Mel Gibson's Wife

Files for Divorce

4/13/2009 12:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

We've learned Mel Gibson's wife Robyn has just filed legal papers to divorce Mel Gibson, her husband of 28 years, citing "irreconcilable differences." Pretty ironic -- Robyn signed the papers the day before Good Friday.

Mel Gibson

Sources tell us there is no prenuptial agreement -- they were married in 1980, before Mel Gibson amassed a fortune estimated at $900 million back in 2006. Under the laws of California, community property -- which includes earnings -- is divided 50/50.

The Gibsons have 7 children, but only one -- Tom, who turns 10 tomorrow -- is a minor. In Robyn's legal papers, filed this morning in L.A. County Superior Court, she seeks joint physical and legal custody of Tom.

Robyn is also asking for spousal support and attorneys fees.

Robyn lists the date of separation as "to be determined." This is important, because earnings generally cease to be community property when the couple separates. There could be a skirmish over this. We're told the couple grew increasingly apart over the last few years, especially since Mel's drunk driving arrest in 2006.

There have been reports that Mel has been involved with another woman, which the actor denies, but we're told the reasons for the divorce go beyond any third party.

Launch PhotosIf there is a fight, Robyn is in good hands -- she's repped by disso-queen Laura Wasser, who has handled divorces for the likes of Angelina Jolie, Britney Spears and Stevie Wonder.

UPDATE: Robyn and Mel Gibson just issued a statement: "Throughout our marriage and separation we have always strived to maintain the privacy and integrity of our family and will continue to do so."

Sources tell TMZ the couple has been separated for more than 2 1/2 years. We'll see if Robyn agrees. Again, the separation date is important in dividing assets.

gurlsnguns

Mel is some kind of prize, an alcoholic AND a cheater! After bearing Mel's 7 children and putting up with his behavior for 28 years, she's clearly had enough. To see photos of your husband kissing another woman in Costa Rica recently was probably the last straw. I can't imagine anyone wanting to spend the rest of their lives in a marriage like that. ROBYN filed for divorce, not Mel.

Mrs Patrick Campbell

Mel is a very discrete - though known - hollywood homosexual.

Mel does not need that old hag anyway!

L.S

what took her so long?

onetexasdem

I wonder when she'll be ready to start dating again. I'm interested. She's got that kind of money? She was married to Mel? I may not be handsome but I know I'm better looking than him. Robyn, with your money, we can have a great time.

cheyenne

Hey..they had a good run.

onetexasdem

Robyn when your ready to start dating again call me. I'm not handsome but I'm better looking than Mel and with that money, we'll have a great time.

Wussy

I am sorry that this is happening, but not surprised. Robin has been the one who has held the family together, has stayed home and raised the kids. I am sure that Mel knows what he owes her, and 50% doesn't begin to cover it!!!

enuf

28 years is almost unheard of in Hollyweird-hope it stays private and undramatic for their kids' sake....

AJ

Evil person. I avoid anything to do with him.

GLO

Well after twenty eight years with this arrogant blowhard, she deserves a break. She had him when his pretty face made up for his faults, and she has raised all but one of her kids, and can now live a life of plenty without putting up with drunkeness, and disrespect.

crazykwan

nowthatscrazy

Devon

Wow.....28 years? Sad that it has to end this way though.

agree

She'll be better for, he won't. That's just the way it is.

Joan

He is a disgrace to the Catholic religion and is a anti semetic, chain smokng alcoholic, cheating husband too and I would have dumped him years ago but being Catholic I guess his wife stayed. He blames the Jews. Jewish women would have not stayed with a man that did what Mel has done & dumped him long ago.
My heart goes out to the children and his wife should take him for all he has. Let him go to his bigoted father if he is still living. They deserve each other.

George

Mel what is wrong with you, you messed up. This is said to hear. Now the media will be all over you.