Mel Gibson's Wife

Files for Divorce

4/13/2009 12:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

We've learned Mel Gibson's wife Robyn has just filed legal papers to divorce Mel Gibson, her husband of 28 years, citing "irreconcilable differences." Pretty ironic -- Robyn signed the papers the day before Good Friday.

Mel Gibson

Sources tell us there is no prenuptial agreement -- they were married in 1980, before Mel Gibson amassed a fortune estimated at $900 million back in 2006. Under the laws of California, community property -- which includes earnings -- is divided 50/50.

The Gibsons have 7 children, but only one -- Tom, who turns 10 tomorrow -- is a minor. In Robyn's legal papers, filed this morning in L.A. County Superior Court, she seeks joint physical and legal custody of Tom.

Robyn is also asking for spousal support and attorneys fees.

Robyn lists the date of separation as "to be determined." This is important, because earnings generally cease to be community property when the couple separates. There could be a skirmish over this. We're told the couple grew increasingly apart over the last few years, especially since Mel's drunk driving arrest in 2006.

There have been reports that Mel has been involved with another woman, which the actor denies, but we're told the reasons for the divorce go beyond any third party.

Launch PhotosIf there is a fight, Robyn is in good hands -- she's repped by disso-queen Laura Wasser, who has handled divorces for the likes of Angelina Jolie, Britney Spears and Stevie Wonder.

UPDATE: Robyn and Mel Gibson just issued a statement: "Throughout our marriage and separation we have always strived to maintain the privacy and integrity of our family and will continue to do so."

Sources tell TMZ the couple has been separated for more than 2 1/2 years. We'll see if Robyn agrees. Again, the separation date is important in dividing assets.

Bo

BIG surprise!!!! This wasn't the first woman - than goodness she finally got tired of looking the other way

fay

Fosh damn what took her so long? Get that paper girl. I'm sure you had to put up with a WHOLE LOT OF S**T with this man!

abc

I heard Mel is romantically involved with a woman of the Jewish faith. The stranger things are...the stranger they get.

Bill

Robyn should be glad to get rid of the Jew hater, the HOMOPHOBE, the alcoholic, the womanizer and all the crap that he brings along with him. I hope the children will not be blamed and will realize the necessity of being honest and good.

VITO

THEY ALL WANT U WHEN YOUR YOUNG AND CUTE...I THINK MEL STILL LOOKS GOOD I HOPE HE FINDS SOMEONE ELSE...I HEARD SHE LEFT HIM FOR BRAD PITT...WATCH OUT ANGIE..HOLLOWOOD YUCK

jgl

I am so glad she will be rid of his hypocritical butt. You know and I know he has been a philanderer all of his life. He is like many men in my family and the communities around us. He is the worst kind of pig. He is like my Ex."As long as I am discreet it is nothing to you." He fakes, though really believes, he is a good catholic, but it is what he learned from that nasty father of his, not from a good and honorable priest. Despite his age, he has the mentality of men form two or three eras ago. He hates women really. He hates Jews. He hates himself most of all. The reason he is a fairly good actor, is because he is acting 24/7. He is not a real man. I am glad she will be free of him. I hope she meets a kind and honorable man. She is a beautiful mature woman. He can find plenty of young pretty skanks. That is what he deserves. I guarantee that is what he has been boinking for decades behind the bask of the "lady" he was married to. Good luck Robyn!

Lorna Cole

Harper...you say Opus Dei. Let's hope Robyn doesn't wind up missing. $400 million is a lot of money by anyone's standards; and I sure Mel wants to hang on to his status as the richest actor in Hollyweird.

Sapphyre

Over the years, there has been photos and rumors that he was messing with other women. His wife, I heard, is a strict Catholic and did her best to maintain her marriage and give him family and freedom. Since The Passion of the Christ, it seems that demons have been attacking Mel and instead of embracing his faith, he is letting the demons take control.
I have always liked Mel and hope he can overcome his problems. He had a good wife that tolerated his wildness for as long as she could.

GIZMO

SATISH BHARDWAJ ...WHAT EVER MAKES YOU THINK SHE WANTS ANOTHER MAN. BELIEVE IT OR NOT SHE MAY BE PERFECTLY HAPPY TO BE WITHOUT ONE. SHE WILL BE A WEALTHY VIBRANT WOMAN. THERE ARE MANY MEN WHO WOULD BE HAPPY TO HAVE A WOMAN LIKE HER. WHAT DOES MENOPAUSE HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING. WHY IS IT OK FOR MEL GIBSON TO SQUEEZE A YOUNGER GIRL OR TWO. WHERE ARE YOU FROM???? I CAN'T DECIDE IF YOU ARE A BROW BEATEN WOMAN FROM SOME COUNTRY WHERE THE MEN HAVE NO RESPECT FOR THEIR WOMAN AND FEEL THAT THEY ARE 2ND CLASS CITIZENS OR IF YOU ARE A MAN FROM THE SAME PLACE. WE AMERICAN WOMAN DON'T JUST SIT AND LET OUR MEN HAVE A DOUBLE STANDARD. IT WON'T BE HARD FOR HER TO ATTRACT A REAL MAN. YOU NEED TO COME INTO THE WORLD TODAY AND GET OUT OF THE DARK AGES.

DMH

Well it seems to me that Robyn has just lost 250 lbs of ugly and dangerous fat! Who would want to live with a sexist, homophobic, anti-semitic, meglomaniac? He's moving on out, and she's moving on up!

Jeffrey H. Baer

He probably thought she was responsible for all the wars in the world.

jordan77

Well, considering that she lived in Australia through his career, it sounds like he just came back to visit his wife and kids every now and again between film projects. They've probably just been friends for quite some time. And considering that he's worth 900 million, not bothering to file for divorce was probably a business decision. whatever....

Angiebaby

I'm always sad to see a marriage end, but if Mel Gibson is going to act like a single man he might as well be one.

Liz

To LisaL -- there was most likely infidelity on his part so she's probably well justified in asking him to pay her lawyer fees. To be fair though, their marriage did last a very long time so I wouldn't call this "just another Hollywood marriage down the drain;" they were married longer than a great many people famous or not famous. He married a non-celebrity and had a large family that was largely out of the public eye. I for one am sad to hear their marriage is ending.

ATLchick

Divorce is a sad, sad thing, I hope by some miracle they can work it out.