« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Witherspoon Fears Shot to the Face

4/12/2009 5:02 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Not willing to risk her A-list face and chin, Reese Witherspoon wore a protective mask while playing softball with her daughter on Friday.

media_removed_250.jpg

Jake Gyllenhaal's girlfriend ain't taking a ball to the face for just anyone.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

heather

what a tard.

a baseball to the face would probably improve that ugly mug

1933 days ago

Harvey Levin

why not wear a football helmet?

1933 days ago

pnut

I don't understand the statement that her face is how she makes her living. Isn't her acting ability what makes her living? She is in fact quite homely and that is without a doubt the biggest chin strap I have ever seen. Hollywood takes themselves way to seriously.. It's almost comical if it wasn't so ridiculous. Why not wear full body armour?

1933 days ago

DaniLu18

Well, some girls in softball do wear a mask like that. Most of the time it is because they have been hit in the face before from a softball line-drive. My high school was going to buy me one after my own catcher mixed up the trick plays and instead of throwing it to the short-stop, she threw it straight at my face when I was not looking... Luckily I was wearing a mouth piece and walked away with only a hairline fracture on my jaw... however, if you you're not a good catcher, its best if you do wear a mask.

1933 days ago

wasted days and wasted nights

Good for her--one never knows where those balls and bats are gonna fly Besides, some are playin' for fun and some are out there to crush the competition, no matter what. Best to be protected from the sports kooks, no matter their age.

1933 days ago

Laura S

I am a baseball Mom and I have seen some serious accidents from balls hitting the face. I say she is being smart. Even Pro Bull Riders wearing face gear. Where does everyone get off making fun of her?
Even bike riders wear helmets. So what if she is playing safe?

1933 days ago

friend

I'm glad she covered her hillbilly jaw... Think about making that mask permanent! Your chin is known for scaring children and some adults too.

1933 days ago

Miloyambag

I hope she doesn't wear this when she's alone with Jake. I mean after all, a woman has to know it's OK to take balls across the face every now and again!

1932 days ago

Capt. Howdy

She's gotta protect that pretty face.

1932 days ago

kathie!

She needs to take it off, hope the ball hits her on the chin and breaks off the extra that she has been carrying around.
She has Jay Leno chin syndrome.

1932 days ago

Jon

What a freak ! But anything that covers up that scary/freaky chin of hers is a good thing.

1932 days ago

Aussie Suck Rou Nuts

Looks tight around the chin.

1932 days ago

bex

absolutely rediculous... so what if she's wearing a protective face mask while playing softball - the fact that people feel the need to 'attack' her for it is extremely silly... IMO she's beautiful - and all it takes is 1 ball to give her a black eye, or broken nose, or split lip.
Amazes me how people feel the need to tear down celebs regardless of what they do.. if she wasn't wearing it.. it would be "omg look at how ugly she looks out there on the field, put on make up!" or "why is she wearing make-up to play baseball? she's so full of herself"

sad really.

1932 days ago

britbritisaskank

She is one of the rare classy ladies in what is fast becoming a very sleazy business. Credit where credit is due.

1932 days ago