Bea Arthur Dies at 86

4/25/2009 4:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bea ArthurA family spokesman for Bea Arthur says the actress has died.

Spokesman Dan Watt says Arthur had cancer, but did not offer any further details. Arthur passed away at home early this morning.

Arthur is most well-known for her roles in "The Golden Girls" and "Maude."

Rue McClanahan who played Blanche Devereaux on "The Golden Girls" issued the following statement about Bea's passing to TMZ: "37 years ago she showed me how to be very brave in playing comedy. I'll miss that courage and I'll miss that voice."

BEve

RIP, friend. Saw you at the Savoy in London a few years ago, you were amazing.
You shined a beautiful Light - may it guide you on your journey.

Tutti Froooooty

I AM CRYING DEEP IN MY HEART!!! Bea Arthur is a one in a million comedic actress and Golden Girls can NEVER be duplicated!! We Love you Bea!!!!!!!!!

Awesome

Bout time

janet

A Golden Girl forever love your work Rest in Peace Sweet Lady!

Candy1984

Bobp

God, I loved her. They don't make actresses like her anymore. Farewell, Bea, Sleep well.

Candy1984

For my depression you gave me so much laughter and hope!

Jules

She was on an episode of Malcom in the Middle. She was hilarious.

Powerrangergeek

I love u bea i watch u every night and morning for life.............. R.I.P

RxKing

So enjoyed watching anything in which Bea Arthur played a role. She had the best dead-pan line deliveries, dry wit and forceful dialogue of any actress from her generation. Her commanding deep voice, often laced with sarcasm and those priceless facial expressions will remain legendary, never to be duplicated. Her ability to convey warmth and affection with such a style speaks to her amazing talent as a character actor. We will miss you, Bea, but will continue to visit you often in living rooms across the world. God Bless.

goldengirlfan

I grew up watching the Golden Girls, and I loved the dynamic of Sophia and Dorthy's relationship. Bea had the wittiest sense of humor. I am crying for this tremendous loss. The golden girls is so unique because generations later people, especially young people, still love the show now just as much as adults did in the 80's. It is a true reflection of what great writers and excellent actors - regardless of age - can accomplish when given the opportunity. Rest in Peace Bea, we will miss you tremendously.

Meri

Awww-I didn't know she had been ill. Loved her and all the Girls in "Golden Girls".Rest In Peace,dear lady. I will miss
you.

nelly forbush

When I watch The Golden Girls, I'm immediately brought back to a good times and happy memories in my life. Both my grandmother were still alive and they would come up to my parents house for the weekends and we would all sit around the TV and watch the Golden Girls, together as a family. It was my grandmothers who loved that show and turned me into a fan. Those days are gone now, both my grandmothers passed on a while ago but every time I watch that show I'm brought right back to those great days when my whole family was still intact. Good bye Bea, and thanks for helping crate great memories with my family.

Ninna

To Miss Arthur's family, My deepest sympathy! She was a very tatented actress that will be greatly missed.

Jen

Bea was truly a one in a million woman. Her individual style of acting, her dry, sharp, sarcastic sense of humor. And then she turned it around in the blink of an eye and broke your heart with hear warm sensitivity. I grew up watching her with my Grandmother and watch her to this day. RIP Ms Arthur. You will be missed.