn their new names. One of my cats responds to all the other cats names because he thinks you're giving food.

P.S. I think it is cruel to refer to Michele as a dog. How old are you? Are you still in Middle school? Grow up!

alliepie

I don't care if the Biden's or Obama's get their dog at a shelter or through a breeder. Just don't try to tell me that you happened to find a thoroughbred well trained puppy in a shelter! These dogs cost at least 5000.00 for a regular one much less a kennedy one-which is my only hope that they won't become over bred- no one will be able to afford them.

josi

STOP BAD- MOUTHING THE POOR (WELL NOT REALLY) DOGGIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE LOOKS REALLY CUTE AND I (JUST LIKE THE OBAMA SISTERS) WANTED A DOG FOR A LONG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELL- I STILL WANT A DOG BUT I KEEP WAITING FOR IT TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IS IT WEIRD FOR ME TO WANT TO BE THE LUCKY DOG??????

Tara

WHY!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!!?!? Love how they promised a shelter dog and didn't exactly do that. If they wanted a "hypoallergenic" dog from a shelter, they had SO Many more options than this breed! Poodles, shih tzus, bichons, malteses, mini schnauzers, etc etc etc are ALL "hypoallergenic"!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for letting the shelter community down again.

2021 days ago

tc come outof the closet

The dog looks like Aunt Esther on a good day.

LuvsDogs

Oh Goody, the mentally lacking low self-esteem idiot ARs are at it again. Who gives if Obama gets a shelter dog? Are you going to send death threats to the breeder of this dog and to Obama like you did to Biden? I hope a few of you get arrested. I feel sorry for the lot of you. Your self-esteem is so low that you need to bolster it by playing the knight in shining armor for a bunch of shelter mutts thereby collecting kudos for your "work". Most of you are a bunch of ugly overweight women who can't get a date. Leave the rest of us alone. We'll get a dog wherever we dam well choose. I don't want a shelter mutt thank you. I'll get my dog from a responsible breeder. I want to know that the mother of my puppy was not a disease infested, psychotic time bomb. I want to know that the mother and father of my puppy were tested for genetic problems common in the breed. I want to know the mother of my puppy ate nutritious food while pregnant with my puppy. I want to know that my puppy was socialized during her first months of life. It's not your right to mandate from who and where I can get a dog.

pd

As an Obama supporter I am disappointed that he went back on his word to select a dog from a shelter and save a life.. Breeders make money from the dogs they breed which is tragic in itself..

'Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Pets Die'

Shame on the Obama's..