Mel Gibson's Wife

Files for Divorce

4/13/2009 12:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

We've learned Mel Gibson's wife Robyn has just filed legal papers to divorce Mel Gibson, her husband of 28 years, citing "irreconcilable differences." Pretty ironic -- Robyn signed the papers the day before Good Friday.

Mel Gibson

Sources tell us there is no prenuptial agreement -- they were married in 1980, before Mel Gibson amassed a fortune estimated at $900 million back in 2006. Under the laws of California, community property -- which includes earnings -- is divided 50/50.

The Gibsons have 7 children, but only one -- Tom, who turns 10 tomorrow -- is a minor. In Robyn's legal papers, filed this morning in L.A. County Superior Court, she seeks joint physical and legal custody of Tom.

Robyn is also asking for spousal support and attorneys fees.

Robyn lists the date of separation as "to be determined." This is important, because earnings generally cease to be community property when the couple separates. There could be a skirmish over this. We're told the couple grew increasingly apart over the last few years, especially since Mel's drunk driving arrest in 2006.

There have been reports that Mel has been involved with another woman, which the actor denies, but we're told the reasons for the divorce go beyond any third party.

Launch PhotosIf there is a fight, Robyn is in good hands -- she's repped by disso-queen Laura Wasser, who has handled divorces for the likes of Angelina Jolie, Britney Spears and Stevie Wonder.

UPDATE: Robyn and Mel Gibson just issued a statement: "Throughout our marriage and separation we have always strived to maintain the privacy and integrity of our family and will continue to do so."

Sources tell TMZ the couple has been separated for more than 2 1/2 years. We'll see if Robyn agrees. Again, the separation date is important in dividing assets.

Previous 15 Comments | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26

opi

Mel's "chronic infidelity" makes him one of the biggest Hollywood hypocrites of my lifetime. It's just a shame that the gutless media didn't grill him about his YEARS of cheating during the Passion of the Christ, where he used his "family man" status to his advantage. Mel's been able to say he was good family man, while he's cheated non stop for years. I'm sure all those right winger religious people that embraced Mel's conservatism and "family values" are wishing they held back now.

1957 days ago

opi

There's nothing "hot" about Mel Gibson. He's an alcoholic, womanizing, anti-Semite who reeks of cigarettes from all the cancer sticks he chain smokes like a chimney. BLEH!

1957 days ago

Cassie

Some people love to hurl their racist hateful comments about people they disagree with. My first impression is to ignore them as they are th least likely to have any credibility whatsoever. The Gibsons had a very long marriage and they had their problems too but they have 6 fine kids who will always be their blessing from each other. She will probably walk away with several hundred million dollars and she was married to Mel Gibons for 28 years. and she has 6 wonderful children. She is going to be just fine and I pray that the public will let them work out their private issues privately.

1956 days ago

MamaBee

He said he felt like a baby machine in his marriage. What has chanaged, " He still is a baby machine". Get real!!!!!

Cine Rumor

So sad! Mel have had a entire life with Robyn. But, we're sure, Mel will find some pretty young girl very very soon!!!

1948 days ago

rod

another icon down the freaking drain !!!
divorce really sucks , it's always the guy's that suffer !!!
28 freakin' years.... c'mon !!!
viscious rules indeed !!!
if they want divorce , and they take pride in themselves, then,they should not even ask for half the freakin' fortune !!!
although i agree about support, it should'nt be that freakin' high of a price to pay !!!

apple valley girl

I feel sorry for the whole family. I also think that most of you people that have posted negative comments should look at your own lives a little closer. We all make mistakes, sometimes over and over before we learn(sadly some never do). The fact that he is a Catholic or a Christian does not mean he thinks he is perfect, just forgiven. Robyn has been a loving wife and for all accounts a good mother and obviously has had enough after 28 years. But after being married 18 years myself I know I am not always right neither is my husband. We have to work hard to keep "love alive". Fortunately we do not have the whole world scrutinizing our every move and analyzing every word we speak. So people get off your high horses and realize that Mel is just a man nothing more nothing less. Pray for the kids and give it a rest.

1940 days ago

Raquel

Many times when someone does work for God, like Mel Gibson producing the movie Passion of Christ, through which many people were converted,they get attacked by temptations. So just pray for him and his family for guidance, and don't criticize him.

Bob cads

Hi

beamo

mel you are one of a few people who says what everyone else is thinking , good luck to you sir

Mona Lisa Biberstein

How very very sad!! Hollywood chews and spits out everyone!! No one seems to be exempt...add alcoholism, drugs and heavy temptation to cheat on your spouse in the mix and it's trouble city!! I have often prayed for their family and most especially Robyn to remain strong and fight for her family. I continue to pray for all of them, especially now with this new allegation of domestic violence. Let me add, no one "deserves" to be hit and he is definitely in need of serious counseling if he really believes that; that he should even think to raise his hand against anyone, let alone a woman holding their child, is horrible. I do say, though, that adultery goes both ways - both are guilty if one of them is married!! I continue to pray for all parties involved and that, even now, I pray that Mel and Robyn reconcile and he receive CONSIDERABLE counseling (maybe that's wishful thinking but unless their marriage is annulled, there is still a chance unless he has been violent with Robyn as well). The family is under attack in the United States - wake up everyone and see this for what it is...No One is exempt from temptation, but with a strong commitment to God and each other in HOLY MATRIMONY (and willingness to forgive), CAN overcome all.

mary

Never mind, Lana. I agree with you, The guy is a loser, a bigot and a narcissist. If there is any justice in the world, his career should be over. Not a great loss, as far as I am concerned.

Danny

Now the REAL Mel Gibson comes out. Danny Glover carried your ass in the Lethal Weapon movies, and now you dare have the balls to use the " N " word.You've always been a glory hound and is always jealous of others success. You might as well retire now move to Australia or somewhere shes gonna take your ass to the bank Sunshine then you can really rant you sorry prick

DAVID

ONE BILLION DOLLARS FOR A DIVORCE CASE? IT'S BEGINING TO SOUND LIKE A MURDER CASE TO ME BUT DON'T WORRY MEL, GREED MONEY MAY BUY ANYTHING EXEPT THAT SPECIAL ITEM WHICH WAS TAKEN OUT OF THE MENU THE DAY JUDAS BETRAYED JESUS... "ETERNAL LIFE".

Reta

I hope that some who read these will see it has
not one thing to do with religion.If in fact it
did have something to do with religion,maybe it
is for our benefit and not theirs?I have been in
my second marriage well over 28 years.The first
was only a short 13 years.The difference in the
two are daylight and dark.No one knows what I was
put through in my first and no one knows what I go
through in this one.No one cares that just maybe I
was the instigator to the bad,and felt so sorry for
myself,that I made others see how bad my life was.
Maybe just maybe,the fault lies within us and is not
a new novel about to be written.Either way for every
story,there is another.For every thing we say and do
we have got to travel that same road again before we
meet the maker.It's not good to have the world judge
you when you didn't do anything to the world.My heart
goes out to Mel,not because he is a man,but because I
pretty much caused the same thing to happen all those
years ago.Others may forgive me and forget,but I never
will.When you constantly tell a man you are tired and
that all he does is wrong,he learns to know you mean it.
Eventually,he has the grace of God to let him meet ANY
one who thinks otherwise.The biggest mistake I see is
that he jumped on the rebound and now has to pay double.
Keep the faith Mel.The 28 years with the first cannot all
be her doings.She had to have seen something in you,to begin
with,and the money cannot be the source,of her staying with
you.She could have had the money either way.Think about it.

Previous 15 Comments | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26