Backstreet Boy Battles Demons in the Lion's Den

4/17/2009 11:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

For a guy who claims he's serious about staying sober -- why does recovering alcoholic A.J. McLean of the Backstreet Boys keep trekking back into the dangerously tempting Hollywood club scene!?!

AJ McLean -- click to play
Don't get us wrong, we're rooting for him to stay clean -- but for a guy who fell off the wagon just a couple of months ago (see: Key Club incident) -- maybe the bar he was at last night isn't the best place to kick it nowadays.

Remember the old saying -- when you play with fire, you get drunk.

artie help

a.j. stands for alcohol and joints. So sad I tried really hard to help him out. I'm here for you dude.

ozzman

jackass...

BaldOuting.blogspot.com

this guy is too old to be out clubbing.

Bill Cosby

He said in an interview a while back that he was also very much addicted to cocaine at some point.

Me!

No one has any idea what it's like to grow up in the spotlight like he has. He doesn't stand for drugs, alcohol, etc. when he was sober for many, many years. I think he looks great and I'm excited for the new single!

oL0

I love Backstreet Boys.. AJ is an awesome person. Don't try to make him out to be a douche.. TMZ enjoys destroying people's lives. He is not doing what most of America does in their free time. Come on TMBSZ.

oL0

I don't know how most of the writers on TMZ get through life talking crap about celebs. Karma is a bitch. I'd love to see your records.

TORI

I love AJ to and want him to stay clean and sober but it's true, going to clubs is very unhealthy. He's putting himself into temptations that are very hard to stay away from. He needs rehab, he can't do it himself. I see he's smoking a cigarette, that again is so unhealthy. He's a singer which is his livelyhood. He's only destroying himself which is very hard to watch. I myself have a family member whose an alcoholic and it's very dibilitating to watch especially when the person is in denial and won't help themselves.

Sebastian Stoker

What else are you going to do when your career is ancient history and you are not quite even middle-aged? Let him drown his sorrows.

Delicious

never was a backstreet boy fan and never will be.... lame a$$ group! A come back with the same name back street boy go figure, they are no longer boys they are grown old f@rts

KimL.A.~West (kimasabe)

Hey? Backstreet Boys are recording their new album right now @ their longtime Hollywood studio. That's why he's IN Hollywood, plus the fact he mostly lives here. He's trying to get back on his program so, we are still hoping he will get there. BSB just complete a hugely successfuly global tour, of over 100 concert dates... EVERYWHERE, inc. @ Hollywood Palladium, 11/23/08. So, for all the not so kind ppl posting here: www.backstreetboys.com

JEN2K

Alcoholism for most people is a choice just like any other drug or behaviour. I believe a small percentage of the human race has the 'addiction gene' which makes them vulnerable to heroin, crack, ice, meth, alcohol, ect . . .

Why is he CLUBBING? Because thats what people in his business do. He has to be seen at the CELEBRITY SCENE.

I suspect this fellow was/is playing his 'VICES' for publicity similar to Brittney Spears but is handling it a little better.

DW

Is it just me or is everyone starting to look like Paul Giamatti?

Steph

WHY DO SMOKERS THINK IT'S OK TO THROW THEIR BUTTS ON THE GROUND? DAMN LITTERERS!

tina

Haven't you heard if you keep hanging out at the barber shop your bound to end up with a haircut!!

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments