Bea Arthur Dies at 86

4/25/2009 4:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bea ArthurA family spokesman for Bea Arthur says the actress has died.

Spokesman Dan Watt says Arthur had cancer, but did not offer any further details. Arthur passed away at home early this morning.

Arthur is most well-known for her roles in "The Golden Girls" and "Maude."

Rue McClanahan who played Blanche Devereaux on "The Golden Girls" issued the following statement about Bea's passing to TMZ: "37 years ago she showed me how to be very brave in playing comedy. I'll miss that courage and I'll miss that voice."

youki

I was reading the comments thinking I'm sure no one is mean enough to say something stupid until I reached number 34! You are a sad and mean person. She was a fantastic lady. RIP.

xcalibur

WOW, WILL BETTY WHITE BE NEXT? SHE WAS BORN IN 1922 SAME AS BEA.. AGED 87. JUST SAYIN..

Doug Grattan

Thank you for being a friend....

honesty

Thank you so much for how many times you have made me laugh, look at something a different way, or just kept me intrigued. You could sing, dance, act, and do each one extremely well. Loved you in Auntie Mame, to anything else I ever saw you perform. A true class act at all times.

Irishgirl

Wow-it's so nice to see that I am not the only one who still watches the Golden Girls everyday!! Bea will be sorely missed, but the laughter she gave us will live on and on!!

anonymous

I watch the Golden Girls frequently and I'm sad to see that she passed. She was a good actress.

NiceGuy

Man what a shock!! I grew up watching her when she first appeared on All in the family then Maude. I didn't care too much for Golden Girls,it was Maude that she was the best comical actress on CBS in the 70's.
GOD WILL GET HER NOW!

mira

RIP and thank you for all the laughs, you will be missed.

ThankYouVeryMuchBea

THANK YOU FOR BEING A FRIEND!!!!!!!

Brian Peppers

So I guess no reunion show?

Jho

I still watch the Golden Girls everyday and Bea/Dorothy was my favorite. I agree that her comedic delivery will never be matched. My favorite lines were usually directed at Stan. You will be missed.

DBGRANNIE

RIP PRAYERS TO HER FAMILY. I REALLY ENJOYED WATCHING HER . SHE MADE ME SMILE,

Davey

I was sad to hear the news! I grew up watching the Golden girls with my grandparents. I still watch them today on the hallmark Channel. She was a true actress with her facial expressions...and that's what made me laugh. And her always yelling 'MAAA"! may she rest in peace with estel getty:)

sandyduncansglasseye

Thanks for the laughs.....you were one in a million. Rest in peace, Bea. Have a ball with all the great company you are surrounded by right now

John

Thanks for the memories, Bea.

We will miss you.

The LEGENDS are disappearing.