Oprah: 'Aha!' I Got You!

4/24/2009 12:27 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Oprah Winfrey just had another Aha! Moment -- when she decided to wage a legal war against an insurance company using her signature catchphrase.

Oprah Winfrey

Just a few days ago, Oprah's lawyers fired off a cease and desist letter to Mutual of Omaha demanding they shut down their plans to run a gigantic advertising campaign with the slogan, "Official sponsor of the aha moment."

In the letter, sent April 21, Oprah's peeps claim they have the rights to the "Aha Moment" slogan and they threatened to sue because O doesn't want Mutual to mislead her fans into thinking she's associated with them.

But Mutual of Omaha is fighting back with a lawsuit, claiming that even if Oprah had trademark rights to the phrase, she "abandoned" those rights by failing to "police their alleged mark" when other businesses used it in the past.

In the suit, filed Wednesday in federal court in Nebraska, Mutual asks the judge to rule that they have the right to use the phrase in their campaign.

A rep for O tells us, "Harpo has not filed a lawsuit or counterclaim against Mutual of Omaha. We hope to reach an amicable resolution on this issue."

SHUT UP DEMS

OPRAH WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE YOUR JUST A DUMB ASS THAT THINKS CAUSE YOU OPEN YOUR BIG MOUTH THAT THEIR GOING TO LESTEN TO YOU QUIT READING YOUR OWEN PRESS AND COME BACK DOWN TO EARTH OBAMAWOOD DRAMA IS ALL YOU REALY ARE.

Terri

Well I like Oprah, almost always. I used to be a daily watcher, but haven't been for more than a few years now. I watch a couple times a week or perhaps 4 or 5 times a month if I'm home. As for her having the money to fight, excuse me, the lady has billions of dollars, of course she has the money to fight. However, I don't think she should, I see it as stupid and senseless and it should not be something owned by her. If she does want to fight it, go ahead let her spend her big money, but I hope she loses.

Nik

Who does she think she is!? What a GREEDY, SELFISH, PIG she is! Just because she uses an expression that THOUSANDS of people used before her, she thinks she has the right to it...because she is Oprah Winfrey?!!! It's like her viewers are brainwashed...they follow every word that comes out of her mouth like a cult, which just makes her more money. Stop falling for her crap!

SHUT UP DEMS

OPRAH IS JUST FAT AND FULL OF HER SELF THATS WHY HER BOY FRIEND FOUND SOMEONE ELSE. JUST BECAUSE OBAMA NO DRAMA IS YOUR BEST FRIEND YOU THINK IF YOU OPEN YOUR BIG MOUTH IT'S AS GOOD AS DONE. OPRAH IT'S TIME TO GO AWAY WERE DONE WATCHING YOU TALK TO MUCH ABOUT THINGS YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.

Wow

Unless she copyrighted it, she doesn't have a case.

Roni in Downey

In real life, Oprah is not a very intelligent person. I used to watch her show, but I rarely tune in now. She has the money to hire very smart people who make her look good. I'm amazed that Stedman has stayed around as long as he has. But, then again, money talks.......................

nan

The really funny thing is she really believes that she invented the phrase. How incredibly stupid and arrogant! My mother used that same phrase at least 20 years before Oprah 'thinks' she thought of it. She has an obnoxiously overinflated opinion of herself.

Steph

I cannot stand this arrogant, disgusting woman!!! Oprah, go away!!!

Just Noticing

Oh Krikes, Oprah! I love you but let this one go. You don't own everything, and you're rich enough. Dang!

Inny

What do you think about that Max Keiser?

An over rated, over paid, fat, black ,teleprompter reader....

is ONLY respected because she has more toilet paper currency...

than most people.

Her producers made that show...

and everyone knows it.

What's $2 billion times zero.

It's still zero. .

rj

I HATE TO TELL OPRAH BUT she did not originate this phrase! AND if you didn't make it up originally you should not be trademarking it! Talk about AUDACIOUS! This woman is OUT OF CONTROL. I hope Mutual of Omaha wipes the floor with her! Oprah being associated with any commerical endeavor would be a minus for the company in my personal opinion.

RedBird

You'd think she'd trademark "egomaniacal fat ass" since it's the phrase most often associated with her.

HAHAHAHA

i am so over this fat azz bitch...so what ya got money, how much money does this fat azz cow need......what she needs to pay gayle for her (lesbian sevices), oprah you suck big time...nasty fat azz rich friggin ho!

Chastidee

They do have the right to use it. They're not saying they created the phrase and they never said Oprah has anything to do with their company. Dang Oprah!

RONICA MYREE

OPRAH YOUR EGO IS AS BIG AS YOUR AZZ, AHA YOU THINK YOU THE FIRST TO SAY THAT WOW!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments